Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

17 Sep, 2020
2020-9-17 2:21:11 PM UTC
It's also possible that some people (most likely no one here) after the 12 separate books as hardbacks from The History of Middle-earth may not care if it's POD not. They may get them because they're hardbacks of UK editions, and not care about the finer details beyond that.
17 Sep, 2020
2020-9-17 2:53:05 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

It's also possible that some people (most likely no one here) after the 12 separate books as hardbacks from The History of Middle-earth may not care if it's POD not. They may get them because they're hardbacks of UK editions, and not care about the finer details beyond that.

I am collecting the PODs as I see them cheap. Namely because I have taken up all the free space with notes in the 3 volume edition and decided to get these as I see them. The most I paid so far was Morgoth's Ring at £16 delivered and it was essentially new minus an almost invisible scratch on the rear cover. And as they are removed anyway it really doesn't matter.

At some point I will transfer all the notes into the eBook editions.
17 Sep, 2020
2020-9-17 3:21:43 PM UTC
insurrbution - I would imagine that's generally the case. Still, when I saw this listing I almost jumped out of my seat given the price, then I looked closer. Still, it would be a shame if someone started taking advantage of people's ignorance and market perception to scalp readily available PoDs as the genuine article. (Obviously, this would mostly effect Morgoth's Ring, War of the Jewels, and Peoples of Middle Earth.)
17 Sep, 2020
2020-9-17 11:00:46 PM UTC
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: leearmour
(277)
Ended Sep 16, 2020
This item ended more than 90 days ago
18 Sep, 2020
2020-9-18 10:20:09 AM UTC

Caudimordax wrote:

insurrbution - I would imagine that's generally the case. Still, when I saw this listing I almost jumped out of my seat given the price, then I looked closer. Still, it would be a shame if someone started taking advantage of people's ignorance and market perception to scalp readily available PoDs as the genuine article. (Obviously, this would mostly effect Morgoth's Ring, War of the Jewels, and Peoples of Middle Earth.)

I think it also worth noting that these POD volumes are not marked as Print on Demand items on the copyright page or anywhere in the books. They all state they are '2010 1' and are printed at Martins-the-Printers Ltd, Berwick-upon-Tweed. A reseller who has ended up with some of these in a batch of books will not have any idea that these are POD.
18 Sep, 2020
2020-9-18 11:01:21 AM UTC
So definitely nothing to the rear (last printed page) stating the printer? POD manufacturers like Lightning Source (Milton Keynes) print there own barcode at the back regardless of what the publisher states on the copyright page. Nothing like this?
18 Sep, 2020
2020-9-18 11:20:03 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

So definitely nothing to the rear (last printed page) stating the printer? POD manufacturers like Lightning Source (Milton Keynes) print there own barcode at the back regardless of what the publisher states on the copyright page. Nothing like this?

Nothing at all stating POD. We know because, well, we know, but anyone else coming to these with little to no knowledge of the publishing history will have no way at all to know these are POD.
18 Sep, 2020
2020-9-18 11:26:22 AM UTC
Not saying it says "POD"; just saying they print stuff at the back. Definitely nothing beyond what the copyright page states with these HC PODs?
18 Sep, 2020
2020-9-18 11:39:51 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

Not saying it says "POD"; just saying they print stuff at the back. Definitely nothing beyond what the copyright page states with these HC PODs?

As stated previously, there is no way to tell these are POD, nothing written indicating POD, Print on Demand or anything else that might indicate they are POD. Maybe others can jump in if they have any volumes printed in other locations but the volumes I have do not indicate in any way that they are POD.
18 Sep, 2020
2020-9-18 1:57:02 PM UTC
Sorry for being a pedant here. I'm not asking if it says POD or implies POD or if you can tell its POD.

Does it state anything at the end about who printed it &/or is there a barcode? This is usual for some POD printers, just curious about its absence here.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us