2022-2-15 6:27:17 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Trotter wrote:

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: onwolfe123
(2005)
Ended Feb 14, 2022
This item ended more than 90 days ago

Well, that came and went...someone got a truly rare item there.

Wow, what a deal.
15 Feb, 2022
2022-2-15 7:29:11 PM UTC
It was opening bid £300. But that was changed to Buy-It-Now yesterday; presumably after the seller was approached to change it. Not really much of a book.
15 Feb, 2022
2022-2-15 7:38:35 PM UTC
It was an opening bid of 40 but then went to buy now
Good buy I say
15 Feb, 2022
2022-2-15 8:16:18 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

Not really much of a book.

I'd pay $400 for almost any book from Tolkien's library that had his name in it. Seems like a good deal--especially with the current selling prices for Tolkien books.
15 Feb, 2022
2022-2-15 8:29:55 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

It was opening bid £300. But that was changed to Buy-It-Now yesterday; presumably after the seller was approached to change it. Not really much of a book.

This feels like a pretty niche item, tbh. Not for me - the material would have to interest me, rather than just owning something Tolkien owned.
15 Feb, 2022
2022-2-15 9:19:08 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Khamûl wrote:

This feels like a pretty niche item, tbh. Not for me - the material would have to interest me, rather than just owning something Tolkien owned.

Well, if I had to guess, I’d say this would have sold for more than it ended up going for if the auction had not ended with a BIN. You’d be hard pressed to find any item with Tolkien’s signature or initials for this price. Certainly not a super desirable book, but I’m not sure most of the books from Tolkien’s libraries are that interesting to the average reader.
15 Feb, 2022
2022-2-15 9:56:17 PM UTC

Jlong wrote:

Stu wrote:

Khamûl wrote:

Well, if I had to guess, I’d say this would have sold for more than it ended up going for if the auction had not ended with a BIN. You’d be hard pressed to find any item with Tolkien’s signature or initials for this price. Certainly not a super desirable book, but I’m not sure most of the books from Tolkien’s libraries are that interesting to the average reader.

Sure, I don't think the price was high. You are paying for Tolkien's initials on this, basically.
16 Feb, 2022
2022-2-16 12:32:31 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Jlong wrote:

Stu wrote:

Khamûl wrote:

Sure, I don't think the price was high. You are paying for Tolkien's initials on this, basically.

I think we are talking about initials but also about a personal object and this adds a value that goes beyond a simple signature in a book for someone else...
16 Feb, 2022
2022-2-16 2:27:32 AM UTC

ShadowFx wrote:

Stu wrote:

Jlong wrote:

Stu wrote:

Khamûl wrote:

I think we are talking about initials but also about a personal object and this adds a value that goes beyond a simple signature in a book for someone else...

Depends on the buyer, I guess. It all gets a bit "hero worshippy" for me when it gets into the owning something person X owned, *purely* because they owned it (despite the "thing" arguably being of limited interest on its own merit), but I can certainly see the appeal, even if I don't entirely share it myself. I think the buyer got a decent deal, but I'd take a signed work (for someone else) where the work itself interested me -- any day of the week.
16 Feb, 2022
2022-2-16 8:36:53 PM UTC
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: barnardos_charity
(65478)
Ended Feb 23, 2022
This item ended more than 90 days ago
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us