Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Eric Fraser

5 Mar, 2021
2021-3-5 10:51:15 AM UTC

Really interesting article from Brian Sibley about the illustrations for the radio series, very pleased that Brian managed to acquire most of the original artwork from Eric.

https://briansibleysblog.blogspot.com/ ... rd-of-rings-on-radio.html

10_60420d1fa5864.jpeg 1619X2048 px
5 Mar, 2021
2021-3-5 4:24:25 PM UTC
That was an excellent read. And especially lovely to see how fondly Brian looks back on that time.
5 Mar, 2021
2021-3-5 8:36:03 PM UTC
Wonderful information and images. Here is the ad.

ad2.jpg
vs.jpg
5 Mar, 2021
2021-3-5 10:13:55 PM UTC
The BBC Radio Series remains the best adaptation by an enormous margin, IMHO. I don't mind PJs LoTR movies for the most part (though I hate the over-the-top bits which take you right out of it) , but they are absolute hackery when you compare them to the radio version. Brian Sibley did an amazing job - it was almost like he let the books and original material guide him
5 Mar, 2021
2021-3-5 10:17:36 PM UTC
Agreed 100%, Stu
5 Mar, 2021
2021-3-5 10:19:24 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

The BBC Radio Series remains the best adaptation by an enormous margin, IMHO. I don't mind PJs LoTR movies for the most part (though I hate the over-the-top bits which take you right out of it) , but they are absolute hackery when you compare them to the radio version. Brian Sibley did an amazing job - it was almost like he let the books and original material guide him

Oh yeah
5 Mar, 2021
2021-3-5 10:40:02 PM UTC
Completely agree, Stu. The best adaptation outside of the books.
5 Mar, 2021
2021-3-5 10:51:12 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

I have always treated adaptations as entirely outside of Tolkien. I know that currently many people are really losing their SH!T over the Amazon series and many act like if it is rubbish then it will ruin Tolkien for them. I just think 'pffff whatever, if it is good then great, if is it rubbish then and? and nothing. It sucked. Move on Tolkien can't be touched. But the BBC series really does hold a special place for me. I think it is fabulous. I still apply the 'it's not Tlkien rule' but it is a wonderful series and agreed, the best adaptation.

I like the PJ movies. As movies aimed at a large general audience. They are not Tolkien. Howard Shore by the way did an amazing job with the music.
5 Mar, 2021
2021-3-5 11:11:51 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Stu wrote:

I have always treated adaptations as entirely outside of Tolkien. I know that currently many people are really losing their SH!T over the Amazon series and many act like if it is rubbish then it will ruin Tolkien for them. I just think 'pffff whatever, if it is good then great, if is it rubbish then and? and nothing. It sucked. Move on Tolkien can't be touched. But the BBC series really does hold a special place for me. I think it is fabulous. I still apply the 'it's not Tlkien rule' but it is a wonderful series and agreed, the best adaptation.

I like the PJ movies. As movies aimed at a large general audience. They are not Tolkien. Howard Shore by the way did an amazing job with the music.

I agree with you about how silly it is to think the Amazon series will somehow ruin Tolkien. I don't remotely think it will be to my tastes, but meh, I don't need to watch it (and almost certainly won't - I don't need fanfiction).
5 Mar, 2021
2021-3-5 11:23:07 PM UTC
I have finished my first listening of the radio adaptation a few months ago and found it amazing indeed!

I honestly don't like the nazgul cries
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us