Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

13 Aug, 2020
2020-8-13 2:36:32 PM UTC

Berelach wrote:

Caudimordax wrote:

Well, I'm definite all in on my next paycheck. In the meantime, does anyone have physical copies of these yet? I'd love to see what they look like "in person".

Sorry for the crap picture. I hadn't really been paying close attention, but haven't these been available as POD for a while, just on the website? That's great that they will now be able to reach more people though!

Simple, but tasty. Thanks for sharing!
13 Aug, 2020
2020-8-13 2:50:34 PM UTC
Yes, they were available for years through the print-on-demand service of Lulu.com. In May of this year, though, Lulu did a big "update" on their site that broke many, many people's links and made it impossible to add their books back to the store. Despite repeated requests I got no response from their supposed support team, and so gave up and moved to Amazon. It was the only service I could find that would print and mail books in other countries besides the US, which of course makes the books _much_ more affordable to people in those countries and their neighbors.
13 Aug, 2020 (edited)
2020-8-13 3:09:22 PM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

Yes, they were available for years through the print-on-demand service of Lulu.com. In May of this year, though, Lulu did a big "update" on their site that broke many, many people's links and made it impossible to add their books back to the store. Despite repeated requests I got no response from their supposed support team, and so gave up and moved to Amazon. It was the only service I could find that would print and mail books in other countries besides the US, which of course makes the books _much_ more affordable to people in those countries and their neighbors.

I saw many questions about these volumes over on Reddit and tried to direct them to lulu so this move from yourself is imo a good one. I hope it works out and brings more sales for your journal.
2 Sep, 2020
2020-9-2 1:37:53 AM UTC
I got my complete set (vols. 1–5) of The Collected Vinyar Tengwar from Amazon print-on-demand the other day, and I'm happy to report that I'm pleased with the printing quality, which is very good indeed (allowing for the fact, as stipulated, that vol. 1 is necessarily reproduced from scans of photocopies). So if anyone has had any reservations about them on that account, I can confidently reassure them. (That being said, if anyone does get a bum printing of any volume or part thereof, please let both Amazon and myself know.)
2 Sep, 2020
2020-9-2 7:21:30 PM UTC
Thanks for the update Carl!

Will the special series be available via Amazon print on demand service?
2 Sep, 2020
2020-9-2 7:44:19 PM UTC
Mine are fantastic, thanks!
3 Sep, 2020
2020-9-3 2:09:16 AM UTC
Alas, no, the limits for such small volumes on Amazon's print-on-demand service are prohibitive.

However, let's just say that the contents of some of the Special Series will be available in another form/volume eventually....
3 Sep, 2020
2020-9-3 11:22:44 AM UTC
Thanks! That's greet news!
3 Sep, 2020
2020-9-3 11:30:23 AM UTC
My Moma-in-Law has insisted she buy these new PoD volumes for me as a gift for Christmas as I am normally impossible to buy for so I will have to wait.

I must admit my ignorance to linguistic matters and ask what the 'Special Series' is?
3 Sep, 2020
2020-9-3 1:32:59 PM UTC
The "Special Series" formerly collected a small subset of thematically-related issues from the "Collected Vinyar Tengwar". These were:

The Collected Vinyar Tengwar SS 4 — Philological Essays
Collects issues 39, 41-42

The Collected Vinyar Tengwar SS 3 — Eldarin Hands, Fingers & Numerals
Collects issues 47-49

The Collected Vinyar Tengwar SS 2 — Addenda and Corrigenda to the Etymologies
Collects issues 45-46

The Collected Vinyar Tengwar SS 1 — “Words of Joy”
Collects issues 43-44
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us