Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

3 Mar, 2020
2020-3-3 9:22:26 AM UTC
"Custom illustrated slipcase" does not sound remotely promising. Makes me think of the Sketchbooks...
3 Mar, 2020
2020-3-3 12:16:43 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

All three artists are making new artwork for the new illustrated edition, that I am aware of.

Oh sorry, didn't see this post. So there will be new illustrations. Great news.
3 Mar, 2020
2020-3-3 12:24:45 PM UTC
By now I am only looking to buy Tolkien related items that offer new content from the man himself so I am kind of glad this sounds like a minimal effort affair.
5 Mar, 2020
2020-3-5 1:56:38 AM UTC
Now I'm curious what the slipcase will look like. My guess is the same style, but slightly 'jazzed up', like how Letters From Father Christmas and the upcoming Sir Gawain and the Green Knight are more 'decorated.'
5 Mar, 2020
2020-3-5 2:18:27 AM UTC
From HarperCollins:

It was 40 years ago that Unfinished Tales was first published, taking readers on an enchanted journey deeper into Middle-earth, from the First Age of The Silmarillion, the Second Age of Númenor and the rise of Sauron, to the Third Age of The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings. Contained within are magical tales by J.R.R. Tolkien and edited by his son, Christopher, that expand the world of these beloved books.

To celebrate its 40th anniversary, we are hugely excited to announce that Unfinished Tales is for the very first time going to be illustrated, by not one but three of the finest Tolkien artists in the world. John Howe, Alan Lee & Ted Nasmith will each be contributing brand new paintings that depict the Three Ages of Middle-earth in glorious colour. This new edition will be published in October 2020 and will feature 18 full-colour paintings together with a stunning brand-new dustjacket. There will also be a special collector’s edition housed in a fully illustrated slipcase.

This sounds like it will be similar to the Alan Lee slipcase sketchbooks.
5 Mar, 2020
2020-3-5 2:40:50 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:
This sounds like it will be similar to the Alan Lee slipcase sketchbooks.

That was my guess, too. Hopefully the implementation is a bit better than for those, which had problems with tearing along the edges (and maybe they could put the barcode and guff on the bottom if they really can't just use a slip of paper).
7 Mar, 2020
2020-3-7 1:23:50 AM UTC
It also appears - as of now - that in terms of size dimensions, the standard edition will match the usual Tolkien standard edition, and likewise with the deluxe.

This pulled off BookDepository, but could also be a placeholder:

Standard:
Format Hardback | 496 pages
Dimensions 149 x 228mm | 270g
Publication date 01 Oct 2020
Publisher HarperCollins Publishers
Imprint HarperCollins Publishers Ltd
Publication City/Country London, United Kingdom

Deluxe:
Format Hardback | 496 pages
Dimensions 149 x 228mm | 270g
Publication date 01 Oct 2020
Publisher HarperCollins Publishers
Imprint HarperCollins Publishers Ltd
Publication City/Country London, United Kingdom

Looks like it won't be a "black sheep" (examples of which I gave earlier), but we'll see once the finalized version (and all the small details) is unveiled...
15 May, 2020
2020-5-15 3:04:51 PM UTC
Just curious, are you (various members who read this and wish to comment) will you be getting the standard hardback, or the slipcased edition??

Of those two, I MAY lean towards the standard hardback.
15 May, 2020
2020-5-15 4:32:51 PM UTC
I've got the slipcased edition on pre-order (that same Amazon gift card as SGGK).

I am really looking forward to this edition, for the artwork. I am very happy that the new 40th anniversary edition was greenlit (it wasn't a given by any stretch) and that they are not just using Alan Lee again - the mix of three artists is a good idea, and I hope it shows a tendency to a wider use of artistic talent. I loved Jemima Catlin's Hobbit, for similar reasons.
15 May, 2020
2020-5-15 5:41:42 PM UTC
I am curious of a few things, mostly about the standard:

- will the cover art be "The Blue Wizards Journeying East?" Only reason why I suggest of why it could be, is that next year's calendar uses that as it's cover. For 95% of the time, whenever a calendar is 'themed' after a release, the cover images between calendar and book are the same. If yes, than I also suspect it'll be a frontispiece for the slipcased edition.
- will it have a fold-out map at the back, like The Great Tales?
- Will it printed on a mix of paper: standard for text and any pencil sketches, and photo style for the colour illustrations (again, as was the case with the Great Tales)

Looking forward to seeing it when it comes out.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us