-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

24 Jun, 2022
2022-6-24 9:06:54 PM UTC
Wonderful artwork here.
24 Jun, 2022 (edited)
2022-6-24 10:47:18 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

I don't have any time for deciding if something is canon or not, I don't think it is a worthwhile exercise and it is only your own opinion at the end of the day.

I agree with this. I find the "is it canon?" question bizarre. It is all made-up (obviously). Great to know who made it up as that helps determine whether you might like it, but that's as far as it goes. Tolkien's legendarium is such a half-finished and internally inconsistent mess (that ordinarily would never have been published) that the concept of canon is hard to apply, anyway. A better question is "Who wrote it?".

Is the Silmarillion canon? Depends on what your internal set of rules are. It wasn't all written by JRR, that's for sure.
24 Jun, 2022
2022-6-24 10:50:07 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Wonderful artwork here.

I don't know how Alan Lee finds the time to sketch so much. He must be one of the hardest working artists out there.
24 Jun, 2022
2022-6-24 10:53:51 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Wonderful artwork here.

I don't know how Alan Lee finds the time to sketch so much. He must be one of the hardest working artists out there.

He finds the time in-between all his book signings
24 Jun, 2022
2022-6-24 10:54:42 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Stu wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Wonderful artwork here.

He finds the time in-between all his book signings

That's what I mean. Literally no time.
25 Jun, 2022
2022-6-25 12:13:58 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Wonderful artwork here.

His outout is something to marvel at. I guess he, like so many others who seem to be able to produce so easily is that they probably don't see it as work, so they are never looking at the clock to get back to the good stuff. They are living it 24/7 and as such are never not 'working'.
25 Jun, 2022
2022-6-25 6:02:02 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Trotter wrote:

I don't have any time for deciding if something is canon or not, I don't think it is a worthwhile exercise and it is only your own opinion at the end of the day.

I agree with this. I find the "is it canon?" question bizarre. It is all made-up (obviously). Great to know who made it up as that helps determine whether you might like it, but that's as far as it goes. Tolkien's legendarium is such a half-finished and internally inconsistent mess (that ordinarily would never have been published) that the concept of canon is hard to apply, anyway. A better question is "Who wrote it?".

Is the Silmarillion canon? Depends on what your internal set of rules are. It wasn't all written by JRR, that's for sure.
I find it bizzare that someone who likes and collects Tolkien isn't interested more into the matter of canon. But hey-ho, we'll agree to disagree, different strokes and stuff.
25 Jun, 2022
2022-6-25 6:56:20 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

From Brian Sibley on Twitter when asked if it was just based on the chapter in The Silmarillion.

Which chapter? This edition draws on ‘Akallabeth’? ‘Of Rings of Power’ and material from ‘Peoples of ME’, ‘Sauron Defeated’, ‘Nature of ME’, ‘The Lost Road’, ‘Letters’, ‘LOTR’ etc
UT is the glaring omission, but they are pushing UT as well right now and maybe don’t want to make it completely obsolete. Anyway, not sure how you could hang ‘Aldarion and Erendis’ on the skeleton the Tale of Years.
25 Jun, 2022
2022-6-25 7:03:15 AM UTC
I think the omission of Unfinished Tales is a mistake in that tweet, I'm sure that it will have been used for the book.
25 Jun, 2022
2022-6-25 7:54:22 AM UTC

gobbledygook wrote:

Stu wrote:

Trotter wrote:

I find it bizzare that someone who likes and collects Tolkien isn't interested more into the matter of canon. But hey-ho, we'll agree to disagree, different strokes and stuff.

I said I don't care about canon (I prefer to leave that for Star Trek and Star Wars fans to argue about -- where there are hundreds of authors). I Also said that I *do* care who wrote it, but what version of what parts of the material presented in HoME in their various inconsistent drafts are canon? I don't know how anyone could answer that, given that taking the latest version of everything would not be consistent. Christopher had this problem in preparing the Silmarillion and did his best. Canon implies there is a single consistent truth. With Tolkien's writing, there isn't one, so canon is nonsensical. And as fiction, I accept that some single truth doesn't matter anyway.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us