-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

By Stu
Home away from home

The Silmarillion Illustrated by Tolkien

23 Mar, 2022 (edited)
2022-3-23 3:40:02 AM UTC

Trade Hardback RRP £45

The Silmarillion illustrated by J.R.R. Tolkien, November 8 2022 US, 10 November 2022 UK

2022 Silmarillion.jpg
SilmDeluxe.jpg

For the first time ever, a very special edition of the forerunner to The Lord of the Rings, illustrated throughout in colour by J.R.R. Tolkien himself and with the complete text printed in two colours.

The Silmarilli were three perfect jewels, fashioned by Fëanor, most gifted of the Elves, and within them was imprisoned the last Light of the Two Trees of Valinor. But the first Dark Lord, Morgoth, stole the jewels and set them within his iron crown, guarded in the impenetrable fortress of Angband in the north of Middle-earth.

The Silmarillion is the history of the rebellion of Fëanor and his kindred against the gods, their exile from Valinor and return to Middle-earth, and their war, hopeless despite all the heroism, against the great Enemy. It is the ancient drama to which the characters in The Lord of the Rings look back, and in whose events some of them such as Elrond and Galadriel took part.

The book also includes several shorter works: the Ainulindalë, a myth of the Creation, and the Valaquenta, in which the nature and powers of each of the gods is described. The Akallabêth recounts the downfall of the great island kingdom of Númenor at the end of the Second Age, and Of the Rings of Power tells of the great events at the end of the Third Age, as narrated in The Lord of the Rings.

Tolkien could not publish The Silmarillion in his lifetime, as it grew with him, so he would leave it to his son, Christopher Tolkien, to edit the work from many manuscripts and bring his father’s great vision to publishable form, so completing the literary achievement of a lifetime. This special edition presents anew this seminal first step towards mapping out the posthumous publishing of Middle-earth, and the beginning of an illustrious forty years and more than twenty books celebrating his father’s legacy.

This definitive new edition includes, by way of an introduction, a letter written by Tolkien in 1951 which provides a brilliant exposition of the earlier Ages, and for the first time in its history is presented with J.R.R. Tolkien’s own paintings and drawings, which reveal the breathtaking grandeur and beauty of his vision of the First Age of Middle-earth.

UK Deluxe RRP £125

11-3(3).jpg
11-3(1).jpg

This deluxe slipcased edition contains the complete text, which is printed in two colours and features, for the very first time, more than 50 colour paintings, illustrations and designs drawn by J.R.R. Tolkien himself as he composed this epic work.

Unique to this edition are two poster-size, fold-out maps revealing all the detail of Beleriand as the tales grew, an illustrated booklet featuring ‘A Brief Account of The Silmarillion and its Making’ by Christopher Tolkien, and a printed art card reproducing ‘Taniquetil’.

It is additionally quarterbound in blue leather, with raised ribs on the spine, stamped in three foils on black cloth boards, and housed in a custom-built clothbound slipcase. The pages are edged in silver and include a ribbon marker.

Publisher ‏ : ‎ HarperCollins; Illustrated Deluxe edition (10 Nov. 2022)
Language ‏ : ‎ English
Hardcover ‏ : ‎ 480 pages
ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 0008537909
ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-0008537906
Dimensions ‏ : ‎ 14.9 x 3.3 x 22.8 cm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0008537909 ... 1&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated

The Silmarillion: Deluxe (UK, Illustrated, HB)

HarperCollins (2022-11-10)

£125.00 HarperCollins (Hardback) - Availability: Click to check
$131.80 Blackwell's (hardback) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 7 days
$116.38 Amazon.com (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
£73.18 Amazon.co.uk (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
€113.67 Amazon.de (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
£101.04 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check

US Deluxe RRP $195

For the first time ever, a very special edition of the forerunner to The Lord of the Rings, illustrated throughout in color by J.R.R. Tolkien himself and with the complete text printed in two colors.

A deluxe slipcased edition of the Silmarillion Illustrated edition – the first volume to include J.R.R. Tolkien’s own illustrations – this edition is a beautiful keepsake for ardent fans and collectors.

The Silmarilli were three perfect jewels, fashioned by Fëanor, most gifted of the Elves, and within them was imprisoned the last Light of the Two Trees of Valinor. But the first Dark Lord, Morgoth, stole the jewels and set them within his iron crown, guarded in the impenetrable fortress of Angband in the north of Middle-earth.

The Silmarillion is the history of the rebellion of Fëanor and his kindred against the gods, their exile from Valinor and return to Middle-earth, and their war, hopeless despite all the heroism, against the great Enemy. It is the ancient drama to which the characters in The Lord of the Rings look back, and in whose events some of them such as Elrond and Galadriel took part.

The book also includes several shorter works: the Ainulindalë, a myth of the Creation, and the Valaquenta, in which the nature and powers of each of the gods is described. The Alkallb?th recounts the downfall of the great island kingdom of Númenor at the end of the Second Age, and Of the Rings of Power tells of the great events at the end of the Third Age, as narrated in The Lord of the Rings.

Tolkien could not publish The Silmarillion in his lifetime, as it grew with him, so he would leave it to his son, Christopher Tolkien, to edit the work from many manuscripts and bring his father’s great vision to publishable form, so completing the literary achievement of a lifetime. This special edition presents anew this seminal first step towards mapping out the posthumous publishing of Middle-earth, and the beginning of an illustrious forty years and more than twenty books celebrating his father’s legacy.

This definitive new edition includes, by way of an introduction, a letter written by Tolkien in 1951 which provides a brilliant exposition of the earlier Ages, and for the first time in its history is presented with J.R.R. Tolkien’s own paintings and drawings, which reveal the breathtaking grandeur and beauty of his vision of the First Age of Middle-earth.

Publisher ‏ : ‎ William Morrow; Illustrated Deluxe edition (October 3, 2023)
Hardcover ‏ : ‎ 448 pages
ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-0063340541

https://www.amazon.com/Silmarillion-Sp ... collsguid-20&linkCode=osi

The Silmarillion: Deluxe Edition (US, Illustrated, HB)

William Morrow (2023-10-03)

$168.97 Blackwell's (hardback) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 72 hours
$154.98 Biblio (Hardback) - Availability: Click to check
$123.99 Amazon.com (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
£131.78 Amazon.co.uk (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
€134.42 Amazon.de (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
$122.38 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
$129.47 eBay US - Availability: Click to check

UK Trade

Publisher ‏ : ‎ HarperCollins; Illustrated edition (10 Nov. 2022)
Hardcover ‏ : ‎ 480 pages
ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 0008537895
ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-0008537890
Dimensions ‏ : ‎ 14.9 x 3.3 x 22.8 cm
Illustrations note: 5 b/w illus, 49 col plates

https://www.bookdepository.com/Silmari ... &qid=1647997556039&sr=1-4

The Silmarillion: HB (UK)

HarperCollins (2022-11-10)

£45.00 HarperCollins (Hardback) - Availability: Click to check
$42.03 Blackwell's (hardback) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 7 days
$34.89 Amazon.com (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
£28.49 Amazon.co.uk (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
€38.99 Amazon.de (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
£26.00 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
£18.30 eBay UK - Availability: Click to check

US Trade

Publisher ‏ : ‎ William Morrow (8 Nov. 2022)
Hardcover ‏ : ‎ 432 pages
ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 0063280779
ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-0063280779

The Silmarillion: HB (US)

William Morrow (2022-11-08)

$61.88 Blackwell's (hardback) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 72 hours
$35.99 Amazon.com (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
£104.00 Amazon.co.uk (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
€42.99 Amazon.de (Kindle Ausgabe) - Availability: Now
$49.71 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
$33.65 eBay US - Availability: Click to check

Matching Books in the Illustrated by the Author series

23 Mar, 2022
2022-3-23 6:02:14 AM UTC

zionius wrote:

The info says "5 b/w illus, 49 col plates", did Tolkien have that many arts for Silmarillion? I think the number of published arts is less than thirty, you need to count each heraldric device as one to reach 50+. Or maybe they'd include some unpublished ones or manuscripts.

Stu wrote:

Yeah, I have a bad feeling about this. HarperCollins need to learn that less is more. The recent LoTR would have been much better with 2/3rds of the illustrations. Not everything Tolkien sketched was good enough for inclusion as illustrations in a mainstream edition. The question that needs to be asked is "does this sketch add value to the experience of reading story or does it take me out of the story?". A lot of stuff in the LoTR was better placed in the books where it had already been published.
23 Mar, 2022
2022-3-23 6:06:16 AM UTC
Wonder if they will do a Deluxe edition so soon after the excellent Ted Nasmith illustrated edition.
23 Mar, 2022
2022-3-23 6:11:47 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Wonder if they will do a Deluxe edition so soon after the excellent Ted Nasmith illustrated edition.

Would not be surprised to see something along the lines of the recent red LoTR. Though with a lower page count and slimmer form-factor, they could probably make it work a lot better that that one.
23 Mar, 2022
2022-3-23 7:10:15 AM UTC
I can see them also releasing something like this, though I hope not, I prefer the original cover.

10_623ac787bc7f2.jpg 671X923 px
23 Mar, 2022
2022-3-23 7:12:26 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

I can see them also releasing something like this, though I hope not, I prefer the original cover.

Gosh, I really hope not!
23 Mar, 2022 (edited)
2022-3-23 7:46:57 AM UTC
Great news !
23 Mar, 2022
2022-3-23 8:29:26 AM UTC
I hope they remember to change the runes for "Allen and Unwin LTD" on the cover when it comes to The Hobbit

5215_623ada0b8a097.png 773X1062 px
23 Mar, 2022
2022-3-23 8:56:39 AM UTC
Stop giving HarperCollins ideas. They already have more than enough bad ideas!
23 Mar, 2022
2022-3-23 12:29:01 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Oh no, HarperCollins better not deface the greatest dust jacket of all time.

This release puzzles me, seems like overkill, a money grab, with the release of the Nasmith edition just last year...I'll probably buy it though.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us