Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

23 Jul, 2020
2020-7-23 4:31:18 AM UTC
Seems like the only word they know for a release that's nicer than a regular hardback.
23 Jul, 2020
2020-7-23 4:56:17 AM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

Seems like the only word they know for a release that's nicer than a regular hardback.

The problem is that other than being in a slipcase, I'd argue it isn't really any nicer than a regular hardback. And those stick on images on the front of covers are very Easton Press. I really don't like them, personally.

Now if this had a nice cloth slipcase and a classic cloth cover with some kind of foil design, I could get behind it. As is, just does nothing for me. If the material wasn't available any other way, I'd probably get it, but given the availability of a standard edition, seems pointless. Bear in mind the Catlin Hobbit deluxe and standard had identical page blocks, so the only difference was red cloth and the slipcase (It was a good solid and nicely designed slipcase, mind).
23 Jul, 2020
2020-7-23 12:09:11 PM UTC
Info from HarperCollin's Tolkien News email

Unfinished Tales’ 40th anniversary is fast approaching and we are delighted to reveal the sumptuous, slipcased edition of this wonderful collection.

Featuring 18 stunning paintings and five pencil drawings from critically acclaimed Tolkien artists, Alan Lee, John Howe & Ted Nasmith, it celebrates the three Ages of Middle-earth like never before.

This clothbound collector’s edition is printed in two colours on heavyweight acid-free paper, with a ribbon marker, and is housed in a custom-made, fully illustrated slipcase. It also includes not one but two removable foldout posters printed in full colour that are exclusive to this special edition. Limited to a worldwide first printing of just 4,000 copies, this will be an item to treasure and one which does full justice to J.R.R. Tolkien’s magical text so masterfully edited by his son, Christopher.
23 Jul, 2020
2020-7-23 12:23:41 PM UTC
Really nice to see they'are going to use the two colour inks again. I wonder if that would be the case on the standard edition as well.
By the way Trotter, thank you for the link you've posted some weeks ago, I could pre-order my deluxe + standard Alan Lee's signed copies :)
23 Jul, 2020
2020-7-23 2:18:48 PM UTC
Nothing says "limited edition" like a cardboard box haha. I guess the leather-bound and gilt-edged pages days are long gone.

For that price, and fact that it's limited edition, it better be triple-signed by the three illustrators.
23 Jul, 2020
2020-7-23 2:28:06 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

For that price, and fact that it's limited edition, it better be triple-signed by the three illustrators.

How would HarperCollins get a triple-signed edition at the moment from the illustrator's when everyone is in the middle of a virus pandemic, including their staff and the illustrators?
23 Jul, 2020
2020-7-23 2:32:52 PM UTC
I'm sure getting books to them to sign one at a time between now and publication date is feasible.
23 Jul, 2020
2020-7-23 2:34:04 PM UTC
Hmmm..... noticed something:

It also includes not one but two removable foldout posters printed in full colour that are exclusive to this special edition.

I wonder what those posters will be?
23 Jul, 2020 (edited)
2020-7-23 2:36:51 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

I'm sure getting books to them to sign one at a time between now and publication date is feasible.

Is it, they would have to send 4000 copies to Alan Lee in the UK, and get them back, then send the same 4000 copies to Ted Nasmith in Canada to sign and send back and then send the same 4000 copies to John Howe in Switzerland and get them back.
23 Jul, 2020
2020-7-23 2:41:24 PM UTC
I'm not saying it wouldn't be difficult haha Also, you never know - maybe they were able to sign the books (or at least the page indicating it's limited, with the numbering on it) BEFORE the virus shut down the world?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us