Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Matching HC Great Tales

14 Sep, 2020
2020-9-14 12:50:05 PM UTC

Hi folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've collected Tolkien in paperback for many years but with the new illustrated HarperCollins editions trickling out, I'm hoping to upgrade my main Middle-Earth books to hardcover.

I've seen a few different variant dust jackets for Children of Hurin since its publication. I'd like to acquire the 3 Great Tales books with matching matte finish dust jackets and white JRRT and HC spine logos (unlike the original HoC's glossy finish and gold spine logos). Including a photo of the matching editions.

Does anyone know if these are the default hardcover editions at this point if I were to just purchase new from Amazon UK? Or if there is another way to identify the newer editions when purchasing online?

Thanks for any help from the community!

5083_5f5f6686494ea.jpg 1000X1000 px
14 Sep, 2020
2020-9-14 2:01:40 PM UTC
My understanding is that only the first printing of Children of Hurin had the gold logo on it, and that the first prints of B&L and FoG had the white logos. If you bought the latest prints you should be safe as far as I can tell. It might be nice to buy from somewhere with a good return policy if you want to play it safe.
14 Sep, 2020
2020-9-14 2:20:56 PM UTC
All new printings of The Children of Hurin more closely resemble the other two tales. Except, the books themselves are different: CoH is blue, and a bit thicker, compared to the other two being black and a bit thinner.
14 Sep, 2020
2020-9-14 5:35:46 PM UTC

cameron wrote:

My understanding is that only the first printing of Children of Hurin had the gold logo on it

There were at least five printings before the gold logo was changed to white.
14 Sep, 2020
2020-9-14 8:36:20 PM UTC

Berelach wrote:

cameron wrote:

My understanding is that only the first printing of Children of Hurin had the gold logo on it

Thanks great to know, thanks!
30 Sep, 2020
2020-9-30 6:57:13 PM UTC

Berelach wrote:

cameron wrote:

The later printing of CoH, do they have the matte finish similar to the B&L and FoG editions?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us