Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

19 Nov, 2020
2020-11-19 5:46:40 PM UTC
I highly doubt HarperCollins would miss the opportunity to make a deluxe ed. of this.
19 Nov, 2020
2020-11-19 6:01:26 PM UTC
Here is the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt press release from today for the US publication of this title:

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books & Media will publish The Nature of Middle-earth, a previously unseen collection of writings by J.R.R. Tolkien, in the U.S. on June 24, 2021. Presented for the first time in one volume and edited by Carl F. Hostetter, the writings will transport readers back to the world of The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and The Lord of the Rings.

Nature-of-Middle-earth.jpg

Deb Brody, HMH’s VP and Publisher, says: “It is well known that J.R.R. Tolkien published The Hobbit in 1937 and The Lord of the Rings in 1954–5. What may be less known is that he continued to write about Middle-earth in the decades that followed, right up until the years before his death in 1973.

“For him, Middle-earth was part of an entire world to be explored, and the writings in The Nature of Middle-earth reveal the journeys that he took as he sought to better understand his unique creation. From sweeping themes as profound as Elvish immortality and reincarnation, and the Powers of the Valar, to the more earth-bound subjects of the lands and beasts of Númenor, the geography of the Rivers and Beacon-hills of Gondor, and even who had beards!

"This new collection is a veritable treasure-trove offering readers a chance to peer over Professor Tolkien’s shoulder at the very moment of discovery: and on every page, Middle-earth is once again brought to extraordinary life."

The Hobbit was first published in 1937 and The Lord of the Rings in 1954–5. Each has since gone on to become a beloved classic of literature, and an international bestseller in more than 70 languages, collectively selling more than 150,000,000 copies worldwide.

The Nature of Middle-earth will be published subsequently in several languages by numerous Tolkien publishers worldwide.

Carl F. Hostetter has for many years been one of the world’s leading Tolkien experts and respected head of the Elvish Linguistic Fellowship. He has worked as a Computer Engineer for NASA since 1985.

About Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books & Media
For nearly two centuries, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt has published some of the world's most renowned novels, nonfiction, children's books, and reference works. As part of a leading global learning company, it is uniquely positioned to offer educational and entertaining content for all audiences. Its distinguished author list includes eleven Nobel Prize winners, forty-eight Pulitzer Prize winners, fifteen National Book Award winners, and more than one hundred Caldecott, Newbery, Printz, and Sibert Medal and Honor recipients. Current and recent authors include Tim O'Brien, Natasha Trethewey, Paul Theroux, Alison Bechdel, Adam Hochschild, Tim Ferriss and a celebrated roster of children's authors and illustrators including Kwame Alexander, Lois Lowry, and Chris Van Allsburg. HMH is also home to The Best American series® The Whole30®, Weber Grill, How to Cook Everything®, and other leading lifestyle properties; books by J.R.R. Tolkien; and many iconic children's books and characters, including Curious George®, The Little Prince, and The Polar Express. HMH Productions develops and produces media and licensed products related to brands such as Carmen Sandiego and Oregon Trail. HMH Audio, publishes audio books of HMH front list and backlist titles.
19 Nov, 2020
2020-11-19 6:40:12 PM UTC

Berelach wrote:

I highly doubt HarperCollins would miss the opportunity to make a deluxe ed. of this.

Then where's the collector's edition of The History of The Hobbit? That work is similar (and as niche) as this one and there's none yet.
19 Nov, 2020
2020-11-19 6:56:27 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

Berelach wrote:

Then where's the collector's edition of The History of The Hobbit? That work is similar (and as niche) as this one and there's none yet.

It is has been alluded to that Nature might be more akin to The History of Middle-earth, which does have a deluxe edition. But we are purely speculating again, at this point. It will, or will not, have a deluxe edition, time will tell.
19 Nov, 2020
2020-11-19 7:15:46 PM UTC
Of course. I was conveying the similarities between The Nature of Middle-earth and The History of the Hobbit:

- neither was actually edited by Christopher Tolkien, though both received his approval
- they are of a scholastic/analytical nature examing the writing procress.
19 Nov, 2020
2020-11-19 7:56:40 PM UTC
insurrbution - Can we please reign in the speculation (yet again). I for one don't want this thread to turn into another one like the Unfinished Tales thread, where 90% of the posts add no value.
19 Nov, 2020
2020-11-19 7:57:44 PM UTC
Great cover art. Based on the contents blurb, I'm really looking forward to this one.
19 Nov, 2020
2020-11-19 8:24:51 PM UTC
I've updated the root post on this thread with the latest information we know (Guardian announcement link, Houghton Mifflin press release, tentative ISBN).
19 Nov, 2020
2020-11-19 8:54:25 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

insurrbution - Can we please reign in the speculation (yet again). I for one don't want this thread to turn into another one like the Unfinished Tales thread, where 90% of the posts add no value.

I wasn't. I was stating how it's similar to another title.
19 Nov, 2020
2020-11-19 8:59:06 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

Stu wrote:

I wasn't. I was stating how it's similar to another title.

Speculations:

insurrbution wrote:

Emilien wrote:

Really nice cover art !
The content also looks wonderfull, and I can't wait to read it.

I hope we would have a deluxe edition.
Hm, not sure there would be. After all, there isn't a collector's edition of The History of The Hobbit. You never know, though.

insurrbution wrote:

Berelach wrote:

insurrbution wrote:

I was conveying the similarities between The Nature of Middle-earth and The History of the Hobbit:

- neither was actually edited by Christopher Tolkien, though both received his approval
- they are of a scholastic/analytical nature examing the writing procress.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us