Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Todd Howard

12 Apr, 2021
2021-4-12 1:20:09 PM UTC

Todd works for Bethesda Game Studios which produce the Elder Scrolls games. Not many books on his shelves, but he only needed two for the inspiration for these computer games

10_60744908f0ea4.jpg 1286X724 px
12 Apr, 2021
2021-4-12 2:36:44 PM UTC
One could even argue that the name "Skyrim" is the inverse of "Middle-earth".

Sky = earth
rim = Middle

The order of the names is also reversed: with the 'element' appearing first, and the 'measurement' appearing second.

Side note: looking forward to The Elder Scrolls VI. Once all the DLC and content is out for it, I'll be sure to get it on XSX.
12 Apr, 2021
2021-4-12 4:48:40 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

Sky = earth
rim = Middle

The order of the names is also reversed: with the 'element' appearing first, and the 'measurement' appearing second.

Side note: looking forward to The Elder Scrolls VI. Once all the DLC and content is out for it, I'll be sure to get it on XSX.

Also, just a note. Skyrim was once called Mereth. Take from that what you wish.
12 Apr, 2021
2021-4-12 6:41:27 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

Sky = earth
rim = Middle

Actually, if I were going to make this comparison, I would make a case for the other order of the terms: mapping “earth” onto “rim” and “middle” onto “sky”. The “earth” part of “Middle-earth” is really “geard” (=yard), meaning ‘enclosure’, which can be compared to the “rim” element of Skyrim (which is a kind of enclosure around a circle). The “middle” part was originally conceived of vertically, situating the realm of humans (middan-geard) as between hell and heaven, which is to say the “sky”. So one could view a “Sky-rim” as the next tier up in vertical space from the “Middle-yard” (>> Middle-earth).
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us