Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Doubts about originality signed Tolkien

2 Jan, 2021
2021-1-2 1:56:04 PM UTC

First of all, happy new year everyone. Hopefully the new year brings us health and hope.

I've been looking at a copy of a first edition of the Smith of Wootton Major, signed by the grandmaster. And the seller can not give explanations about its origin and although it does not seem a bad signature, I would like your opinion.

Thank you very much in advance.

5068_5ff07b45d5af0.jpg 1080X1407 px
2 Jan, 2021
2021-1-2 2:06:18 PM UTC
Not convinced that this is a Tolkien signature, and would never buy based on the text from the seller, they do not appear to believe in it themselves.

Smith Of Wootton Major - J R R Tolkien 1st UK Ed 1st Print Hardback 1967 Signed. Dispatched with Royal Mail 1st Class.
if you have to research please do your own before buying
I only have the book ,it does not come with provenance or what so ever
I genuinely sell a book which I bought a decade ago ,that is all I know , not an expert
please make your mind first before buying so you do not have to send back or change your mind or coming up with a stand excuse

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: bookabrak11
(1525)
Ended Jan 8, 2021
This item ended more than 90 days ago
2 Jan, 2021
2021-1-2 2:24:06 PM UTC
There are plenty of reasons to doubt its authenticity. First there's the generally shabby appearance. Then notice the details. E.g.: The "J" looks like it was made either with two strokes (it should be one) and a superfluous dot, or one stroke with two superfluous dots. The "en" is a mess. Look at that little gap in the swoosh beneath the "T": how does one get that in a single pen-stroke? It looks more like it was printed on the page, with a gap in the press at that point.

I wouldn't touch it.
2 Jan, 2021
2021-1-2 2:37:23 PM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

There are plenty of reasons to doubt its authenticity. First there's the generally shabby appearance. Then notice the details. E.g.: The "J" looks like it was made either with two strokes (it should be one) and a superfluous dot, or one stroke with two superfluous dots. The "en" is a mess. Look at that little gap in the swoosh beneath the "T": how does one get that in a single pen-stroke? It looks more like it was printed on the page, with a gap in the press at that point.

I wouldn't touch it.

Agreed with your analysis, in addition to the signature centered on the presentation page ... make all these characteristics ... a copy to be avoided
2 Jan, 2021
2021-1-2 3:29:02 PM UTC
Agree -avoid
If in doubt DONT buy !
2 Jan, 2021
2021-1-2 3:37:09 PM UTC
Thank you all very much, I also had doubts and without references, it is a very great risk.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us