Tolkien Collector's Guide

Want to support us? Use our affiliate links for buying books:

Abebooks.com
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
Blackwell's
ebay.com
ebay.co.uk

-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Apr 14
2020/4/14 15:12:54 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Beren and Luthien should have come out before The Fall of Gondolin did - just like the books.
Apr 14
2020/4/14 20:30:06 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Won't buy - if I have to have a subscription and/or muck about ripping off the largely-pointless DRM to guarantee lifetime access to what I have paid for, I'm not getting involved.
Apr 14
2020/4/14 21:30:13 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:
Won't buy - if I have to have a subscription and/or muck about ripping off the largely-pointless DRM to guarantee lifetime access to what I have paid for, I'm not getting involved.

I consider DRM controls to be illegal and I will never respect them no matter the consequences of removing them. There is no evidence that it protects products and does much to harm consumers.

Once I purchase a digital product I am going to use it how I choose on whatever devices I choose and I will not be forced to retain a certain device to continue using it.

So I will purchase items that are DRM controlled but will remove the DRM if I can or find an alternate solution. Often going to a pirate ship or other online enterprise to get a version stripped of its DRM.
Apr 15
2020/4/15 14:10:29 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
It can also be purchased 'as is' off of iTunes and Google Play stores. If you don't ever switch from Apple to Android, or vice versa, DRM is not an issue, nor propriarty formats.
Apr 15
2020/4/15 14:56:33 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

insurrbution wrote:
It can also be purchased 'as is' off of iTunes and Google Play stores. If you don't ever switch from Apple to Android, or vice versa, DRM is not an issue, nor propriarty formats.

To be fair, iTunes is not an issue anymore. Many Android apps now play iTunes libraries and their content is easy to take hold of outside of their devices. That said, I do not use Apple products simply because of how dictatorial they once were and I have found no reason to change that stance in the years since.
Apr 15
2020/4/15 21:56:14 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

onthetrail wrote:

insurrbution wrote:
It can also be purchased 'as is' off of iTunes and Google Play stores. If you don't ever switch from Apple to Android, or vice versa, DRM is not an issue, nor propriarty formats.

To be fair, iTunes is not an issue anymore. Many Android apps now play iTunes libraries and their content is easy to take hold of outside of their devices. That said, I do not use Apple products simply because of how dictatorial they once were and I have found no reason to change that stance in the years since.

iTunes doesn't have DRM on anything, right? They just encode your AppleID into the m4a IIRC, so if you spread it around they can identify the guilty party. Of course it means giving Apple money for operating a store which should be broken apart for anti-trust reasons, so there is that...
Apr 15
2020/4/15 22:15:54 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

insurrbution wrote:
It can also be purchased 'as is' off of iTunes and Google Play stores. If you don't ever switch from Apple to Android, or vice versa, DRM is not an issue, nor propriarty formats.

To be fair, iTunes is not an issue anymore. Many Android apps now play iTunes libraries and their content is easy to take hold of outside of their devices. That said, I do not use Apple products simply because of how dictatorial they once were and I have found no reason to change that stance in the years since.

iTunes doesn't have DRM on anything, right? They just encode your AppleID into the m4a IIRC, so if you spread it around they can identify the guilty party. Of course it means giving Apple money for operating a store which should be broken apart for anti-trust reasons, so there is that...

I have to confess to not knowing an awful lot about how Apple operate with DRM/AppleID but your suggestion does ring true from previous reading elsewhere. Their unique protection was always the format itself so I imagine they never really needed a DRM tool as such. Now almost any app can play almost every file format so that ship has sailed of course.

I would be far more fearful of purchasing items that bake in personal details like that than any DRM tool though. If they have added personal details then what else is sat in there?
Apr 30
2020/4/30 8:06:22 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Beren and Luthien audiobook out today on Audible, have downloaded it and removed the DRM, nearly 7 hours of listening to do now.
Apr 30
2020/4/30 17:42:13 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Trotter wrote:
Beren and Luthien audiobook out today on Audible, have downloaded it and removed the DRM, nearly 7 hours of listening to do now.

Same! Glad they decided to do this with B&L too.
Apr 30
2020/4/30 17:43:01 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Jump to Last