Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Parma Eldarlamberon POD

10 Jun, 2021
2021-6-10 11:05:22 PM UTC

This from Christopher Gilson: "Took another step forward on making back-issues of “Parma Eldalamberon” available on demand. No. 19, “Quenya Phonology” includes 3 crucial texts showing how Tolkien imagined his favourite invented language developed phonetically from Primitive Eldarin."

Still hoping one day, for a collected Parma Eldalamberon.

https://app.thebookpatch.com/BookStore ... GpO75lSrA_OyrYte8ZRcP3vFE
11 Jun, 2021
2021-6-11 4:26:48 PM UTC
This is brilliant, thank you for the heads-up, Mr Underhill!

I'm so pleased Christopher Gilson is working on making Parma available again. I'd noticed a few months back that PE20 had become available on BookPatch and ordered it then. BookPatch's shipping rates are a bit pricey, but if anyone else is considering purchasing from them, I can report that book was packaged well and delivery was quite speedy.
23 Sep, 2021
2021-9-23 12:48:03 PM UTC
The three available shipping options to the EU (Ireland) are very expensive! I wonder if an IT issue has caused the slower, better value shipping options not to be displayed.

5118_614c774649c12.png 850X448 px
23 Sep, 2021
2021-9-23 3:41:20 PM UTC
The Print on Demand copies are being (printed and) sold through The Book Patch, which seems to indicate that it supports a variety of international shipping options:

https://www.thebookpatch.com/shippingoptions/

Perhaps reaching out to their support will be able to answer what is going on for you: https://www.thebookpatch.com/contact/

1_614c9fe78dc15.jpg 1786X1306 px
23 Sep, 2021
2021-9-23 8:46:44 PM UTC
I wonder what the primary challenges are getting this to PoD. Like, if it's just a lack of raw manpower, I would be willing to throw my hat in the ring for nothing (well, maybe a copy of the collected works once completed!) My day job is as an editor, so I reckon I wouldn't be entirely useless.

Edit: Upon reflection, I'm sure even less useless people than me have suggested this before.
11 Oct, 2021
2021-10-11 7:32:57 PM UTC
From Christopher Gilson:

"Another back-issue of Parma Eldalamberon is now available on demand. Words, Phrases and Passages is a collection of Tolkien’s notes on the Quenya, Sindarin, Dwarvish, Rohirric and Black Speech examples occurring in The Lord of the Rings, with his translations, grammatical explanations, and etymologies. Each sentence from the story with relevant invented words or names is cited, so that W.P.P. can be used as a commentary by Tolkien on his nomenclature to accompany a rereading of L.R., or read by itself as an epitome of the linguistically memorable passages in his masterpiece. This reprinting corrects various errors and a few ommissions noted in the first printing, and now includes a running header of page references to the first edition of L.R. (around which Tolkien organized his notes), to facilitate cross-reference and use of the accompanying indices of Eldarin roots and glossed words. A beautiful portrait of 'Mithrandir' by Patrick H. Wynne graces the cover of this reprinting of Parma Eldalamberon no. 17."

https://app.thebookpatch.com/BookStoreResults?search=parma%20eldalamberon&ddl=any

Spread the word!
11 Oct, 2021
2021-10-11 7:38:12 PM UTC
Was just coming here to post this, thanks Aelfwine! I have my updated copy on order. So happy that this one was done next, there's a lot of pent up demand for this particular issue.
11 Oct, 2021
2021-10-11 9:47:59 PM UTC
I must raise a new ticket on the Book Patch. No response on my initial one and no sign of any affordable shipping options to Europe.

5118_6164b0fcbf65f.png 779X528 px
11 Oct, 2021
2021-10-11 10:07:02 PM UTC
Book Patch does have some bad reviews for customer service (or lack thereof). I am hopeful that my current order(s) go through - if so, I am willing to be an intermediary for international buyers to help reduce shipping costs, because they are definitely silly through the site itself.

Hold off on asking me to do so, for the time being. I will update this thread when I have more info to share.
11 Oct, 2021
2021-10-11 11:48:31 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Book Patch does have some bad reviews for customer service (or lack thereof). I am hopeful that my current order(s) go through - if so, I am willing to be an intermediary for international buyers to help reduce shipping costs, because they are definitely silly through the site itself.

Hold off on asking me to do so, for the time being. I will update this thread when I have more info to share.

I just received an order from them yesterday of a few issues I was missing. Wish I'd known about #17 earlier so they could have all shipped together, but not a big deal, happy to know about it now, thanks!! Not sure if this helps but their service was prompt, books were packed adequately and all look great.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us