Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

5 Apr, 2022
2022-4-5 2:04:36 PM UTC
As usual, Dogfark ?...He still hasn t received the book so...I would like to ask him some "new" Pictures of the book ?
5 Apr, 2022
2022-4-5 2:49:46 PM UTC

ShadowFx wrote:

As usual, Dogfark ?...He still hasn t received the book so...I would like to ask him some "new" Pictures of the book ?

He's capable to send you pictures from another copy he has ... Ok, not for this OP very scarce harback version I must admit...
Another thing is that book has some mould on the backside : this was pictured by the previous seller... strangely, these pics has not been used by Dogfark...
5 Apr, 2022
2022-4-5 4:28:36 PM UTC

Emilien wrote:

ShadowFx wrote:

He's capable to send you pictures from another copy he has ... Ok, not for this OP very scarce harback version I must admit...
Another thing is that book has some mould on the backside : this was pictured by the previous seller... strangely, these pics has not been used by Dogfark...

Indeed, he sent me photos (of the book previously sold) and failed to show me the stains on the back cover...Well...?
6 Apr, 2022
2022-4-6 2:15:21 PM UTC
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: dogfark
(2485)
Ended Dec 13, 2022
This item ended more than 90 days ago

And again £355 to over a £1k
7 Apr, 2022
2022-4-7 12:19:44 PM UTC
I would like to take this opportunity to remind all members that this thread is designed to just present factual evidence of book listing price differences with little or no commentary on them. Also this a public forum where all online can see what is being said.

This thread is to capture where the same book is rapidly resold on eBay or similar. This practice of "flipping" can create quite a distorted view of the market when books are uncommon, and it is good to create a record so people don't just see the book being on eBay long-term, but also see the price paid by the flipper under real auction conditions (usually).

Let's keep this thread factual and not too much commentary.
7 Apr, 2022
2022-4-7 1:46:08 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

I would like to take this opportunity to remind all members that this thread is designed to just present factual evidence of book listing price differences with little or no commentary on them. Also this a public forum where all online can see what is being said.

This thread is to capture where the same book is rapidly resold on eBay or similar. This practice of "flipping" can create quite a distorted view of the market when books are uncommon, and it is good to create a record so people don't just see the book being on eBay long-term, but also see the price paid by the flipper under real auction conditions (usually).

Let's keep this thread factual and not too much commentary.

I don’t see what’s so wrong with commentary, especially because this a public forum. If group members here have opinions about a person’s business practices, that can be highly useful information. For example, if it was just dogfark’s listing with a statement of fact, “here is what dogfark’s listing is,” one would have to extrapolate the unusual nature and consistent pattern of dogfark’s business practices. The commentary helps the reader digest and navigate all this and potentially be on guard against such things (i.e., directly related to the stated aim of this thread: to help avoid a “distorted view of the market”).

Moreover, it seems to me that most comments have been objective, or in response to things that are objectively true in a way that is generally productive (or not unproductive). That is, no post that I’ve seen (maybe some have been filtered out) has presented wild or unreasonable speculation, or called some seller an expletive or something. I see no problem necessarily with people voicing their emotional responses to this kind of topic, and I don’t think one has to be neutral in order to be objective.

Perhaps you could be more specific about what sort of comments are deemed inappropriate. What should be off limits on this thread/public forum? I of course have no stakes here because I haven’t commented in this thread until now, but I for one enjoy—and feel that I benefit from—the informed views expressed here, with all their character, and would not want to see them suppressed. If this thread really is meant to essentially be a list of listings, then perhaps there should be another thread for people to express themselves more fully in?

(Sorry for breaking your rule immediately with this very long comment.)
7 Apr, 2022
2022-4-7 2:13:21 PM UTC
This site has in the past received threats of lawsuits for defamation, and demands for the contact information (names, addresses) of people who have posted comments concerning a specific book seller.

You might feel your commentary is safe, objective and reasonable (and it may well be considered so by a judge/jury someday) but the person being commented on does not. Easier to just stick to bare bones facts in this forum, please!
10 Apr, 2022
2022-4-10 9:57:07 AM UTC
Here it is another one:

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=37677#forumpost37677

I was offered this book at 999€ by the seller but didn't trust him cause it was the second time in a month he put it on the market and he had negative feedbacks on both his accounts. But today...

https://www.tolkienbookshelf.com/pages ... lion-signed-deluxe-ltd-ed

Same book out at 3325$.

Needless to say, I'm cursing myself for missing the chance.
10 Apr, 2022
2022-4-10 10:20:24 AM UTC

Max wrote:

Here it is another one:

I was offered this book at 999€ by the seller but didn't trust him cause it was the second time in a month he put it on the market and he had negative feedbacks on both his accounts. But today...

Same book out at 3325$.

That's a somewhat grubby copy when you look closely at the cloth. You can do better. It is definitely not "As new".
10 Apr, 2022
2022-4-10 10:46:03 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Max wrote:

Here it is another one:

Same book out at 3325$.

That's a somewhat grubby copy when you look closely at the cloth. You can do better. It is definitely not "As new".

Sure, I guess I could buy one of your "as new" copy as soon as you decide to sell me one.

Jokes aside, I think for 999€ it was worth it (especially being a rare copy in continental Europe and not having to pay customs duties).
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us