Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 5:56:55 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

I completely agree with you that things might change at the last minute.

My opinion was based around what is CURRENTLY the official description. For The Hobbit Facsimile Edition, there was supposed to be the map, CD etc included when it was FIRST first announced.....but, shortly before publication, they dropped all the 'extra' stuff, and did The Hobbit Facsimile Gift Set with what was removed from what appeared in the 2016 edition.

I will fully own up to being wrong, due to something being changed. But, as of this moment, looking at the current descriptions is not speculation. If I seemed testy, that was why.

There's a reason why Urulókë and Trotter always wait to hear from HarperCollins before making definitive statements like that.
14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 6:04:21 PM UTC
I think it should be even tighter than that - when it's officially announced by the publisher, publicly.

I knew about the contents of this year's illustrated edition of The Silmarillion and the 2022 Tolkien Calendar since January (correspondence with both Ted Nasmith and Brian Sibley)....but didn't want to leak it early (and get them into trouble), or, have something be changed prior to it being finalized; so I'd be like ".....ah, never mind! It's different than what I said."

Anyway, that quite the dovetail. Let's get back to the topic of the thread, shall we? I am grateful to be here and don't want to stir up trouble by reinforcing a comment or thought. Going forward, I will take these recent posts into consideration when posting on the forum.
14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 6:12:23 PM UTC
If HarperCollins correspond with board members, and give permission for that to be disclosed, it is not going to get them into trouble.

Any statements from the Publisher always have the proviso that they are 'subject to change'.
14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 6:13:35 PM UTC
Good to know, thank you.
14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 6:19:17 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

I think it should be even tighter than that - when it's officially announced by the publisher, publicly.

I knew about the contents of this year's illustrated edition of The Silmarillion and the 2022 Tolkien Calendar since January (correspondence with both Ted Nasmith and Brian Sibley)....but didn't want to leak it early (and get them into trouble), or, have something be changed prior to it being finalized; so I'd be like ".....ah, never mind! It's different than what I said."

Anyway, that quite the dovetail. Let's get back to the topic of the thread, shall we? I am grateful to be here.

When HarperCollins tells me something (for example, the expanded print run plans for the forthcoming illustrated deluxe Lord of the Rings) and gives me permission to share that information, THIS WEBSITE IS AN OFFICIAL CHANNEL FOR HARPERCOLLINS announcements.

When these announcements are mixed in with your posts making definitive statements about forthcoming editions, it misleads readers of this website to think that you have definitive news from a trusted source about future releases.

That is what I am trying to prevent. With Mr. Underhill's language suggestions such as "the description leaked to Blackwell's says X" or "Amazon UK listing has been created for a new Y book" that's fun to share, and helpful for those interested, and important to make these distinctions.

I agree with your handling of the information you got from Ted and Brian, you did the right thing. I sit on a ton of inside information all the time, because of trust with my friends/sources and knowing (by asking if I am not sure) what can be made public or not.
14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 6:29:06 PM UTC
"THIS WEBSITE IS AN OFFICIAL CHANNEL FOR HARPERCOLLINS announcements."

I did not know that - I know that this website is (deservedly) very reputable, just had no idea it would be official in this regard. Let it be known that I am taking note of this, to enforce the integrity and accuracy of it.
14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 6:42:28 PM UTC
You trimmed off the very important caveat - "When HarperCollins tells me something and gives me permission to share that information".

The board members who have this relationship with our sources always mention official, shareable news with wording to that effect - "HarperCollins told me X" or "confirmed that Y" for examples. Quite possible for you to have sources and relationships to give you new information to share, and that would also be appreciated. That's why I started this sub-thread asking who your sources were - with that added to your statement, it could be a valuable addition to this site.

HarperCollins staff don't have accounts here and don't post directly, but they do share information with trusted board members to pass on, occasionally.

How, pray tell, do you plan on "enforcing" anything here?
14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 6:50:26 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Oh! I might not have been clear. I was referring to my own posts.
14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 7:57:45 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

Oh! I might not have been clear. I was referring to my own posts.

That makes a lot more sense, thanks. ?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us