Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

5 Nov, 2021
2021-11-5 9:12:39 AM UTC
The number and variety of issues which have surfaced these last days is simply unbelievable...
This is totally unthinkable to figure out such a poor quality check for an edition of this importance (deluxe, RRP, but also historically and bibliographically speaking - ie the first edition of the Lord of the Rings comprising illustrations by the author.)
5 Nov, 2021
2021-11-5 10:03:51 AM UTC
This is way worse than I expected. I think with the deluxe we will end up with around 40% defective and perhaps 30% only fit for the bin. It is going to be very expensive for someone.
5 Nov, 2021
2021-11-5 11:55:21 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

This is way worse than I expected. I think with the deluxe we will end up with around 40% defective and perhaps 30% only fit for the bin. It is going to be very expensive for someone.

Then there are the people who only have a cursory glance through the books and place them on shelves and the terrible production issues get lost. I think this will sit above 40% all told.

When all else is said, these new editions should have been fantastic. Tolkien’s artwork used for the first time, supposed deluxe treatment and a trade that had an RRP of £60 should have fantastic artwork included. I can see through said art to the other side of many of these images and the best reproduction of these images is still the fabulous Art of The Lord of the Rings. These editions should be the best thus far. If HarperCollins could not deliver the very best with these then they should not have attempted them at all.

I have to question the motivations of the publisher when they set out to produce a 'deluxe' item that uses poor paper yet includes pull out maps and facsimile items. The facsimile items are cheap, yet create the appearance of an upgrade. Skip the tat and make a deluxe product. None of us will talk about the King's Letter or the other facsimile items when this edition is referenced, we will talk about the high price for a substandard product.
5 Nov, 2021
2021-11-5 3:17:07 PM UTC

Emilien wrote:

The number and variety of issues which have surfaced these last days is simply unbelievable...

This is exactly why I believe HC should at least issue an apology, it’s simply embarrassing.

I just hope the upcoming Pictures has less issues.
5 Nov, 2021
2021-11-5 4:15:50 PM UTC
On the bright side: a flawless first printing copy of this edition is now something to collect ?
5 Nov, 2021
2021-11-5 4:28:29 PM UTC

northman wrote:

On the bright side: a flawless first printing copy of this edition is now something to collect ?

If Stu is right and it ends up with around 40% having errors and they upped the number from 6,000 to 10,000 as some have suggested we'll just be back at their original 6,000 number ?
5 Nov, 2021
2021-11-5 4:46:56 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

northman wrote:

If Stu is right and it ends up with around 40% having errors and they upped the number from 6,000 to 10,000 as some have suggested we'll just be back at their original 6,000 number ?

I don't think these volumes will be collectable or valuable for a looooong time, if ever.
5 Nov, 2021
2021-11-5 7:26:30 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Then there are the people who only have a cursory glance through the books and place them on shelves and the terrible production issues get lost. I think this will sit above 40% all told.

It is certainly possible, although the sample from the survey here comes from people who will have checked the books pretty thoroughly, knowing the potential issues.
5 Nov, 2021
2021-11-5 7:30:09 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

It is certainly possible, although the sample from the survey here comes from people who will have checked the books pretty thoroughly, knowing the potential issues.

Agreed, I should have been more clear that I mean the general public. I am certain that the group here will have checked their books to minutiae degree
5 Nov, 2021
2021-11-5 7:30:26 PM UTC
I've not bought the deluxe & have no intention of acquiring a copy.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us