Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Question regarding signature & limitation numbers in The Hobbit Sketchbook

18 Jan, 2022 (edited)
2022-1-18 10:53:33 AM UTC

Hello all, this is my first post on the forum. I recently purchased two copies of The Hobbit/LOTR sketchbook Deluxe edition signed by Alan Lee and the limitation number in both is a bit strange. One looks to be "uu" and the other appears to be "NN". Does anyone have an idea what they could be? I thought maybe it could be excess copies in the event of some orders arriving damaged, but just wanted to see if anyone has a better insight. Thank you all!

5405_61e69bd80f983.jpg 3024X4032 px

5405_61e69be83cffa.jpg 4032X3024 px
18 Jan, 2022
2022-1-18 4:37:52 PM UTC
I've seen similar situations with other books (different illustrators and publishers) over the years, with different reasons given. I haven't heard anything specific about this edition, so I don't feel confident giving any particular reason.
18 Jan, 2022
2022-1-18 5:18:14 PM UTC
Some limited editions have, in addition to the numbered copies, also a small number of lettered copies (usually A-Z). Something like that might be what's going on here.
18 Jan, 2022
2022-1-18 7:15:10 PM UTC
That’s interesting and something I’ve not seen before. But I can’t help I’m afraid as mine is a numbered copy.
18 Jan, 2022
2022-1-18 7:37:07 PM UTC
I'd guess either "A-Z" as Aelfwine mentioned (I've seen this before on books and records), or these are pre-production/approval copies without normal numbers. Sometimes something gets written in the number space to stop a number being written in later and sometimes they do simply get left blank (e.g. SuperDeluxe CoH).

Anybody's guess without asking Alan, I suspect.
18 Jan, 2022
2022-1-18 8:15:53 PM UTC
When I edited (actually wrote) A Tolkien Tapestry I received some copies of the limited signed edition and my copies were numbered with "PC" (so my name) and I saw Cor Blok also received one with the letters "CB", perhaps some other people did receive some. In all we did sign much more limitation papers than there were books bound, so I guess several copies are always reserved. If this is going on here I don't know... but it just proofs that things like this happen.
18 Jan, 2022
2022-1-18 8:50:58 PM UTC
I've also seen PC used (instead of a number) for "Presentation Copies" - Beren gets the added bonus of having both meanings ?

I don't think Alan Lee wrote the numbers on the number line in this case, but could be wrong - it is not usually the case. As Beren mentioned, the pages are signed separately before the binding process in most cases, and then after quality control is done on the bound books someone goes in and numbers them - any leftover copies after this process might get something else written on the number line (as Stu mentions - to prevent someone from putting in a number and confusing the limitation run).

I've asked a few questions around, but really don't expect to learn much new, but who knows.
18 Jan, 2022
2022-1-18 9:45:47 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

I've also seen PC used (instead of a number) for "Presentation Copies" - Beren gets the added bonus of having both meanings ?

I don't think Alan Lee wrote the numbers on the number line in this case, but could be wrong - it is not usually the case. As Beren mentioned, the pages are signed separately before the binding process in most cases, and then after quality control is done on the bound books someone goes in and numbers them - any leftover copies after this process might get something else written on the number line (as Stu mentions - to prevent someone from putting in a number and confusing the limitation run).

I've asked a few questions around, but really don't expect to learn much new, but who knows.

Those look like Alan's writing to me.
18 Jan, 2022
2022-1-18 10:33:57 PM UTC
Thank you everyone for looking into this and sharing your thoughts, it's much appreciated.
18 Jan, 2022
2022-1-18 10:38:15 PM UTC

hoardoftherings wrote:

Thank you everyone for looking into this and sharing your thoughts, it's much appreciated.

Enjoy the fact you have copies that are different. That's pretty much always a good thing!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us