Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

6 Mar, 2021
2021-3-6 1:06:13 AM UTC
Standard edition cover art (front): "Ships of the Faithful"
Standard edition cover art (rear): "Turin and His Band are Led to Amon Rudh"
Collector's edition slipcase: "The Burning of the Ships"
Collector's edition front cover, of the book: "Maglor Casts a Silmaril into the Sea"
Collector's edition art print: "White Ships From Valinor"
6 Mar, 2021
2021-3-6 1:38:13 AM UTC

Tapuvae wrote:

I have always liked that painting Wrath of Fingolfin for some reason.
Looks like the piece with the bright orange sky is the only new painting of Ted's shown thus far.
That one appears in the '04 edition and I'm pretty sure the '97 edition as well (though I don't have a copy on me to check). I think the ones onthetrail posted will be the new ones. I'm not sure about the Glorfindel piece though—I remember something about it being a private commission.
6 Mar, 2021
2021-3-6 3:09:00 AM UTC
These are great, better than I could have hoped for.

I plan on ordering both editions from Blackwells at some point next week. In addition to a new copy of Carpenter's "The Inklings" (need one for reading) and Raymond Edwards Tolkien biography in PB.
6 Mar, 2021
2021-3-6 3:14:47 AM UTC

Faramond wrote:

Tapuvae wrote:

I have always liked that painting Wrath of Fingolfin for some reason.
Looks like the piece with the bright orange sky is the only new painting of Ted's shown thus far.
That one appears in the '04 edition and I'm pretty sure the '97 edition as well (though I don't have a copy on me to check). I think the ones onthetrail posted will be the new ones. I'm not sure about the Glorfindel piece though—I remember something about it being a private commission.

The Glorfindel piece wasn't completed in time for the book, but will be in the 2022 calendar according to Ted.
6 Mar, 2021
2021-3-6 4:31:40 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

The Glorfindel piece wasn't completed in time for the book, but will be in the 2022 calendar according to Ted.

If this is indeed the case, it seems a bit ridiculous (to me) that they couldn’t wait a few weeks / months for the Glorfindel piece given this is the first ILLUSTRATED deluxe edition of The Silmarillion in more than a decade. ?
6 Mar, 2021
2021-3-6 4:57:03 AM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

These are great, better than I could have hoped for.

I plan on ordering both editions from Blackwells at some point next week. In addition to a new copy of Carpenter's "The Inklings" (need one for reading) and Raymond Edwards Tolkien biography in PB.

I ordered from BD. Works out about £70 delivered to NZ. I imagine there will be cheaper options, but my experience with booksetc with the last one was awful packaging and the inevitable damage. BD usually packs OK to NZ.
6 Mar, 2021
2021-3-6 4:59:13 AM UTC

eorl wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

If this is indeed the case, it seems a bit ridiculous (to me) that they couldn’t wait a few weeks / months for the Glorfindel piece given this is the first ILLUSTRATED deluxe edition of The Silmarillion in more than a decade. ?

The book was commissioned and art-complete in October 2020 in order to be ready for March release. The painting wasn’t even a concept at that point, it was started later. Should they have held up the book just in case Ted had more future art...?

The calendar is in planning now, and the new piece is finished. Should they not put it in the calendar because it was made after the book went to the printers...?
6 Mar, 2021
2021-3-6 5:23:45 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

The calendar is in planning now, and the new piece is finished. Should they not put it in the calendar because it was made after the book went to the printers...?

They should burn all the ones printed and print new ones, obvs.
6 Mar, 2021
2021-3-6 5:32:02 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

They should burn all the ones printed and print new ones, obvs.

Only after I have my copy of the faulty first print run. ?
6 Mar, 2021 (edited)
2021-3-6 9:46:42 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Good place to add that Ted Nasmith uploaded some art to his website.

https://www.tednasmith.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/TN-Luthien-at-Tol-Galen-2020.jpg

[...]

Really looking forward to holding this new edition.

By compiling all the information that we have, it seems to me that we can now confirm that this illustration of Luthien will be present in this new edition, but also that it will be the only one really unpublished. Am i right ?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us