Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

27 Mar, 2021
2021-3-27 2:48:38 PM UTC

St. Troy wrote:

Do we know what the inscription on the page edges says?

I've seen on Reddit that you are a little bit disappointed about reactions here when writing:
"Excellent! Thanks for answering (I tried this question elsewhere and earned only mockery)."

I know, nobody wanted to hurt you. I'm really sorry if you suppose it and hope you stay here! It seems obviously that you are a newbie concerning Tolkien, being a little bit jealous about your first reading experience of LotR.
This forum is your best discovery when you are interested in different editions of Tolkien publications and some more. You will learn so much interesting backgrounds here.
I've noticed more traffic here in the last time, and I appreciate that. Fresh blood (if it's not black orcish one...) is definitely welcome! Please feel free to participate and ask more...
27 Mar, 2021
2021-3-27 3:19:28 PM UTC

Ithildin wrote:

It is stated on Amazon that this edition has a page number of 1248. The 50th Anniversary Edition has a page number of 1158, this means 90 pages less. I wonder which content will be in there. Even if you count the new added illustrations, you won't get this page number.
Furthermore, illustrated pages have not yet been counted, if you look at other published editions.

Worthy of note is this, from the collector's edition description:

"...and contained within are special features unique to this edition."
27 Mar, 2021
2021-3-27 5:24:50 PM UTC

Ithildin wrote:

St. Troy wrote:

Do we know what the inscription on the page edges says?

I've seen on Reddit that you are a little bit disappointed about reactions here when writing:
"Excellent! Thanks for answering (I tried this question elsewhere and earned only mockery)."

I know, nobody wanted to hurt you. I'm really sorry if you suppose it and hope you stay here! It seems obviously that you are a newbie concerning Tolkien, being a little bit jealous about your first reading experience of LotR.
This forum is your best discovery when you are interested in different editions of Tolkien publications and some more. You will learn so much interesting backgrounds here.
I've noticed more traffic here in the last time, and I appreciate that. Fresh blood (if it's not black orcish one...) is definitely welcome! Please feel free to participate and ask more...

As one of the mockers, I can only say that I certainly didn't intend any offence and am mortified to discover that I did!
27 Mar, 2021
2021-3-27 7:57:41 PM UTC
Thanks; FWIW, I took no actual offense and enjoyed (as well as understood) the jokes. I’m not new to Tolkien FYI; I just can’t read elvish.
28 Mar, 2021
2021-3-28 4:26:00 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Maybe not so important for an author like Tolkien but pre-orders are very important for authors. Pre-orders help authors get better marketing campaigns and as such better sales.

I always pre-order the books I am buying at the earliest opportunity unless I plan to wait for a cheaper price. It is more about loyalty that I order early, especially with the authors I collect or authors I feel I want to support, like a debut that I like the sound of.

I think you make a decent point for new or not-well-established authors, but I don't think it really applies at all to Tolkien, so I absolutely won't pay more than I need to for Tolkien (I need the money far more than they do!).
28 Mar, 2021 (edited)
2021-3-28 5:13:02 AM UTC
I've got to say, I think the Deluxe edition would look way better without the stamped signature. It is really the only thing I don't like about the design they have come up with.

Sometimes less is more. Though I think the sig on the spine looks fine.

228_606020ce89923.png 488X734 px
28 Mar, 2021
2021-3-28 5:44:48 AM UTC
Some movement on the price against the RRP.

For the Deluxe, Amazon briefly went to £108, but are back at £150. I'd think you should be able to get this for less than £100.

For the UK Trade edition, cheapest so far that I have seen is £52, I'd expect this to end up at around £30-40.
28 Mar, 2021
2021-3-28 6:28:23 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Some movement on the price against the RRP.

For the Deluxe, Amazon briefly went to £108, but are back at £150. I'd think you should be able to get this for less than £100.

For the UK Trade edition, cheapest so far that I have seen is £52, I'd expect this to end up at around £30-40.

Amazon is the reason we can't have nice things with sensible RRPs that allow for a quality product with a fair retail margin, a fair price for the customer and fair price for the manufacturer.
28 Mar, 2021
2021-3-28 6:56:35 AM UTC
Also, Trotter, next time you are talking to Chris or David, can you make them promise that it won't look like this

228_606028a318603.jpg 453X686 px
28 Mar, 2021
2021-3-28 6:59:55 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Also, Trotter, next time you are talking to Chris or David, can you make them promise that it won't look like this

I'm getting a feeling that you are not a big fan of that shade of orange.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us