Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

29 Oct, 2020
2020-10-29 2:42:18 PM UTC
Wow Emilien these are wonderful to see!

That Tom Shippey proof is cool, and you've got to love the super-deluxes!
29 Oct, 2020
2020-10-29 6:00:40 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Yes I'm really very pleased with the super deluxes ! They are really magnificent books, a pure gem! I actually like the differences of texture in the leather between the two, the smooth touch of Sigurd and Gudrun, versus a more textured leather for Children of Hurin. My preference comes to Hurin a bit. I know have 3 books signed by Christopher (I got a flat signed Silmarillion months ago), my People of Middle Earth and Catalog of the BNF exhibition "Voyage en Terre du Milieu" both signed by Adam Tolkien, and the Ashmolean exhibition "Drawings by Tolkien" signed by Priscilla. I am a happy man. Will definitely look forward to other limited editions now, as the 1998's Silmarillion or the 1982's Red Silm.
29 Oct, 2020
2020-10-29 6:09:48 PM UTC

Emilien wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Yes I'm really very pleased with the super deluxes ! They are really magnificent books, a pure gem! I actually like the differences of texture in the leather between the two, the smooth touch of Sigurd and Gudrun, versus a more textured leather for Children of Hurin. My preference comes to Hurin a bit. I know have 3 books signed by Christopher (I got a flat signed Silmarillion months ago), my People of Middle Earth and Catalog of the BNF exhibition "Voyage en Terre du Milieu" both signed by Adam Tolkien, and the Ashmolean exhibition "Drawings by Tolkien" signed by Priscilla. I am a happy man. Will definitely look forward to other limited editions now, as the 1998's Silmarillion or the 1982's Red Silm.

You are a Tolkien collecting monster! Great job. I'm curious to know a bit more about those three little map books. Are you at liberty to post or otherwise pm some of the contents? At the very least, what can you tell us about the contents?
29 Oct, 2020
2020-10-29 6:17:39 PM UTC

Caudimordax wrote:

Emilien wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

You are a Tolkien collecting monster! Great job. I'm curious to know a bit more about those three little map books. Are you at liberty to post or otherwise pm some of the contents? At the very least, what can you tell us about the contents?

I will post pics in this thread over the week end :)
Basically they are some little "deluxe" editions with tissue cloth of the paperbacks previously released. They have 60-70 of text with some pencils illustrations plus the folded maps drawn by John Howe. They were published in 2010 and I believe not that common today.

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/908-West-of-the-moutains.php
30 Oct, 2020
2020-10-30 2:09:21 PM UTC
Emilien - Umm... dude... this classifies as loot! ???
31 Oct, 2020
2020-10-31 5:20:43 PM UTC
Here are some of the items I've most recently acquired, aside from the new Unfinished Tales, deluxe and standard (which I don't think we need another picture of)

The new HOME: set from HoughtonMifflin
Deluxe Kullervo: 1st Printing
Deluxe Sigurd: 4th Printing
The Hobbit: Allen & Unwin 4th Edition, 1st Printing (1978)
The Hobbit: HoughtonMifflin 21st Printing (1966)
LOTR Readers Companion: HoughtonMifflin 1st Printing (2005)
A Middle English Reader and Vocabulary: by Sisam and Tolkien
The Keys of Middle-earth: by Lee and Solopova
Farmer Giles of Ham: Allen & Unwin 4th Printing (1965)
The Hobbit: Audiobook on CD read by Andy Serkis

5058_5f9d991588502.jpg 1926X1307 px

5058_5f9d991588a2b.jpg 1478X1460 px

5058_5f9d991588dc7.jpg 1902X1109 px

5058_5f9d9915891d7.jpg 1937X865 px
31 Oct, 2020
2020-10-31 5:37:40 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Here are some of the items I've most recently acquired, aside from the new Unfinished Tales, deluxe and standard (which I don't think we need another picture of)

Nice!
3 Nov, 2020
2020-11-3 1:51:02 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

This is a nice bunch of Tolkien Books, congrats !
I have one question : are you sure your Sigurd and Gudrun Deluxe edition is a 4th printing? I use to see that reprints are of much lighter brown. Yours seems more darker and close to my first printing.
3 Nov, 2020
2020-11-3 5:36:32 PM UTC

Emilien wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

This is a nice bunch of Tolkien Books, congrats !
I have one question : are you sure your Sigurd and Gudrun Deluxe edition is a 4th printing? I use to see that reprints are of much lighter brown. Yours seems more darker and close to my first printing.

It is a 4th...I bought it from Blackwell's a few weeks ago. Only 4 print runs in 11 years.
I wonder how big each one of the print runs are for these deluxe editions?

5058_5fa195184bd0f.jpg 3024X3578 px
3 Nov, 2020
2020-11-3 6:09:43 PM UTC
They’re all a never ending limited time edition!!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us