Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Book Depository pricing

8 Jul, 2020 (edited)
2020-7-8 9:35:34 AM UTC

Be careful when ordering as you may get a discount depending on the location you order from, and that can make a big difference in the final cost.

UK IP address £66.95 or roughly US$82
US IP address roughly £119 or US$148.65

https://www.bookdepository.com/Hobbit- ... R-R-Tolkien/9780008376109

Am wondering if say you were in the US, used a UK VPN to connect to the site and ordered the book for delivery to the US, would they give you 33% off?

Thank you Stu for trying this and confirming that it currently works

10_5f0592646ad5a.jpg 1041X608 px

10_5f0592d7d4d83.jpg 1078X578 px
8 Jul, 2020
2020-7-8 9:42:38 AM UTC
Book Depository has always price discriminated (making a mockery of the "free postage" claim. I used to use a UK proxy to get the UK price (but shipped to Australia), but they put a stop to that a few years back. I imagine a VPN would still work, though. I also keep meaning to get my in-laws to let me remote desktop into their machine and do it that way.
8 Jul, 2020
2020-7-8 10:03:51 AM UTC
Stu wrote:
Book Depository has always price discriminated (making a mockery of the "free postage" claim. I used to use a UK proxy to get the UK price (but shipped to Australia), but they put a stop to that a few years back. I imagine a VPN would still work, though. I also keep meaning to get my in-laws to let me remote desktop into their machine and do it that way.

I don't know if it still works on BD but similar to your tricks Stu I have sent books to friends abroad by invoicing to my UK account and sending to a foreign address much like sending a gift.
8 Jul, 2020
2020-7-8 10:31:07 AM UTC
onthetrail wrote:

I don't know if it still works on BD but similar to your tricks Stu I have sent books to friends abroad by invoicing to my UK account and sending to a foreign address much like sending a gift.

Yeah, I've considered just getting my in-laws to order for me and having them use my address for delivery. I imagine that still works. I already kind of bombard them with books that ordinarily they bring to me or my wife picks up, so I don't want to push my luck. They are already holding onto '42 and '46 Hobbits, Purple UTs and various other things that COVID has stranded.
8 Jul, 2020
2020-7-8 11:31:55 AM UTC
Stu wrote:
onthetrail wrote:

Yeah, I've considered just getting my in-laws to order for me and having them use my address for delivery. I imagine that still works. I already kind of bombard them with books that ordinarily they bring to me or my wife picks up, so I don't want to push my luck. They are already holding onto '42 and '46 Hobbits, Purple UTs and various other things that COVID has stranded.

Blimey Stu, you'll be setting up a library at their place soon :)

I get the worry of not wanting to push your luck. Its a decent avenue, especially for rarer books. Better to use it for such things rather than everyday items. COVID certainly has a lot to answer for!
8 Jul, 2020
2020-7-8 2:18:41 PM UTC
When it comes to buying books, I prefer to support Bezos as least as possible.
8 Jul, 2020
2020-7-8 3:04:30 PM UTC
insurrbution wrote:
When it comes to buying books, I prefer to support Bezos as least as possible.

Not sure on your comment? Do you think that Jeff Bezos is involved with the Book Depository and that we should not buy from it?
8 Jul, 2020
2020-7-8 3:09:33 PM UTC
Well, Jeff Bezos has A LOT OF money, and owns Amazon (who owns Book Depository).

I get that when buying something, always go for the best price. I just refer to support independent and/or local; which is why I'll often link (for HarperCollins' editions) Blackwell's, as well as provide the ISBN. If I can't find something on my national bookseller (which would be Indigo Chapters) or on Blackwell's, THEN I'll turn to Amazon as a last resort.
8 Jul, 2020
2020-7-8 3:19:38 PM UTC
OK, so no buying books any more from Amazon, Abebooks or Book Depository

I completely agree with this, but some collectors on the site, are looking for the cheapest copies and they may be from those sites!
8 Jul, 2020
2020-7-8 3:26:30 PM UTC
Trotter wrote:
I completely agree with this, but some collectors on the site, are looking for the cheapest copies and they may be from those sites!

THAT I understand - just stating that I prefer to go elsewhere, when, and i,f possible . No offence meant to anyone who uses Amazon or BookDepository, not by any means. At the end of the day, what truly matters is that people are still BUYING books
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us