Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

2 Sep, 2020 (edited)
2020-9-2 8:31:08 PM UTC
The biggest thing off about those two AL ones is the pictures that show the signatures are both taken from a distance where the detail can't be seen, in contrast to all the other pictures. Huge red flag that the seller isn't 100% confident in them, IMHO.
3 Sep, 2020
2020-9-3 11:30:23 PM UTC
Good evening everyone and thank you for your opinions and help.
But I have sincerely been thinking that I am not going to return the book, even if I lose the money, as I would be returning it to the market, so that a book with a faked signature can be put up for sale again and honestly, as a Tolkien fan, I think that I can't allow it
I am going to get in touch with the bookstore and with abebooks, to request a refund or I will have to take all the measures in my power, both criminal and publicity, of the bookstore's unethical ethics.
4 Sep, 2020
2020-9-4 4:14:34 AM UTC

rrodriguezgarcia wrote:

Good evening everyone and thank you for your opinions and help.
But I have sincerely been thinking that I am not going to return the book, even if I lose the money, as I would be returning it to the market, so that a book with a faked signature can be put up for sale again and honestly, as a Tolkien fan, I think that I can't allow it
I am going to get in touch with the bookstore and with abebooks, to request a refund or I will have to take all the measures in my power, both criminal and publicity, of the bookstore's unethical ethics.

To be honest, even if you don't return it, that kind of seller will likely just fake up another one anyway. I genuinely believe that the majority of these types of sellers are pretty much fake-factories. I respect you taking a stand, but I'm not sure it will do anything except prevent you getting your refund. That said, I'd spread the word about the specific book and seller as far and wide as possible, whilst only stating facts and letting other people make their own conclusions (don't get yourself into any legal issues).
9 Sep, 2020
2020-9-9 8:56:26 PM UTC
In the end, I did not return the book as I told you and I filed a scam complaint. File a claim with Visa, providing the complaint, the emails and sending the images of the false signatures and to contrast true signatures of Christopher Tolkien and Alan Lee. And finally, Visa has agreed with me and has reimbursed me the money. Thanks for everything
9 Sep, 2020
2020-9-9 9:37:58 PM UTC

Glorfindel wrote:

In the end, I did not return the book as I told you and I filed a scam complaint. File a claim with Visa, providing the complaint, the emails and sending the images of the false signatures and to contrast true signatures of Christopher Tolkien and Alan Lee. And finally, Visa has agreed with me and has reimbursed me the money. Thanks for everything

Awesome. Glad you were able to sort it via Visa. That's a good way of doing it and may help others in a similar situation, plus it does actually hurt the scammer.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us