Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

11 Jul, 2021
2021-7-11 8:41:59 AM UTC
I have just now put in a pre-order for Morgoth's Ring (US Amazon – for reasons, the logic of which unfailingly escapes me, I need to use US Amazon for Kindle purchases because I am located in Denmark).

It is listed to be published on 19 August.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0979X5518/? ... collsguid-20&linkCode=osi
11 Jul, 2021
2021-7-11 8:47:15 AM UTC

Troels Forchhammer wrote:

I have just now put in a pre-order for Morgoth's Ring (US Amazon – for reasons, the logic of which unfailingly escapes me, I need to use US Amazon for Kindle purchases because I am located in Denmark).

That is strange as you appear to be buying the UK version from Amazon.com instead of Amazon.co.uk. Geo-fencing is very silly,
11 Jul, 2021
2021-7-11 10:48:31 AM UTC

Troels Forchhammer wrote:

That is so weird. You are literally a hop and skip from the German Amazon.

You can set your address to any other country and then shop in that countries Amazon store for Kindle so if you would prefer to use German Amazon for Kindle, set an address and it will think you are in Germany, no geo tracking on Kindles for shopping.
28 Aug, 2021
2021-8-28 5:01:04 PM UTC
The War of the Ring
ASIN : B09CTBYX2B
Publisher : Mariner Books (7 September 2021)
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
28 Aug, 2021
2021-8-28 5:01:14 PM UTC
Sauron Defeated
ASIN : B09DFFWLSB
Publisher : Mariner Books (14 September 2021)
6 Dec, 2021 (edited)
2021-12-6 7:39:20 AM UTC
I note an error in HC's Sauron Defeated. In 3 (vi), Section on Adunaic consonants:

At the same time the combinations PPh, TTh, KKh became the ‘affricates’ PF, TÞ, KX, and then the long or double spirants FF, PP, XX.

In the paper version it's ÞÞ, which fits the context.

The kindle versions always have such errors. Earlier kindle versions of LOTR render ŋ as n, till someone noted it and changed it to η

Update: actually the kindle version of this chapter probably has more than 100 typos.
6 Dec, 2021
2021-12-6 8:18:50 AM UTC
The War of the Jewels
ASIN : ‎ B005IH036Q
Publisher : HarperCollins (7 January 2022)
The War of the Jewels (The History of Middle-earth, Book 11)
Tolkien, Christopher
B005IH036Q
(Kindle Edition)
£5.49
Availability: Now
15 Jun, 2022
2022-6-15 4:35:39 AM UTC
It appears that a Kindle edition of vol 12 ("Peoples of Middle Earth") is available nowhere.

But Kindle editions of vol 10 ("Morthoth's Ring") and 11 ("War of the Jewels") are available internationally, just not in the USA. I don't have the words to describe how cryptic (and annoying, to be honest) I find this.

Anyone have any idea why the USA release of these titles generally lags 6+ months or more behind international availability? Anyone have any idea when vols 10/11 are due out for Kindle/USA? Does anyone have any idea when "People's of Middle Earth" will be available on Kindle, anywhere?

Trying to read the tea leaves here... for instance, the Kindle publication date in the UK for vol 1 ("Book of Lost Tales", Part One") is given as February 2011, and in the USA as February 2012, with different publishers. The other volumes are similarly skewed (dates and publishers, both at variance). I am assuming this is just the usual "distribution rights" schizophrenia... the Tolkien estate selling print and electronic publication rights to the highest bidder in each market. Mere consumers (you, me, et al) are effectively helpless, and at any given point in time even the publishers themselves may not "know" when they will be going to market with a particular title.

Anyway, if anyone can share a clue, I would be appreciative. As it stands, I don't even know which publisher to contact (Harper Collins, William Morrow, Mariner, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt?... if I had to guess, it would be Mariner for Kindle/USA... they seem to have produced the Kindle editions for vols 6/7/8/9, with a lag on the order of 6 months after Harper Collins released the equivalent Kindle/UK editions... though of course it has been more like 10 months since Harper Collins released vol 10 for Kindle/UK, so there may in fact be no Kindle/USA publisher at the moment).

Thanks.
15 Jun, 2022
2022-6-15 5:12:36 AM UTC
Mariner/William Morrow are all the same publisher at this point and HMH is basically a different company (HarperCollins didn't buy that imprint). All highly confusing - but I imagine if you contact Mariner or William Morrow they would likely be able to help you with regards to when things might become available. tbh, even HarperCollins might be worth a shot. I can't imagine Peoples wouldn't get a Kindle release in the US.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us