Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

How to steer the market: the case of the LOTR FS LE dealers

25 Apr, 2022
2022-4-25 2:48:00 PM UTC

In the collectors' market (and not only) there are some really strange phenomena happening about how to legitimise the price (and indirectly the profit you want). We might even call them stratagems.

I will not draw any kind of conclusion (given the modrators' warning I received in the previous comment in the post " Dealers flipping books...").

Disclaimer: all information in the photos I posted is public through and available through ebay.co.uk.

The first strange phenomenon I observed after the limited edition Folio Socity sold out, which I remind everyone happened on the night of 22/04, was the posting of an ad containing the same book even before it was actually sold out.
In this way, this seller set an indicative resale price for himself and for other sellers (and thus for the domestic market) which, if no one had adopted this stratagem, would have had a lower price.
In fact, it was on the basis of this seller's price of £1,800 that most of the other advertisements (found in the post "Dealers flipping books..." and "Folio Society Alan Lee Lord of the Rings Limited Edition") were published.
Reference to the first image.

Another strange phenomenon concerns the publication of one ad, a three-day auction.
That auction ended for £1,700. The increase in value is almost double in just a couple of days, from £1,000 to £1,700. He probably relied on the previous seller's price of £1,800.
It is strange to see this increase, especially as at the same time there were at least 4 others at a value of between £1,400 and £1,600. It is also strange to see how this price is determined by two bidders, one of whom has 0 receptions. Even more strange is to see how that book is still for sale at the same dealer.
It will be for the third party to analyse the sales and therefore the average sales prices (Alright I'll shut up!)
Reference from the second to the fifth image .

I have temporarily deleted the sellers' names while waiting for your feedback and that of the moderators.

5414_6266b0d596eb6.jpg 1468X298 px

5414_6266b1e481251.jpg 1507X314 px

5414_6266b1ea5a0c3.png 1333X937 px

5414_6266b1f363c84.jpg 1484X672 px
25 Apr, 2022
2022-4-25 2:57:24 PM UTC
This is how dealers sell books and have always sold books, which is at a profit. If they don't do this then they would not stay in business as a dealer.
25 Apr, 2022
2022-4-25 3:05:08 PM UTC
I wouldn't say steering the market as much as I would say trying to maximize profit, which is the point of being in business for anything. Dealers don't steer the market for goods (second hand or otherwise) buyers steer market with their demand. The asking price is not nearly as important for tracking the market as the sales price, which ebay gives spotty info on some of the time.

So, I would be wary of making declarative statements like this as to who is doing what and who is paying attention to whom, as we are really only a few days into the second hand market on this particular book.
25 Apr, 2022
2022-4-25 7:54:59 PM UTC
Don't know whether it is happening here (haven't looked at the details posted), but some dealers deliberately falsifying eBay sales to manipulate the market is a very real thing that I have noted on many occasions.

There are a few dealers that do it quite a bit. Book comes for sale, appears to get a high price. Same book is then resold by same dealer shortly after. The pattern is fairly clear.

Also, shill bidding is completely rife on eBay, so some of these sales are simply shilled sales where the seller ended up the winner.

Big difference between "a thing being implicity obvious" and proving a thing, though.
25 Apr, 2022 (edited)
2022-4-25 7:59:25 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

This is how dealers sell books and have always sold books, which is at a profit. If they don't do this then they would not stay in business as a dealer.

Nah, engaging in shilling and retractions (if this is the case here) is not OK or ethical business as usual (in fact it is illegal in most jurisdictions). The problem is proving it, though if there is a pattern with the same seller I certainly make my own judgements about them.

(Edit: Worth saying that sometimes a bid retraction is just a bad buyer and nothing to do with the seller, so one example for a given seller doesn't mean a lot. It is all about the patterns with that seller).
25 Apr, 2022 (edited)
2022-4-25 8:55:49 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Also, shill bidding is completely rife on eBay, so some of these sales are simply shilled sales where the seller ended up the winner.

Big difference between "a thing being implicity obvious" and proving a thing, though.

Do agree with this, shill bidding happens somewhat with items on the higher end, this distorts the market even further.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us