Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

14 Jan, 2021
2021-1-14 8:55:07 PM UTC
We now have GST collection at source in NZ as I previously mentioned (and a $1,000 tax free threshold where it has not been collected). We used to have a $400 threshold, but if you went over there was a $57 collection charge + import duties (0-10%) + GST (15%). I basically only bought stuff that I would be sure was way under the threshold, because the difference of tipping just into the wrong side was a lot of money, mainly due to the collection charge. This is why I still have two Hobbits in the UK that the in-laws were going to deliver to me, then COVID happened....

I imagine most big sellers will end up collecting destination taxes at source for most countries in the future (as agreements get updated). Will increase the cost by a little, but will reduce admin charges, and everyone gets to pay their fair share to pay for their public services.
14 Jan, 2021 (edited)
2021-1-14 9:04:38 PM UTC
Slightly Off Topic Stu, I read about a forthcoming translation of The Hobbit in maori. If it won't be available on Amazon here in Europe, I think you will have lot of "work" to do

(NZ is a special "first" for me, I bought my first 3 books by Tolkien in English in Wellington back in 2004: HoME IX, XI and XII.)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/pou-tiaki/te-r ... e-hobbit-into-te-reo-mori
14 Jan, 2021
2021-1-14 9:56:04 PM UTC

Ugo Truffelli wrote:

Slightly Off Topic Stu, I read about a forthcoming translation of The Hobbit in maori. If it won't be available on Amazon here in Europe, I think you will have lot of "work" to do

(NZ is a special "first" for me, I bought my first 3 books by Tolkien in English in Wellington back in 2004: HoME IX, XI and XII.)

I hadn't read about the Te Reo Hobbit previously. Will be interesting to see how that comes along. I might get in touch with the translator for a chat, I think. I expect we can probably sort out getting signed copies or somesuch when the time comes for anyone who is interested.
14 Jan, 2021
2021-1-14 11:48:14 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

I hadn't read about the Te Reo Hobbit previously. Will be interesting to see how that comes along. I might get in touch with the translator for a chat, I think. I expect we can probably sort out getting signed copies or somesuch when the time comes for anyone who is interested.

?
4 Feb, 2021
2021-2-4 8:33:38 PM UTC
Just a wee "good book story" for you all...

Recently sent a pile of books to the US from the UK for fellow TCG fellow. Used ParcelHero, who I'd never used before. They offer slightly lower prices for known couriers (UPS, DHL, etc) than the courier's own online sites; through whatever agreement they have and also the fact that they consolidate shipping. Price was £41 for 7.7kg of books; delivery was door-to-door; they did they customs declarations; and delivery time was four days. Pretty impressed.
5 Feb, 2021
2021-2-5 9:01:35 PM UTC
Uhm, didn't Michael Everson aka Evertype already hint at this in 2019 in reaction to a tweet by James?

On Hobbit translations:

"In preparation: Māori, Gaelic, Scots, Breton, and maybe more..."

https://twitter.com/Evertype/status/1160272296260579331
22 Feb, 2021 (edited)
2021-2-22 12:11:36 PM UTC
Hello everybody,
I'm in need of help as I'd like to bid on a UK ebay auction and the seller won't ship to Italy.
I need only a UK address to ship to, I'll obviously pay for both shipments (plus some more for your time) and could make use of services who collect the package from your house so you won't need to go to the PO.

Would anyone here be so kind to help me? Send me a PM in case.

Thanks in advance.
Max

EDIT: never mind, just found this: https://www.reship.com/services.html
6 May, 2021
2021-5-6 6:40:12 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Any UK member that would like to help me out? I'd like to buy a '58 Hobbit but the book can only be bought with a UK delivery address (and I'm in Belgium)...

Thanks all!
6 May, 2021
2021-5-6 8:36:36 AM UTC
In case it would be useful to some other, I also offer myself. I am a Tolkien fan and I live in Spain.

The problem with customs, such as Spain, is that apart from charging you management costs, they usually apply the general rate of 10% and then the general IVA, 21%. When the book rates are normally 0% and the IVA applicable to books is 4%.

Normally, it is by mistake in the classification of the shipment or directly, because they are interested in charging it and then if you want to claim.
6 May, 2021
2021-5-6 8:40:50 AM UTC
The interesting thing would be that the receiver in the country of origin will send it with a declared value lower than the minimum customs threshold.

In the case of Spain, between individuals 45 euros and 22 if sent by a company.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us