Tolkien Collector's Guide
1...1415161718...37
Sep 10
2020/9/10 18:03:11 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Indeed. I've gotten some of my HoME volumes shipped from the UK for "a great price", only to have them arrive in shambles. Often, they're shipped in nothing more than a thin plastic bag. The horror!

Appreciate the input. At the very least, it's likely I'll have time to scope the book out as you first-in-liners post your reports here.
Sep 10 (edited)
2020/9/10 19:43:00 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

insurrbution wrote:

Yeah: it might be limited to just one printing, period, of 4000 copies. I believe that it'll be a limited edition, though they didn't phrase it properly.

I believe they have phrased it *exactly* as they intended to. The information from HarperCollins very clearly states that the *first print* is 4,000 copies. This is not the first time that the first print of a deluxe edition has been "limited" and then there have been subsequent prints. They have very specifically left it open to print more copies if there is demand.

I'll be glad when these books are out, just so we can stop playing guessing games about them, to be honest. Honestly, I feel like I'm bored of this release and it hasn't even come out yet. Can we all have a pact to not post anything more on this specific topic until we actually have new information (copies in hand, photos, good prices from retailers, etc).
Sep 10
2020/9/10 20:03:48 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:

Can we all have a pact to not post anything more on this specific topic until we actually have new information (copies in hand, photos, good prices from retailers, etc).

Seconded.
Sep 10
2020/9/10 20:35:02 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:

insurrbution wrote:

Yeah: it might be limited to just one printing, period, of 4000 copies. I believe that it'll be a limited edition, though they didn't phrase it properly.

I believe they have phrased it *exactly* as they intended to. The information from HarperCollins very clearly states that the *first print* is 4,000 copies. This is not the first time that the first print of a deluxe edition has been "limited" and then there have been subsequent prints. They have very specifically left it open to print more copies if there is demand.

I'll be glad when these books are out, just so we can stop playing guessing games about them, to be honest. Honestly, I feel like I'm bored of this release and it hasn't even come out yet. Can we all have a pact to not post anything more on this specific topic until we actually have new information (copies in hand, photos, good prices from retailers, etc).

Thirded. I feel like breaking into a rendition of Hallelujah that someone has said it.
Sep 10
2020/9/10 22:31:57 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

onthetrail wrote:


Thirded. I feel like breaking into a rendition of Hallelujah that someone has said it.

Oh yes please!
Sep 19
2020/9/19 14:12:26 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
With the release of this approaching fast, has anyone spotted another place to grab a signed copy? Goldsboro had some for a brief turn only.
Sep 19
2020/9/19 14:56:32 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I haven't seen any yet, but keep an eye on Waterstones: they were offering signed copies in the past few years of Beren and Luthien, The Fall of Gondolin, and The Hobbit Sketchbook (as in the standard edition) when they were initially published. I don't remember if some of the slipcased editions were 'pre-signed', though....
Sep 19
2020/9/19 14:57:14 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
(that's not counting the limited-edition boxed set of the sketchbooks, that is)
Sep 23
2020/9/23 6:20:59 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Goldsboro books has restocked some reagular hardback/deluxe slipcased signed copies available for pre-order for those interested.
Sep 23
2020/9/23 11:03:36 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
These signed copies are signed by who? Surely not all three artists?
1...1415161718...37
Jump to Last