Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

18 Dec, 2021
2021-12-18 10:36:34 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

I genuinely can't imagine Tolkien's opinions (on anything) remotely influencing my own. I flat out disagree with almost his entire belief system! I mean, I love his fiction, but beyond that, meh...

You've radically misinterpreted the point and purpose of my post, which was really a sly reference to The Nature of Middle-earth, and not in any way at all meant to "influence" anyone, least of all you. But thanks for sharing, I guess?
18 Dec, 2021
2021-12-18 10:58:20 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

What about 10,001 times the going rate?

I can totally relate to having possessions that are not especially fine items in and of themselves, but the sentimental value can be tremendous. The item is just a vessel to carry the memories and associations.

My evil plan worked, I have Stu bartering for my awful books

These designs really are a strangely sought after thing.
18 Dec, 2021
2021-12-18 2:16:38 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Stu wrote:

I can totally relate to having possessions that are not especially fine items in and of themselves, but the sentimental value can be tremendous. The item is just a vessel to carry the memories and associations.

I have them, got them for a really good price, but wasn't really looking at the time. I certainly wouldn't pay what I see many of the sets going for on the 2nd hand market today. I really don't see what all the fuss is...the cover art is cool but only mildly so.
18 Dec, 2021
2021-12-18 5:52:15 PM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

Stu wrote:

I genuinely can't imagine Tolkien's opinions (on anything) remotely influencing my own. I flat out disagree with almost his entire belief system! I mean, I love his fiction, but beyond that, meh...

You've radically misinterpreted the point and purpose of my post, which was really a sly reference to The Nature of Middle-earth, and not in any way at all meant to "influence" anyone, least of all you. But thanks for sharing, I guess?

Sure, but I didn't say I thought your post was trying to influence me... You've "radically misinterpreted the point and purpose of my post", which was that our opinions on every day things don't have to be related to Tolkien's opinions on such matters.
18 Dec, 2021
2021-12-18 6:05:52 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Stu wrote:

I have no idea why they seem to be so popular. The spine design is quite neat, but beyond that they don't seem to have that much to offer, being very basic editions. Each to their own, I suppose.
18 Dec, 2021
2021-12-18 8:50:11 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

Stu wrote:

I have no idea why they seem to be so popular. The spine design is quite neat, but beyond that they don't seem to have that much to offer, being very basic editions. Each to their own, I suppose.

And not forgetting that they feel terrible in the hands. Still waiting for your cheque for the books though Stu. 10001 times the going rate I think we agreed.
19 Dec, 2021
2021-12-19 12:01:36 AM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

I seem to recall that Tolkien himself had something to say about sentimental value, somewhere in a recent book....

To which section in Nature are you referring Aelfwine ? I'd like to read it
19 Dec, 2021
2021-12-19 12:07:32 AM UTC
I was about to ask the same as Mr. Underhill, and to drop a gentle reminder to be civil to each other (hard stare at Stu this time) - It seemed pretty obvious to me that Aelfwine was just dropping a hint about Nature.
19 Dec, 2021
2021-12-19 1:05:58 AM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Aelfwine wrote:

I seem to recall that Tolkien himself had something to say about sentimental value, somewhere in a recent book....

To which section in Nature are you referring Aelfwine ? I'd like to read it

Thanks for asking! I was specifically thinking about the two paragraphs at NoMe p. 254, beginning with: "Even so, one might go on a journey...". Here Tolkien draws a hard distinction between things that are in every way an exact duplicate in form, and those associated with a loved person:

"Alas! it might well chance that the [in every physical aspect rebuilt] house, or something within it, had for him a value not residing in itself or its fashion, but attributed to it by him, the owner: as being, for instance, the gift of one whom he loved. With the counterfeit (that is, the exact copy) he might then not be wholly content, saying “this is not the same thing as the one that is lost”. But this would be because he loved the history of the thing, rather than any other quality it had possessed, and because that history was connected with a loved person he attributed to it part of that love. This is part of the mystery of love, and of the singling out by love of one thing alone in its oneness and history unique, which is of the nature of the Incarnate."

So I was in fact, as I hope you will see, in referencing Tolkien affirming what Stu said regarding sentimental value:

Stu wrote:

I can totally relate to having possessions that are not especially fine items in and of themselves, but the sentimental value can be tremendous.
20 Dec, 2021
2021-12-20 11:11:58 PM UTC
Back on sale. I hesitated ... the set is interesting and attractive but (for me) the price deserves its place in the "wonders of ..." category
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: thelotterywinner
(858)
Ended Dec 25, 2021
This item ended more than 90 days ago
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us