Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

6 Mar, 2020
2020-3-6 7:42:26 PM UTC
Lovely. I like the traycase as well - nicely done.
6 Mar, 2020
2020-3-6 8:26:56 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

I feel like the people who put those tray-cases together should be doing the cases for new publications. I can only speak for myself but I rarely like slip-cases and generally like these after market trays.
6 Mar, 2020
2020-3-6 10:50:19 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Stu wrote:

I feel like the people who put those tray-cases together should be doing the cases for new publications. I can only speak for myself but I rarely like slip-cases and generally like these after market trays.

Yeah, I got a two-coloured blue and green buckram one with one of my Hobbits -- I really like it. No idea who made it, but is far better looking and more useful than a slipcase.
7 Mar, 2020
2020-3-7 12:23:56 AM UTC
If anybody has a lead on who made that tray-case please let me know. I would love to get one for my copy of "A Northern Venture" (and maybe for some other items as well).
7 Mar, 2020
2020-3-7 6:58:15 AM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:
If anybody has a lead on who made that tray-case please let me know. I would love to get one for my copy of "A Northern Venture" (and maybe for some other items as well).

I'll ask the seller, maybe he knows more...
7 Mar, 2020
2020-3-7 7:06:42 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Stu wrote:

I agree with you: these tray-cases provide much more protection against sunlight even for the spine -this little booklet has no spine, but so what
7 Mar, 2020
2020-3-7 9:22:28 AM UTC

Ithildin wrote:

Aelfwine wrote:

I'll ask the seller, maybe he knows more...

I've got the answer now, but unfortunately he bought it himself like that - sorry
7 Mar, 2020
2020-3-7 4:47:35 PM UTC

Ithildin wrote:

My favorite find, though, is this review of A Northern Venture in the July 12, 1923 issue (p. 474)

My favorite find is the booklet itself
I've just picked it up from my local post office...

What an amazing acquisition!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!
7 Mar, 2020
2020-3-7 4:50:01 PM UTC
By the way, that is the simplest and the most economical of a cloth backed solander casing design. Although it could get a little costly, you can always contact established binderies (the Chelsea, Temple, Bayntun Riviere, Sangorski) for truly work of art solander casings.
7 Mar, 2020
2020-3-7 7:50:40 PM UTC

The_Antiquarian wrote:
By the way, that is the simplest and the most economical of a cloth backed solander casing design. Although it could get a little costly, you can always contact established binderies (the Chelsea, Temple, Bayntun Riviere, Sangorski) for truly work of art solander casings.

I think the nice thing is exactly that it IS just a simple cloth-backed solander. I personally don't really like sophisticating something that is itself really simple with something particularly fancy, even if that fancy thing is - of itself - a pleasant thing to look at. That said, I don't like a lot of rebinds either - simple, not too many hubs, not too much gilt, not too many colours, etc. Of course, all these things are a matter of personal taste, and I come from a family of engineers, not a family of architects!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us