Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

27 Apr, 2022
2022-4-27 8:50:16 AM UTC
Haven't found time to watch the video yet, just a very short abstract. This is very cool to see you for real guys, talking about our common hobby. This is a great idea, thank you !
27 Apr, 2022
2022-4-27 9:12:01 AM UTC
Thanks for the podcast, was a nice listen!
27 Apr, 2022
2022-4-27 9:13:26 AM UTC
Many thanks for the video. Enjoyed. Think that was the first (what might be termed a) podcast I have ever watched.
27 Apr, 2022
2022-4-27 9:52:19 AM UTC
Great talk guys, thank you.

I really like Jeremy's idea of multiple artists. That would be cool and likewise the closest a book edition may get to my own image of Middle-earth. My personal most wanted edition of Rings currently would be a Jemima Catlin edition. I believe she is perfect for it and is willing too, she is very keen. It seem sthe Jemima train has left now thoiugh, sadly, and other new artists are getting some exposure (which is great of course).

As for an ultimate edition I honestly have no preference as I am more about text collecting than book collecting. I leave the fancy editions to those of you who know more than I on that
27 Apr, 2022
2022-4-27 1:54:25 PM UTC
I would like to react regarding one of the points you've made in the discussion, especially the fact that the Folio society *might* assume to produce super-deluxe editions, as HC seems not producing anymore for a while.
In the discussion, you were *assuming* that FS could take over on this particular editions.

But something draws my attention : there is no Tolkien monogram on the new FS edition, (nor on the previous FS editions for that matter).
My question is, if the FS could be in charge of editing super deluxe editions in place of HC, why wouldn't they use the Tolkien monogram (which seems to be the hallmark for official editions)?

I could be totally wrong of course, this is just a thought I was thinking about...
27 Apr, 2022
2022-4-27 2:03:55 PM UTC

Emilien wrote:

I would like to react regarding one of the points you've made in the discussion, especially the fact that the Folio society *might* assume to produce super-deluxe editions, as HC seems not producing anymore for a while.
In the discussion, you were *assuming* that FS could take over on this particular editions.

But something draws my attention : there is no Tolkien monogram on the new FS edition, (nor on the previous FS editions for that matter).
My question is, if the FS could be in charge of editing super deluxe editions in place of HC, why wouldn't they use the Tolkien monogram (which seems to be the hallmark for official editions)?

I could be totally wrong of course, this is just a thought I was thinking about...

We talked about that a little off camera. We speculated (with no evidence) that HC is very protective of both the Monogram and the facsimile signature and may be withholding those two trademarks for their own editions. However if they really commit to having FS perform this role for them, then we could begin to see some of these pop up.
27 Apr, 2022
2022-4-27 2:06:30 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Emilien wrote:

We talked about that a little off camera. We speculated (with no evidence) that HC is very protective of both the Monogram and the facsimile signature and may be withholding those two trademarks for their own editions. However if they really commit to having FS perform this role for them, then we could begin to see some of these pop up.

Thank you Chad
Makes sense.
27 Apr, 2022
2022-4-27 4:23:43 PM UTC
The copyright page does mention the monogram trademark, but that (to my knowledge) is the only place the monogram appears on the FS edition.

See this post on the other thread for an image of the copyright page. https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=38939#forumpost38939
27 Apr, 2022
2022-4-27 5:25:14 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

The copyright page does mention the monogram trademark, but that (to my knowledge) is the only place the monogram appears on the FS edition.

See this post on the other thread for an image of the copyright page. https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=38939#forumpost38939

True, I did not pay attention to it on the copyright page. Thanks Jeremy
27 Apr, 2022
2022-4-27 9:10:19 PM UTC
That was refreshingly balanced & calm. Looking forward to more of these on whatever topics you guys choose.

The only small quibble I'd have (& I understand there was probably a timing element to balance here, first impressions, discussing while topical, etc) is that it's hard to talk quality when two of the contributers don't have the books in hand. Still, an good/easy listen.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us