Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

10 Sep, 2020
2020-9-10 6:03:11 PM UTC
Indeed. I've gotten some of my HoME volumes shipped from the UK for "a great price", only to have them arrive in shambles. Often, they're shipped in nothing more than a thin plastic bag. The horror!

Appreciate the input. At the very least, it's likely I'll have time to scope the book out as you first-in-liners post your reports here.
10 Sep, 2020 (edited)
2020-9-10 7:43:00 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

Yeah: it might be limited to just one printing, period, of 4000 copies. I believe that it'll be a limited edition, though they didn't phrase it properly.

I believe they have phrased it *exactly* as they intended to. The information from HarperCollins very clearly states that the *first print* is 4,000 copies. This is not the first time that the first print of a deluxe edition has been "limited" and then there have been subsequent prints. They have very specifically left it open to print more copies if there is demand.

I'll be glad when these books are out, just so we can stop playing guessing games about them, to be honest. Honestly, I feel like I'm bored of this release and it hasn't even come out yet. Can we all have a pact to not post anything more on this specific topic until we actually have new information (copies in hand, photos, good prices from retailers, etc).
10 Sep, 2020
2020-9-10 8:03:48 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Can we all have a pact to not post anything more on this specific topic until we actually have new information (copies in hand, photos, good prices from retailers, etc).

Seconded.
10 Sep, 2020
2020-9-10 8:35:02 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

insurrbution wrote:

Yeah: it might be limited to just one printing, period, of 4000 copies. I believe that it'll be a limited edition, though they didn't phrase it properly.

I believe they have phrased it *exactly* as they intended to. The information from HarperCollins very clearly states that the *first print* is 4,000 copies. This is not the first time that the first print of a deluxe edition has been "limited" and then there have been subsequent prints. They have very specifically left it open to print more copies if there is demand.

I'll be glad when these books are out, just so we can stop playing guessing games about them, to be honest. Honestly, I feel like I'm bored of this release and it hasn't even come out yet. Can we all have a pact to not post anything more on this specific topic until we actually have new information (copies in hand, photos, good prices from retailers, etc).

Thirded. I feel like breaking into a rendition of Hallelujah that someone has said it.
10 Sep, 2020
2020-9-10 10:31:57 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Thirded. I feel like breaking into a rendition of Hallelujah that someone has said it.

Oh yes please!
19 Sep, 2020
2020-9-19 2:12:26 PM UTC
With the release of this approaching fast, has anyone spotted another place to grab a signed copy? Goldsboro had some for a brief turn only.
19 Sep, 2020
2020-9-19 2:56:32 PM UTC
I haven't seen any yet, but keep an eye on Waterstones: they were offering signed copies in the past few years of Beren and Luthien, The Fall of Gondolin, and The Hobbit Sketchbook (as in the standard edition) when they were initially published. I don't remember if some of the slipcased editions were 'pre-signed', though....
19 Sep, 2020
2020-9-19 2:57:14 PM UTC
(that's not counting the limited-edition boxed set of the sketchbooks, that is)
23 Sep, 2020
2020-9-23 6:20:59 AM UTC
Goldsboro books has restocked some reagular hardback/deluxe slipcased signed copies available for pre-order for those interested.
23 Sep, 2020
2020-9-23 11:03:36 AM UTC
These signed copies are signed by who? Surely not all three artists?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us