Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

20 Aug, 2020
2020-8-20 2:32:14 PM UTC

cameron wrote:

Does anyone know if they have done a second print of this yet? I haven't received mine yet and I'm wondering if I still have a chance of getting the first printing.

The only way you will know if is a forum member buys a second print and posts it, if you get a second print please let us know.
20 Aug, 2020
2020-8-20 5:15:31 PM UTC
I don't know how reliable it is but all I can offer is that Amazon UK has it in stock and because I did not remove it from the shopping list it never said temporarily out of stock even during the lockdown when some items were. Maybe they never ran out of stock of the first printing?
20 Aug, 2020
2020-8-20 5:18:15 PM UTC
Oh that's interesting. Maybe so. I saw that Amazon UK warehouse had a an opened copy in like new condition. I went ahead and ordered that since it was discounted. We'll see how it goes
20 Aug, 2020
2020-8-20 5:20:06 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

cameron wrote:

Does anyone know if they have done a second print of this yet? I haven't received mine yet and I'm wondering if I still have a chance of getting the first printing.

The only way you will know if is a forum member buys a second print and posts it, if you get a second print please let us know.

I would generally like to know which of the non-ME Tolkien works have or haven't gotten second printings. As Trotter says I suppose the only way to gather that is through trial and error. If anyone reading this has received a 2nd printing of any of the following, please let us know, along with where it was printed?

Fall of Arthur
Beowulf
Sir Gawain
Father Christmas
Sigurd and Gudrun

And I guess all Kullervos are Chinese?
20 Aug, 2020
2020-8-20 5:46:30 PM UTC
I'll keep my eye out for second printings of those.

Wouldn't it be great it HC decided to mess with us an did a later printing of Kullervo at L.E.G.O
20 Aug, 2020
2020-8-20 8:23:31 PM UTC
I honestly have no idea why the printer can be the same, regardless of which printing a book is.
27 Aug, 2020
2020-8-27 10:19:17 PM UTC
I haven't gotten Sir Gawain yet, it's a little further down the line of books I'm ordering in the next few months...but I should be ordering at around the first of the year. I just recently received the Beren & Luthien and Children of Hurin Deluxe editions. Next for me is Fall of Gondolin, Beowulf, Arthur,...all the way down to Green Knight (which is a lovely edition by the looks of it)

Do y'all have any idea what the next Deluxe will be in the series?
Aotrou and Itroun?
Mr. Bliss?
Letters?
Or perhaps the new "Nature of Middle-earth that's coming out next year?
27 Aug, 2020
2020-8-27 10:46:44 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Aotrou and Itroun?
Mr. Bliss?
Letters?

Honestly, I believe that The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun is too small/thin to even become a slipcased edition.

I can see Letters if there's a new edition, not just appearing in the slipcased format.

It's possible that Nature may get one. I wouldn't be surprised either way, but it's too early to know just yet.

It really depends on what they think the 'major book' of 2021 (in the advertising/marketing sense. You know, what the calendar for the following year would be based on, etc) would be.

I also have a feeling that starting with The Book of Lost Tales: Part 1's 40th anniversary in 2023, that each of the 12 (with possibly the index, to complement the rest) History of Middle-earth books will receive its own slipcased edition, with the possibility of The History of the Hobbit. So if one were to get The History of Middle-earth in the slipcased format, you could choose the one where all 12 are in 3 volumes in one box, or for the individual ones. I would not be surprised if that were to happen. Hey, the frontispieces for the individual ones could be the corresponding John Howe cover from the paperback edition! (Was kind of expecting it to show like that with Sir Gawain.)
28 Aug, 2020
2020-8-28 12:34:17 AM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

I haven't gotten Sir Gawain yet, it's a little further down the line of books I'm ordering in the next few months...but I should be ordering at around the first of the year. I just recently received the Beren & Luthien and Children of Hurin Deluxe editions. Next for me is Fall of Gondolin, Beowulf, Arthur,...all the way down to Green Knight (which is a lovely edition by the looks of it)

Aotrou and Itroun?
Mr. Bliss?
Letters?

I don't believe anyone has any public information at this stage. HarperCollins have not announced anything. Anything else is just pure guesswork -- and probably not terribly useful. I imagine if/when something does get announced there will be a thread up here, though.
28 Aug, 2020
2020-8-28 2:02:28 AM UTC
Yeah, Stu put it better than I did with his post. I'm going to start a new 'regular' thread: they will be called "Upcoming Books in ___". I'll do them each holiday, looking ahead to what's coming out the following year (with titles that are listed), and keep it going by way of adding titles as we know about them. Of course, a major publication will probably its own dedicated post.

I think having a "coming next year..." thread at the end of each year will come in handy.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us