Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

12 Apr, 2020
2020-4-12 9:03:05 PM UTC

Stu wrote:
Literally who cares when this stuff is released? It will be released in due course, maybe on time, maybe not.

The only thing I care about at the moment is my mother in law who is going through her second round of chemo after an 18 month battle with cancer. One she is winning gallantly I might add. Chemotherapy, radiology, breast removal, more radiology and now chemo. And as I had symptoms I can not now be anywhere near her yet I have been the main person to take care of her during hospital visits and the like. So books? They can pretty much fall off into the great void. I couldn't care less.
12 Apr, 2020
2020-4-12 9:12:06 PM UTC
Well excuse me for looking forward to something to escape reality.
12 Apr, 2020
2020-4-12 9:32:33 PM UTC
Guys, come on, this is a forum about books. Don't all jump on the guy for asking a few perfectly reasonable questions about books...

Altho', book logistics is pretty boring insurrbution! ;)
12 Apr, 2020
2020-4-12 11:40:14 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Stu wrote:
Literally who cares when this stuff is released? It will be released in due course, maybe on time, maybe not.

The only thing I care about at the moment is my mother in law who is going through her second round of chemo after an 18 month battle with cancer. One she is winning gallantly I might add. Chemotherapy, radiology, breast removal, more radiology and now chemo. And as I had symptoms I can not now be anywhere near her yet I have been the main person to take care of her during hospital visits and the like. So books? They can pretty much fall off into the great void. I couldn't care less.

All the best with you MIL. It is super-hard not being able to see people when they need you the most.
12 Apr, 2020
2020-4-12 11:42:29 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Guys, come on, this is a forum about books. Don't all jump on the guy for asking a few perfectly reasonable questions about books...

Altho', book logistics is pretty boring insurrbution! ;)

I agree, and it wasn't my intention to jump too hard -- I just think the question itself is a *tad* insensitive, especially when couched along the lines of (paraphrasing) "other products are managing to release on time / managing to provide consistent release dates". Publishers will do what they can in order to continue earning money, given the logistical constraints they, their employees and distribution network face.
13 Apr, 2020
2020-4-13 12:03:58 AM UTC
No damage done - I don't want to make enemies here. I think it's safe to say we'll all be glad when this is over with....when we can see our people and talk about it as if it's a distant memory.

All the best to everyone :) (and any update from those who have close contact w/ HarperCollins would be appreciated :P)
13 Apr, 2020
2020-4-13 11:17:06 AM UTC

Stu wrote:
All the best with you MIL. It is super-hard not being able to see people when they need you the most.

Thanks Stu, it is a really complicated and stressful time with this added virus stuff. When this all started kicking off I thought the signs were there t suggest it would get worse so I self-isolated quite rigidly and had not seen anybody for over a month already when she had her operation, only shopping for absolute essentials and a little exercise in the street at night when it was empty and the risk was the lowest. I still got symptoms and her doctors have told me to stay away. In fact they have told us all to stay away, so now it is balcony visits only and she has to go to chemo on her own. That is the most frustrating part, that after all this time I now have no power to help her beyond kind words. Fortunately the hospital thought ahead and enlisted a group of taxi drivers who have also self isolated and only carry hospital patients so she has the same driver and he is lovely, he helps her with her bag, getting to the room and back home after, he even knows where all the coffee stuff is now and makes her a coffee after. The goodness of people shins through.

Then I see all the idiots ignoring the very serious situation we are in and having parties, taking trips to the beach and so on. Those people are so selfish.

insurrbution I was not meaning to downplay your interests so I apologize, it is nice to look forward to things.
13 Apr, 2020
2020-4-13 11:20:07 AM UTC
“May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out”
13 Apr, 2020
2020-4-13 12:29:50 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:
(and any update from those who have close contact w/ HarperCollins would be appreciated :P)

I have contacted HarperCollins staff about a couple of issues recently and will share part of the response, I don’t have copies of the latest hardback and paperback editions to hand - and it’s unlikely that I’ll be travelling into the office soon to retrieve them

My update is that they are in the same position as we all are, and that they do not know themselves on changes to new release dates?
13 Apr, 2020
2020-4-13 3:10:09 PM UTC
I think, the books are due to be PUBLISHED on their initial dates - however, certain retailers may receive them at different times. IE: I can see Blackwell's getting their stock before Amazon, as Blackwell's is essentially a bookshop.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us