Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

5 Jan, 2021
2021-1-5 6:01:52 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

To further on my comment, I believe that what happens with POD varying quality is that they essentially 'facsimile reproductions' of the original.

The jacket for Saga is very different from the original first edition, not just a facsimile reproduction. Also, there is no Index other than the POD, so it isn't reproducting anything - it is an original POD creation.
5 Jan, 2021
2021-1-5 6:17:04 PM UTC
Did you not confirm that with HC's PODs they had to hand insert some of the plates or something? I was going to say something about POD variability and quality but with this in mind (people being involved) you'd think this type of misallignment would be noticed at point of sending/posting. Looks pretty off in the photos posted.
5 Jan, 2021
2021-1-5 6:38:02 PM UTC
Looking at the Saga and Index POD images shared here just now, it appears to me that the thickness of the book has changed (gotten thinner, different paper supply?) and the dustjacket has not, so the folds are in different locations. Can those with POD copies (that look good and look off) measure how thick their books are and share that information?

My POD Index (well centered dj) is 5cm thick.
5 Jan, 2021
2021-1-5 9:21:01 PM UTC
I’ve measured the thickness of the Index spine and indeed, my copy is thinner: 4,5 cm
5 Jan, 2021
2021-1-5 9:42:03 PM UTC
My POD Heidrek is perfectly centred, front, spine and rear. My POD index is perfectly centred front, spine, but a little off on the rear. Both were ordered at the time of release (and the Index is one of the first batch with the incorrect copyright line).

I didn't measure, but it looks to me that it is simply a case of moving to lighter weight paper.

David Brawn told me the jackets are batch printed. I doubt there is anything the printers of the books could have done to correct this, other than reprint on the original specification of paper. Might be worth someone mentioning to David next time they email him.
5 Jan, 2021
2021-1-5 11:27:07 PM UTC
My Index is 4.5 cm and the jacket is for the 5 cm book.
6 Jan, 2021
2021-1-6 2:01:58 AM UTC
I will measure my Saga copy as soon as I am back home this weekend - I am away for a couple days.

I will contact Customer Service in any case to inform them. I am mildly disappointed since it is a POD, not mass produced, and feel it isn’t unreasonable to expect that they’d have just reprinted that dust jacket to ensure proper alignment of the printed matter.
6 Jan, 2021
2021-1-6 2:35:11 AM UTC

eorl wrote:

I will measure my Saga copy as soon as I am back home this weekend - I am away for a couple days.

I will contact Customer Service in any case to inform them. I am mildly disappointed since it is a POD, not mass produced, and feel it isn’t unreasonable to expect that they’d have just reprinted that dust jacket to ensure proper alignment of the printed matter.

I think the laminated jackets are quite expensive to print, which is why they do them in advance batches. Basically the book is POD, but the jacket isn't.
6 Jan, 2021
2021-1-6 4:26:51 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

eorl wrote:

I think the laminated jackets are quite expensive to print, which is why they do them in advance batches. Basically the book is POD, but the jacket isn't.

Hmm that’s interesting. Seems like the HoME PODs are having the same issue too.

If they’ve changed the paper being used (which is causing the book thickness to decrease) then I think they should also change the dust jackets. Seems a bit wrong to palm something off on to people who are purchasing these PODs just because they have “leftover” dust jackets.
6 Jan, 2021
2021-1-6 5:29:52 AM UTC
I don't disagree - I suspect HarperCollins won't even be aware that the paper and thickness changed, to be honest. Hopefully they can put things right.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us