Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

20 Aug, 2021
2021-8-20 8:39:13 PM UTC
Among the CoH 1st trade copies, there is one with 4 sketches (by Jef Murray, Ruth Lacon, Alan Lee and Ted Nasmith).
This copy was listed on ebay some months ago by obelisk books...
So I guess this seller should have purchased this and relisted it on Abe

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
The Children of Hurin
J.R.R.Tolkien
(Hardcover)
£343.24
Availability: Not Available
20 Aug, 2021 (edited)
2021-8-20 8:43:34 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

You can always pay for Abebooks listings with a credit card through the website - the other ways to pay are optional and outside of the control of Abebooks. Should one buy through the website, you will have the standard protection from Abebooks for your purchase.

My feeling here is that this seller is/was a Tolkien collector, or else acquired a collection from one. Their knowledge for what they have appears to be limited, but they have been on Abebooks for six years and have a five start rating, so I don't think they are a scam, just more likely they cannot tell what they have in hand.

Quite possible - but the shaky/blurred picture seems odd. I've seen a few of these sold over the years from different sellers where the seller has done this, but only with the key picture. Always makes me feel like the seller doesn't have any faith in what they are selling (even if they weren't directly involved in anything dodgy).

Edit: I wonder if this is that same copy I didn't like the look of and this seller has re-used the same image. I'll have a dig as I might have saved off the listing somewhere.
20 Aug, 2021
2021-8-20 8:44:58 PM UTC

Emilien wrote:

Among the CoH 1st trade copies, there is one with 4 sketches (by Jef Murray, Ruth Lacon, Alan Lee and Ted Nasmith).

The Children of Hurin
J.R.R.Tolkien
(Hardcover)
£343.24

Ugh. That absolute mess.
20 Aug, 2021
2021-8-20 8:47:13 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Quite possible - but the shaky/blurred picture seems odd. I've seen a few of these sold over the years from different sellers where the seller has done this, but only with the key picture. Always makes me feel like the seller doesn't have any faith in what they are selling (even if they weren't directly involved in anything dodgy).

No disagreement from me. I do have to say, though, that I would rather blurry pictures than crisp, high res ones that get turned into fakes! If I were interested in the listing, I would definitely ask them to privately send me additional pictures for me to get more comfortable with the bookplate (wouldn't have to be the entire bookplate). With today's newspaper included. ?
20 Aug, 2021
2021-8-20 8:47:29 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Emilien wrote:

The Children of Hurin
J.R.R.Tolkien
(Hardcover)
£343.24

Ugh. That absolute mess.

Yes
20 Aug, 2021
2021-8-20 8:48:54 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Ugh. That absolute mess.

Huh - those are exactly the same pictures I have seen before for this book. I think the dealer is reusing photos rather than taking their own, at last in this listing.
20 Aug, 2021
2021-8-20 8:57:11 PM UTC
I remember taking a note of these sales at the time (eBay, ABE, etc) and in respect to copies acquired at Waterstones (London), Alan Lee didn't sign any copies directly on the plate that I noted. He always signed on the title page. The copies dual signed on the plate were the copies that went to the US, as Lee didn't travel to the US at publication. (All the plates were obviously signed by CT in advance for all markets.) I do agree there would be plates floating around signed by CT alone or both, and these could obviously be stuck in any copy.
20 Aug, 2021
2021-8-20 9:01:01 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Stu wrote:

Ugh. That absolute mess.

Huh - those are exactly the same pictures I have seen before for this book. I think the dealer is reusing photos rather than taking their own, at last in this listing.

Yeah, which might explain the shakycam photo. I think they have reused the photo (albeit even lower res) from when it was last sold on eBay. I queried that seller at the time and didn't get anything other than an evasive response (they didn't supply a better photo). In that listing all the other photos were fine, just not the bookplate one. I didn't like the look of it at all at the time. It might even be saved on this site somewhere.
20 Aug, 2021 (edited)
2021-8-20 10:53:50 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Berelach wrote:

Stu wrote:

OK, I'll admit to buying this. Arrived this morning, and is indeed "as new". I already have a copy (also as new), but I'll probably keep this one (instead) by virtue of it being a lower number. I only really bought it because (a) it was in NZ, and (b) I knew a Tolkien dealer/vulture would pounce on it if I didn't. I'm of the feeling that leaving obvious food on their table is not in my best interests.

Umm... may I buy your second copy pls?

I'm surprised you haven't got one. Genuine question - have you been looking and just never found a suitable copy or was it something that wasn't really on your radar in times past? Back when I bought my copy, they definitely weren't super hard to find, but like everything else they do seem to be a little scarce at the moment (as do all the illustrated deluxe editions in this style).

It's always been on my radar, but has not always been my highest priority I suppose. I've been looking more the last couple years but haven't had any luck. Most likely I've seen copies before that, which I just couldn't afford at the time.
I've always thought of this and the 1997 Hatchards Hobbit as sort of an unofficial pair and I only just recently managed to finally get one of those Hobbits... so I'm now looking a bit more actively for Sil. If you're willing to consider parting with it, let me know or send me an email. No worries either way Stu.
21 Aug, 2021
2021-8-21 3:53:23 AM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Seller: cranswick-books
(811)
Ended Aug 21, 2021
This item ended more than 90 days ago

Here's one for the deep pocketed amongst us.

Someone did pay the almost $8000 for this one. ?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us