Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

6 Mar, 2021 (edited)
2021-3-6 12:41:43 PM UTC
Well if the illustration was never planned to be in the book, then it’s a different issue, and of course I wouldn’t expect them to hold back on the book’s release. But my understanding from one of the posts was that “the illustration wasn’t completed in time” which is what seemed weird to me.
6 Mar, 2021
2021-3-6 1:43:50 PM UTC
I was under the impression from Ted's art agent that there would be a handful of new pieces for this book including some that were complex with a lot of figures. Perhaps I misunderstood.
6 Mar, 2021
2021-3-6 3:07:17 PM UTC

eorl wrote:

Well if the illustration was never planned to be in the book, then it’s a different issue, and of course I wouldn’t expect them to hold back on the book’s release. But my understanding from one of the posts was that “the illustration wasn’t completed in time” which is what seemed weird to me.

I have to agree with Eorl here (and hello my friend, a while since we spoke but I hope all is well).

The book is billed as having "new paintings", not a painting. So if this new edition is delivered with a single new illustration HarperCollins have not delivered on their hype, especially if then we have new Silm related illustrations adorning a calendar next year. So if there was not a selection of new paintings for the book it should have been delayed. Or else why have any expectations of what we will be presented with upon release based on the publishers own descriptions?
6 Mar, 2021
2021-3-6 3:44:21 PM UTC
I believe we can expect 3-5 images that haven't appeared in any prior illustrated edition.
6 Mar, 2021
2021-3-6 4:18:59 PM UTC
There will be a "handful" of new pieces in it - as I haven't seen it, I cannot say with any accuracy how many, in total. Tune in next weekend when Ted will reveal all, if you are a Tolkien Society member! (And if not, you are missing out ?)
6 Mar, 2021
2021-3-6 4:25:26 PM UTC
I already know which pieces will be new to it, via correspondence with Ted (see also the 2022 Calendar thread: that was also discussed during our e-mails). HOWEVER, I don't want to leak anything prematurely and get people in trouble; so it may be revealed at the Society event, or when people get their hands on the book and see the complete listing of plates.

If publication day rolls around and there's no mention of the new to an illustrated pieces, I'll post the relevant snippets then. After all, it'll be publication day, so the book will be out the door.
6 Mar, 2021
2021-3-6 8:23:18 PM UTC
If I'm not mistaken, Ted Nasmith has already given all or most of the answers in the Prancing Pony Podcast
6 Mar, 2021
2021-3-6 9:04:53 PM UTC
Must admit, I'm perfectly happy to wait and see when it turns up in my mailbox (sometime in about 2023 if trans-hemisphere COVID mail continues to be as pants as it is at the moment).
7 Mar, 2021
2021-3-7 5:15:18 AM UTC
Well after listening to the PP podcast the impression I got was that the Luthien piece is the only new painting, others are included for the first time in this new edition but have been shown on his website previously. If so, count me disappointed. I am hoping I misinterpreted. Seeing brand new pieces in the UT volume was a real treat.
7 Mar, 2021
2021-3-7 2:22:54 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Must admit, I'm perfectly happy to wait and see when it turns up in my mailbox (sometime in about 2023 if trans-hemisphere COVID mail continues to be as pants as it is at the moment).

This is my sentiment exactly Stu . Seeing the pictures is one thing, but the unboxing is so much better.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us