Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

24 Jul, 2020
2020-7-24 6:37:53 PM UTC
Have never heard the term "double-dipping" in respect to book collecting.
24 Jul, 2020
2020-7-24 6:40:17 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

These are both new terms to me and I really don't think it matters what you call yourself. If you like to complete sets then you are a completist. However one could argue that the true sense of the meaning would be if you wanted to complete the set of all of Tolkien's writings, or if you wanted every edition ever published in say Spanish. As far as double dipping...wouldn't every collector be a double dipper?

I think context driven and defined by the collector... as Khamul said, is a good way to put it. Even collecting a complete set of all Tolkien's writings, straightforward as it may sound, could be done in plenty of different ways. It just depends how far the collector wants to take it.
24 Jul, 2020
2020-7-24 6:55:09 PM UTC
The Oxford English Dictionary defines 'completist' as "an obsessive (and often indiscriminate) collector" which is what I said earlier in the thread.

That is a very definite meaning regardless what any individual thinks it means.
24 Jul, 2020
2020-7-24 6:58:20 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

Have never heard the term "double-dipping" in respect to book collecting.

Now I think about it you are correct. I never hear the term for book collecting, yet I even use the term to describe my own buying of movies. I just got the new 4K master of Spartacus and I commented that I was double dipping as I already have the bluray. I didn't use the term when buying the umpteenth copy of The Lord of the Rings.
24 Jul, 2020
2020-7-24 9:03:10 PM UTC
I have never heard the term "double-dipping" used with regards to book publishing or collecting.

If I had to stretch the term to fit, I might say "HarperCollins is double-dipping by releasing a deluxe edition followed by a standard edition", but that's a stretch.

IMHO, it just isn't a relevant term.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us