Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 1:24:50 AM UTC
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: obeliskbooks
(572)
Ended May 10, 2021
This item ended more than 90 days ago

Not any of the artists' finest work. Must have been some super-rushed sketching at the event.

Also, some very blurry pictures from ObeliskBooks, who have been around long enough to buy a camera.
1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 2:08:44 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Also, some very blurry pictures from ObeliskBooks, who have been around long enough to buy a camera.

100% of their listings are like this. It’s funny because the blurriest one is always the copyright page.
1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 2:28:52 AM UTC

Philomythos wrote:

Stu wrote:

100% of their listings are like this. It’s funny because the blurriest one is always the copyright page.

You actually have to try to take photos that bad these days, even with a budget smartphone. Mind you, vaseline on the lens is probably a good thing in this case. I'm half decent at sketching (but only half), and I'd be pretty unhappy with most of those (it is hard to see Ted's through the blur, so his might well be better than the picture lets on).

I feel like the owner of the book had a sketch by Ted, which was OK (but odd in an Alan Lee illustrated book) and then went on to completely ruin it.
1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 6:19:26 AM UTC
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: jill_1956
(1596)
Ended May 7, 2021
This item ended more than 90 days ago
1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 6:57:22 AM UTC

Jlong wrote:

As I've expressed earlier, that edition is not my cup of tea. That copy that sold seems pricey even with sale prices being what they currently are.

What did the rest of you pay for that edition?

I paid £22 in 2019 for a 1st print 1968 in pretty decent condition. Was super lucky on that one. One of my nicest bargains alongside my purple UT at £9.
1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 9:08:39 AM UTC

Emilien wrote:

Jlong wrote:

As I've expressed earlier, that edition is not my cup of tea. That copy that sold seems pricey even with sale prices being what they currently are.

What did the rest of you pay for that edition?

I paid £22 in 2019 for a 1st print 1968 in pretty decent condition. Was super lucky on that one. One of my nicest bargains alongside my purple UT at £9.

That was a good price for your Hobbit. I now know of three people that have gotten purple UTs for £9ish (myself included). Must be a lucky number.
1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 11:01:23 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Stu wrote:

Berelach wrote:

https://affiliates.abebooks.com/c/9724 ... Dsnippet-_-srp1-_-image12

If you realllly want it...

At this point, I would not be surprised if that sold.

It has been removed or sold

Just to disclose the secret: I've bought this copy. I paid £330 for it. This isn't low, but I think reasonable, considering some aspects:

- I bought it from Ireland, this means no additional VAT or customs fees, even no fees for currency exchange for me.
- shipping costs are included
- prices are increasing
- this book is scarce

tbh, even the lucky strikes reported here do not represent 'normal' price levels. (I would have grabbed it as well for such a ridiculous small amount, if I would have gotten such a chance in the past ;))
Looking at the price Berelach paid years ago and adding all stated further aspects, this price was not a bargain but still acceptable, I think.
1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 3:56:21 PM UTC
Beginner's question: why is the Longman's edition of The Hobbit so valuable/expensive among collectors?
1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 4:07:25 PM UTC

Ligandil wrote:

Beginner's question: why is the Longman's edition of The Hobbit so valuable/expensive among collectors?

I think it's a combination of things.
1. The cover artist is unknown and the cover is so unlike any other Tolkien book
2. These were for elementary schools and libraries, so most got beat up pretty badly and are not around anymore
3. There were only two print runs (I don't know the size) perhaps others do.
1 May, 2021
2021-5-1 4:08:36 PM UTC
I don't know the exact reason, but it could be why The Lord of the Rings Readers Union editions are sought after and treasured: it's a kind of one-off. As far as I'm aware, Longman's hasn't published any other Tolkien titles besides The Hobbit, likewise with Readers Union with regards to The Lord of the Rings.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us