Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

10 Apr, 2021
2021-4-10 7:28:47 PM UTC
I think you are right and they will not going to fare well over time. I’m using my trade hardbacks as reading copies and not worrying too much. After all there is something attractive about a well read, well thumbed book. But my de luxe editions are collectibles which I probably won’t read. I think these will hold up reasonably well.
10 Apr, 2021
2021-4-10 9:02:02 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

SpeedyHen standard S, which was ordered on Thursday night, was delivered this morning (SAT). Speedy. Despite zero protective packaging, book was in far better condition; square & the jacket about as umarked as one could hope for.

It's a real pity these jackets are so (relatively) fragile in terms of cosmetic appearance. It's the HC golden runes all over again. In 20-30 years time these aren't going to fair well.

Could be a first edition Inklings jacket!
10 Apr, 2021
2021-4-10 9:02:51 PM UTC

Quicksilver wrote:

I think you are right and they will not going to fare well over time. I’m using my trade hardbacks as reading copies and not worrying too much. After all there is something attractive about a well read, well thumbed book. But my de luxe editions are collectibles which I probably won’t read. I think these will hold up reasonably well.

Just stick a mylar protector on each book (probably a dollar ot two a book), and they will be fine.
10 Apr, 2021
2021-4-10 9:47:26 PM UTC
Absolutely - yes, I use those. Guaranteed to extend the life of any dust jacket ?
10 Apr, 2021
2021-4-10 9:58:41 PM UTC

Quicksilver wrote:

Absolutely - yes, I use those. Guaranteed to extend the life of any dust jacket ?

I've never had a jacket sustain any damage once one was put on. I tend to just slip the jacket off the book and set it aside when reading, anyway.

You still need to keep the books out of the light, etc., of course, especially if they are fadey ones (e.g. 1st Unwin UTs and Sils, etc), but those are the minority.
13 Apr, 2021
2021-4-13 8:27:18 PM UTC
I ordered it on Book Despository and it arrived damaged. I called them to return the title but they gave me a refund and told me to keep the title. I then took a 2 hours drive to Montréal (Canada) in an Indigo bookshop and went physically to check the condition of the books. They received five and only one of them was in perfect shape. Nonetheless, I think every book is somehow damaged or have a bit of scuffle...
13 Apr, 2021
2021-4-13 9:26:35 PM UTC

eonwe wrote:

I ordered it on Book Despository and it arrived damaged. I called them to return the title but they gave me a refund and told me to keep the title. I then took a 2 hours drive to Montréal (Canada) in an Indigo bookshop and went physically to check the condition of the books. They received five and only one of them was in perfect shape. Nonetheless, I think every book is somehow damaged or have a bit of scuffle...

I wouldn't put that much effort in to get a copy of this! I think it is just in the nature of the matte jackets. Cheaper to produce, attractive to look at when perfect, but much less durable.

Of course it is frustrating when you end up with 60 year old books in better condition than new ones.
16 Apr, 2021
2021-4-16 3:48:57 PM UTC
I finally just got my standard edition, 5 weeks after ordering it from Blackwell's (the previous 9 books I order have still not arrived, though.

It arrived with a bit of damage in the edges of the dust jacket. I'm a bit disappointed, since just months ago Blackwell's wrapped the books nicely, but now they're simply inside a box.

Happy to have received it, though. It's beautiful.
16 Apr, 2021
2021-4-16 4:26:36 PM UTC
Read through this thread - it's not 'shipping damage' it's 'production fault'
16 Apr, 2021
2021-4-16 4:34:47 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

Read through this thread - it's not 'shipping damage' it's 'production fault'

How can you tell with any certainty, from just the sentence saying it "arrived with a bit of damage in the edges of the dust jacket"?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us