Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

8 Apr, 2021
2021-4-8 4:57:48 PM UTC

Ithildin wrote:

Ok, I think I understand what you are meaning when discussing a deluxe layout without any illustrations. Nevertheless, the older deluxe line wasn’t inevitably equipped with pictures. Being deluxe isn’t a question of illustrations alone, I think.
I would appreciate if there will be a kind of ‘deluxe’ edition for this book, but with no need for the same style as the recently published UT and Sil.

I also don't think illustrations are necessary for a "deluxe" edition—just look at the deluxe editions of Sigurd and Beowulf. Also taking into account HMH divesting their publishing branch to HC and it would seem that the audience for a deluxe has grown. If a deluxe edition doesn't happen, I'm hoping at least for some signed bookplates similar to the CoH release. Perhaps this has entered the realm of speculation, so I will leave it at that.
8 Apr, 2021
2021-4-8 6:39:18 PM UTC
I totally think this is just a mistake (they likely didn't update the release plan when the English edition was shifted to September), but Klett-Kotta has the German translation Natur und Wesen von Mittelerde (Nature of Middle-earth) announced for July 24th. ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Natur-Wesen-v ... collsguid-21&linkCode=osi

https://www.amazon.de/Natur-Wesen-Mitt ... lexibrium-21&linkCode=osi
8 Apr, 2021
2021-4-8 8:46:15 PM UTC
Would anyone else be totally fine NOT having a deluxe edition of this? I'd love for them to make the sole hardcover release good quality instead. The constant FOMO and increased pricing is wearisome...
8 Apr, 2021
2021-4-8 8:50:45 PM UTC

Caudimordax wrote:

Would anyone else be totally fine NOT having a deluxe edition of this? I'd love for them to make the sole hardcover release good quality instead. The constant FOMO and increased pricing is wearisome...

I have no interest in deluxe for anything I regard as 'reference'.

HoME, History of the Hobbit, this new Nature of, academic work, companions etc.

They just have no value for me in deluxe as I cover most of my reference books with notes.
8 Apr, 2021
2021-4-8 11:40:34 PM UTC
I wouldn’t complain if HC did a deluxe edition along the lines of the long running “deluxe” editions.

My only gripe (which most of you know!) is that the HoMe deluxe doesn’t really match the rest of the series anyway. So I wouldn’t be too bothered if they skipped this one altogether. ??‍♂️
9 Apr, 2021
2021-4-9 2:28:24 AM UTC
Selfishly, I’d love an alternate version that matches the 90’s UK HoME. Nobody needs this though!
9 Apr, 2021
2021-4-9 3:14:51 AM UTC
This one feels like a great candidate for a nicely produced trade edition purchase for me, personally (and HCs recent trade editions have been good quality), and not so much for a deluxe edition. Everyone's mileage varies of course. I'm a tiny bit wearied by deluxe editions. I imagine, if there was a nice Hobbit to match the upcoming LoTR, I'd probably be in, but beyond that, I'm probably not especially bothered. With NoME, I'm more interested in the content than the packaging.
9 Apr, 2021
2021-4-9 3:15:31 AM UTC

Caudimordax wrote:

Selfishly, I’d love an alternate version that matches the 90’s UK HoME. Nobody needs this though!

10 minutes with a graphics package will sort that
9 Apr, 2021
2021-4-9 5:36:41 PM UTC

Caudimordax wrote:

I'm a little bit confused about your used choice of words, tbh. We are here in a 'collecting' forum, discussing different editions of books. Indeed, I make no secret of my favour concerning deluxe editions. But this is for reasons like aesthetics, haptics or even smell. For the same reasons I don't like paperbacks very much, so you will not find very much of them in my collection. But there is definitely no fear of missing out something, when expressing my wishes or thoughts about books. Could it be more a fear of yourself?
Nobody is forced to buy a new published edition, this is a personal decision.
9 Apr, 2021
2021-4-9 7:30:57 PM UTC

Ithildin wrote:

Caudimordax wrote:

I'm a little bit confused about your used choice of words, tbh. We are here in a 'collecting' forum, discussing different editions of books. Indeed, I make no secret of my favour concerning deluxe editions. But this is for reasons like aesthetics, haptics or even smell. For the same reasons I don't like paperbacks very much, so you will not find very much of them in my collection. But there is definitely no fear of missing out something, when expressing my wishes or thoughts about books. Could it be more a fear of yourself?
Nobody is forced to buy a new published edition, this is a personal decision.

Pretty sure Caudimordax was talking about himself when mentioning FOMO. I didn't read his comment as being pointed at anyone else at all. Seemed like a legitimate question to me. Your response seems a bit strong, tbh.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us