Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

7 Oct, 2020
2020-10-7 3:53:27 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

I think type-setting now refers to the text that the printer receives, whether it's a file on a computer or another method of delivery

You are correct, and that is the point I was trying to make for this edition. When we discuss older Tolkien books here, though, back when the printer actually did have to set type, they very often made mistakes or intentionally "corrected" Tolkien's spelling "mistakes".
7 Oct, 2020
2020-10-7 4:12:46 PM UTC
I may be asking a stupid question but... Is there any difference with the old Deluxe Edition, the brown one, apart from the illustrations?
7 Oct, 2020
2020-10-7 4:19:43 PM UTC

mboswi wrote:

I may be asking a stupid question but... Is there any difference with the old Deluxe Edition, the brown one, apart from the illustrations?

I have not heard that there are textual corrections, but I would not be surprised if they slipped a few in. The primary differences that I do know are
  • the added illustrations for this new edition
  • the index is completely repaginated with the illustrations being added

The copyright page for the standard edition still has the copyright as 1980 (visible here), so if there are any textual changes they are extremely minor.
7 Oct, 2020
2020-10-7 4:31:17 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

insurrbution wrote:

Either way, the typesetting isn't the culprit, it came about with the book being printed and produced.

I think the original complaint around "printing errors" is just fine as terminology.

• There is a problem with that copy, thus "error" (or "defect" as you say).
  • The problem occurs at the printer.

So "printing error" tells you something went wrong, and who made the mistake.

It would not be the printer's problem if the typesetting files they got from the publisher were incorrect, for example. Though typesetting is misleading here, as there is no "type" being "set" - digital files going straight to the press, no hand-set type for many a long year.

By the way, I was told by HarperCollins that HoME is printed digitally Printed-on-demand only. The 3-volume editions are all printed from negatives and this is why some kind of print issues happen. So HoME is mostly not related to digital printing.
7 Oct, 2020
2020-10-7 8:03:23 PM UTC
Well, I am talking about de Deluxed Edition, not the original one, but I guess it is the same case.
7 Oct, 2020
2020-10-7 8:23:01 PM UTC
I have not heard that there are textual corrections, but I would not be surprised if they slipped a few in.

The page that comes with the Deluxe edition indicates that the text was reset and that it is now the "definitive version", so it supposes at least corrections, isn't it ?
7 Oct, 2020
2020-10-7 8:27:06 PM UTC
As far as I'm aware the text never needed correcting and has been the same since 1980. I haven't heard otherwise.
7 Oct, 2020
2020-10-7 8:33:36 PM UTC
Hammond's Bibliography lists numerous errors and corrections between various editions of the book. I have no reason to suppose they didn't also correct any extant errors in this typesetting, and possibly added new ones.
8 Oct, 2020
2020-10-8 2:22:13 PM UTC
Mine arrived from Booksetc today. Ordered 29 Sept, Dispatched 5 Oct, Arrived 8 October. The packaging is ok, it came in a large wrap-around outer box which may not have been enough on its own, but happily it also had its own cardboard box included as well. Overall I'm satisfied!
8 Oct, 2020
2020-10-8 3:30:30 PM UTC
Ah you went for the collector's edition, nice.

Do you think you'll frame the print and/or the maps? (if yes to the maps, which side would have visible?)
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us