Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

9 Nov, 2021 (edited)
2021-11-9 8:45:33 PM UTC

Caudimordax wrote:

Emilien - Thanks man, you were there for the hunt! I call it "catharsis in book form". Definitely something I'd try to rescue were the house to catch fire!

Mr. Underhill - I was so happy they all fit together on this shelf! When the Index came in yesterday, I was genuinely worried the setup wouldn't work next to VT. I might, perhaps, reconsider when I get my hands on The Great Tales Never End, Tolkien's Legendarium, and Tolkien and His Literary Resonances. Or, I'll just build a bigger shelf!

Stu - First print, and it's funny you should ask. I suspect that some of the 2nd impressions have different spine designs, smaller HC logos, etc. But, doing conclusive research any way beyond just buying copies for comparison was more resource intensive than I cared for.

I think mine is a 3rd print (possible is second - was a long time ago), which I specifically chose because they dropped the subtitle from the front. That definitely has a different spine in that the splitting of the words onto two lines on the spine is different and the logo is a tiny but smaller.

With regards to purple UT, I have one in the UK and one in NZ for maximum failover.
9 Nov, 2021
2021-11-9 8:59:17 PM UTC
The sun never sets over Stu's flexing on Tolkien nerds.
9 Nov, 2021
2021-11-9 9:02:19 PM UTC

Caudimordax wrote:

Emilien - Thanks man, you were there for the hunt! I call it "catharsis in book form". Definitely something I'd try to rescue were the house to catch fire!

Mr. Underhill - I was so happy they all fit together on this shelf! When the Index came in yesterday, I was genuinely worried the setup wouldn't work next to VT. I might, perhaps, reconsider when I get my hands on The Great Tales Never End, Tolkien's Legendarium, and Tolkien and His Literary Resonances. Or, I'll just build a bigger shelf!

Stu - First print, and it's funny you should ask. I suspect that some of the 2nd impressions have different spine designs, smaller HC logos, etc. But, doing conclusive research any way beyond just buying copies for comparison was more resource intensive than I cared for.

I have Tolkien's Legendarium, it doesn't have a jacket. It's got navy boards with a sort of silver text on the spine. I think it would look good wit those volumes.
10 Nov, 2021
2021-11-10 12:25:09 AM UTC
Mr. Underhill - Is TL much taller than the HoME volumes? Resonances is put out by the same publisher and is of a similar form factor, FYI.

Stu - Is the logo on your 3rd of the small or big variety?
10 Nov, 2021
2021-11-10 1:14:38 AM UTC

Caudimordax wrote:

Mr. Underhill - Is TL much taller than the HoME volumes? Resonances is put out by the same publisher and is of a similar form factor, FYI.

it is in a box currently, but Tolkienbooks.net only lists a 2nd, so I suspect it was a 2nd, not 3rd (just my memory failing me). Whichever it is, the logo is the smaller one. This is the picture from when we were discussing these a while back (so the correct impression is probably in that discussion somewhere).

It is this edition:
http://tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=978

228_618b1cfeb1a3f.jpg 3361X2783 px
10 Nov, 2021
2021-11-10 3:15:07 AM UTC

Caudimordax wrote:

Here’s an older photo I have of it, as I have actually sent the book off recently to be autographed. It’s close if not the same size as the HoME volumes.

5058_618b37bf4a606.jpeg 1125X1500 px
19 Nov, 2021
2021-11-19 12:22:52 AM UTC
This probably is not the best place for this, but noticed it was on the front page.

I know about the print on demand versions, but are those only available to ship in the UK?

I tried to order to ship to Texas but it didn’t work out.

I’m looking to get an affordable reading copies of the set, and not the 3 volume edition.
19 Nov, 2021
2021-11-19 12:32:13 AM UTC

Falkor wrote:

This probably is not the best place for this, but noticed it was on the front page.

I know about the print on demand versions, but are those only available to ship in the UK?

Tolkienshop.co.uk offers free shipping to the UK and paid international shipping. Can you clarify what you mean by it not working out for you? I recently ordered the POD HoME index to ship to the US and didn't have a problem placing an order.
19 Nov, 2021
2021-11-19 12:41:31 AM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Falkor wrote:

Tolkienshop.co.uk offers free shipping to the UK and paid international shipping. Can you clarify what you mean by it not working out for you? I recently ordered the POD HoME index to ship to the US and didn't have a problem placing an order.

There must have been issues with the site when I checked last week. I forget which book I was on and put in my address and it said they could not ship.

And now I’m checking and several books have a 404 error
19 Nov, 2021
2021-11-19 12:46:49 AM UTC

Falkor wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Falkor wrote:

There must have been issues with the site when I checked last week. I forget which book I was on and put in my address and it said they could not ship.

And now I’m checking and several books have a 404 error

The site has been broken for ages with regards to ordering HoME PODs. You would be better just phoning them. They used to give a discount for big orders of these, for which you would need to phone them anyway.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us