Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

25 Mar, 2021
2021-3-25 11:17:18 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

A solution to the lack of plutonium availability for RTGs.
This is great
26 Mar, 2021
2021-3-26 5:39:28 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

I actually really like this "traffic cone orange" edition, as I may now begin to refer to it as.
I agree, it wasn't expected, but I think it looks nice.
26 Mar, 2021
2021-3-26 8:24:38 PM UTC
I finally received my deluxe Silmarillion yesterday evening (right at the end of Tolkien Reading Day broadcast!) which was a nice surprise. It did come in the protective box with the barcode sticker, and I did remember to check that I had the proper art print and map (not two of one or the other).

The printer is making more of the art/map prints, so they will be able to help out anyone who got stuck with a duplicate. Reach out to HarperCollins customer service if this happened to you, and be patient.
2 Apr, 2021
2021-4-2 6:02:11 PM UTC
George_V Review of the illustrated Hardcover and Deluxe edition

2 Apr, 2021
2021-4-2 8:19:26 PM UTC
Sumptuous.
2 Apr, 2021 (edited)
2021-4-2 9:29:36 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

George_V Review of the illustrated Hardcover and Deluxe edition

I love these videos. I’ve been watching them for months and I didn’t know the creator was in here!

George’s amazing videos are part of the reason I started collecting more seriously =D
7 Apr, 2021 (edited)
2021-4-7 2:38:33 PM UTC
I ordered both the standard and the de luxe. They are beautiful editions and the typography is excellent. I also prefer the matte paper used for the illustrations over the glossy paper used in previous editions.

I was,however, very disappointed to note a glaring typo on page xxiv (in the introductory letter to Milton Waldman) - the text of the footnote on that page is repeated in the main text of the letter, rendering the last part of that paragraph unintelligible (although no part of the main text is actually lost). They should have attempted to correct this in the de luxe or at least issued an errata note with the book.
7 Apr, 2021
2021-4-7 3:30:46 PM UTC

Quicksilver wrote:

I ordered both the standard and the de luxe. They are beautiful editions and the typography is excellent. I also prefer the matte paper used for the illustrations over the glossy paper used in previous editions.

I was,however, very disappointed to note a glaring typo on page xxiv (in the introductory letter to Milton Waldman) - the text of the footnote on that page is repeated in the main text of the letter, rendering the last part of that paragraph unintelligible (although no part of the main text is actually lost). They should at least tried to correct this 9n the de luxe or at least issued an errata note with the book.

The errata (or I guess it would be 'corringa'....) would be that same letter in another edition of The Silmarillion, if you own a second copy published in 1999 or later.
8 Apr, 2021
2021-4-8 2:05:13 PM UTC
Have any of you finally ordered your Silmarillion(s) with Kennys.ie?
If yes, how was the packaging/service/delivery speed?
Are they providing tracked posting service?
8 Apr, 2021
2021-4-8 2:21:23 PM UTC

Emilien wrote:

Have any of you finally ordered your Silmarillion(s) with Kennys.ie?
If yes, how was the packaging/service/delivery speed?
Are they providing tracked posting service?

I did. I ordered the deluxe edition and it came in less than two weeks (I live in Italy). Shipment was not tracked, the packaging was fine.

Then I ordered the standard edition from Amazon.it but they couldn't deliver me a copy with a decent DJ (packaging was horrible both times), so I decided to get the standard from Kennys as well. This time they took a week just to ship the book (they shipped the deluxe the day after I ordered), it should come in next week I guess. I'll let you know about packaging since this time is way more important (deluxe had his own box which kept the book safe anyway).
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us