Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 Jun, 2020
2020-6-21 3:32:27 PM UTC

I had no idea this had been announced that way, and last year to boot. The ink must have barely been dry on my book contract!

Well, I guess folks know a little more, then!

(I still can't say anything myself, though.)
21 Jun, 2020
2020-6-21 3:33:27 PM UTC
Looking forward to seeing what the table of contents will be, as well as other details: cover art, publication date, etc.
21 Jun, 2020
2020-6-21 4:10:53 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:
Looking forward to seeing what the table of contents will be, as well as other details: cover art, publication date, etc.

You may have a long wait for this.
21 Jun, 2020
2020-6-21 4:29:00 PM UTC

Ecthelion wrote:
Thanks for sharing, I just found out that this was announced for Frankfurt Book Fair 2019.
I upload here the catalogue I had the chance to find online (it's on page 65).

Great find, thank you! Hard to sit on this info for so long, when it had been out there all this time. ??
21 Jun, 2020
2020-6-21 4:30:40 PM UTC
I'm expecting that to be revealed about a week before the book is published
21 Jun, 2020 (edited)
2020-6-21 4:42:53 PM UTC
Here is the text from the Frankfurt announcement:

The first ever publication of J. R. R. Tolkien’s final writings on Middle-earth, covering a wide-range of subjects, and the perfect next read for those who have enjoyed Unfinished Tales and the History of Middle-earth series and are hungry for more.

The Nature of Middle-earth will comprise numerous late (c. 1959-73) and previously unpublished writings by J.R.R. Tolkien on the “nature” of Middle- earth, in both chief senses of that word: both metaphysical and natural/historical.

For Tolkien fans, readers, and scholars interested in learning more about Tolkien’s own views on Middle-earth. It will appeal in particular to those readers who enjoyed Unfinished Tales, and some of the later volumes of the History of Middle-earth. Indeed, many of the texts to be included are closely associated with materials published in those places, and were sent to Hostetter, specifically, in photocopy by Christopher Tolkien for potential publication.

Much as Unfinished Tales forms an unofficial thirteenth volume of the History of Middle-earth, this new book will sit very nicely alongside as an unofficial 14th volume. Of particular note, given the impending Amazon series, are several texts detailing the lands, flora, and fauna of Númenor, and the lives of Númenóreans.
21 Jun, 2020
2020-6-21 5:36:47 PM UTC
Hostetter vs. Amazon. Who will be out first?!
21 Jun, 2020
2020-6-21 7:06:13 PM UTC
I just want to say “Thank you!” to you, Carl, and to all the other Tolkien scholars who have endeavoured (and still are) to bring out quality Tolkien material.
21 Jun, 2020
2020-6-21 7:41:57 PM UTC
It is, and has been, a great privilege. But the best part about it was always that I got to correspond with Christopher. I think you know to whom this work is/will be dedicated.
21 Jun, 2020 (edited)
2020-6-21 7:49:43 PM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:
It is, and has been, a great privilege. But the best part about it was always that I got to correspond with Christopher. I think you know to whom this work is/will be dedicated.

It is marvelous that he was still so engaged in this world at his late age. Remarkable man.

I am so excited to read this new collection. If you have any influence over the look of the book Carl, please, please insist that it has a black spine paperback as well as any hardcover.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us