Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

14 Jul, 2022
2022-7-14 1:30:47 PM UTC
Minus some tacky dialogue and questionable costumes and beards I must admit that I think that looks like being a lot of fun. I will leave Tolkien behind when I watch this but watch it I will. After all, I just want the thing to be a hell of an adventure.
14 Jul, 2022
2022-7-14 1:39:16 PM UTC
Here's the press release that Amazon Studios put out with the new trailer:

CULVER CITY, California—July 14, 2022—A second teaser trailer for the highly anticipated The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power television series from Amazon Studios was released today. The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power is an epic and ambitious telling of J.R.R. Tolkien’s fabled Second Age of Middle-earth, and launches globally on Prime Video on September 2, 2022.

The new two-minute, 30-second teaser trailer delves even deeper into this series adaptation, giving fans the first look at some of Tolkien's legendary characters from the island kingdom of Númenor. The characters are Isildur (Maxim Baldry), Elendil (Lloyd Owen), Pharazôn (Trystan Gravelle), and Queen Regent Míriel (Cynthia Addai-Robinson). Additional Númenóreans also recently announced are Kemen (Leon Wadham) and Eärien (Ema Horvath).

The teaser trailer also highlights some of the realms viewers will visit over the course of the eight-part series, including the Elven realms of Lindon and Eregion, the Dwarven realm Khazad-dûm, the Southlands, the Northernmost Wastes, the Sundering Seas, and the island kingdom of Númenór.

Also featured are key cast members Galadriel (Morfydd Clark), Elrond (Robert Aramayo), High King Gil-galad (Benjamin Walker), the Harfoots Marigold Brandyfoot (Sara Zwangobani), Elanor ‘Nori’ Brandyfoot (Markella Kavenagh), Poppy Proudfellow (Megan Richards) and Sadoc Burrows (Sir Lenny Henry), The Stranger (Daniel Weyman), the Dwarves King Durin III (Peter Mullan) and Prince Durin IV (Owain Arthur), Halbrand (Charlie Vickers), and Arondir (Ismael Cruz Córdova).

The multi-season drama will launch on Prime Video in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide on Friday, September 2, with new episodes available weekly.

About The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power
Prime Video’s The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power brings to screens for the very first time the heroic legends of the fabled Second Age of Middle-earth's history. This epic drama is set thousands of years before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings books, and will take viewers back to an era in which great powers were forged, kingdoms rose to glory and fell to ruin, unlikely heroes were tested, hope hung by the finest of threads, and one of the greatest villains that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness. Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared reemergence of evil to Middle-earth. From the darkest depths of the Misty Mountains, to the majestic forests of the elf capital of Lindon, to the breathtaking island kingdom of Númenor, to the farthest reaches of the map, these kingdoms and characters will carve out legacies that live on long after they are gone.

The series is led by showrunners and executive producers J.D. Payne & Patrick McKay and stars a celebrated cast led by Cynthia Addai-Robinson, Robert Aramayo, Owain Arthur, Maxim Baldry, Nazanin Boniadi, Morfydd Clark, Ismael Cruz Córdova, Charles Edwards, Trystan Gravelle, Sir Lenny Henry, Ema Horvath, Markella Kavenagh, Tyroe Muhafidin, Sophia Nomvete, Lloyd Owen, Megan Richards, Dylan Smith, Charlie Vickers, Leon Wadham, Benjamin Walker, Daniel Weyman, and Sara Zwangobani.

Joining Payne & McKay are executive producers Lindsey Weber, Callum Greene, J.A. Bayona, Belén Atienza, Justin Doble, Jason Cahill, Gennifer Hutchison, Bruce Richmond, and Sharon Tal Yguado, as well as producers Ron Ames and Christopher Newman. Wayne Che Yip is co-executive producer and directs, along with J.A. Bayona and Charlotte Brändström.

The first teaser trailer premiered during Super Bowl LVI, in what became the most-watched Super Bowl trailer of all time, with 257 million online views in the first 24 hours of release.
14 Jul, 2022
2022-7-14 1:48:42 PM UTC
Plus:
-alot of the nature looks real
-moria
-galadriels dark vision
-woke was pretty much missing

Minus:
- everything harfoots including the painful george Lukas dialogue
- nature at elvish locations and numenorean cities look CGI/unreal
- focus on actionscenes (might just be the trailer treatment but I got PJ vibes from it)
14 Jul, 2022
2022-7-14 1:54:18 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Minus some tacky dialogue and questionable costumes and beards I must admit that I think that looks like being a lot of fun. I will leave Tolkien behind when I watch this but watch it I will. After all, I just want the thing to be a hell of an adventure.

Yes, this is a good way to approach this. This is how I am watching the show as well. This was my mentality for the G.O.T. series which were based on another set of books I enjoyed reading. I just thought, it's not Ice and Fire and that's alright...same here, it's not Tolkien but that's alright.
14 Jul, 2022
2022-7-14 2:06:37 PM UTC

northman wrote:

Minus:
- nature at elvish locations and numenorean cities look CGI/unreal

All I would say about Amazon trailers is that they tend to not look like the finished product. The same happened with The Man in the High Castle and the look turned out great. Basically, reserve judgment on that one. It might look much better.

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Yes, this is a good way to approach this. This is how I am watching the show as well. This was my mentality for the G.O.T. series which were based on another set of books I enjoyed reading. I just thought, it's not Ice and Fire and that's alright...same here, it's not Tolkien but that's alright.

I approached GOT in the same way too. I accepted going in that they are different mediums, and more importantly different people. I want to give The Rings of Power makers a fair chance to impress me and part of that, for me, is letting Tolkien be just a whisper in the distance. If we go in with the attitude that this IS TOLKIEN, we are setting ourselves up for a fall.
14 Jul, 2022
2022-7-14 2:45:30 PM UTC
I love what I’m seeing so far, and although I’m sure there will be parts or characters or dialogue or acting or whatever else that I will dislike, I’m just glad we get to return to this world and experience it in a new way.

It’s never going to be 100% perfect for me. Nor were PJ’s LOTR films (as much as I loved them), and certainly not PJ’s Hobbit films (as much as I have tried to like them).

I’m also loving the use of music and song - these have always felt important to me - especially the Rivendell theme which the trailer begins with. That’s Howard Shore right there. ?
14 Jul, 2022
2022-7-14 8:27:49 PM UTC
Here are my impressions of the latest trailer and images. As others have mentioned, this is just expensive fan fiction so there's no point in focusing on all the lore-breaking details. Instead, I'll focus on my impressions on it as a stand-alone TV show.

High Points:
- The show seems visually stunning, and the music promises to be delightful.
- Moria.
- Glimpses of the First Age.
- The short dialogue between Elrond and Galadriel.
- The shot of what Galadriel "saw" is the most interesting part of the trailer.

Mid Points:
- Some CGI is unconvincing and some of the nature looks unnatural.
- Most of the "new" characters are uninteresting and seem right out of place.
- Still no idea what the plot might be with a compressed timeline.

Low Points:
- The hobb..*ehm* harfoots look ridiculous: silly costumes, corny statements, and excessively disheveled looks.
- The dwarf queen's costume.
- The costumes of some Numenoreans.
- What's with the sun-themed helmet someome is wearing on the battlefield? Somehow it looks both comical and dangerous (in a bad way).
14 Jul, 2022
2022-7-14 9:53:28 PM UTC

Morinehtar wrote:

Here are my impressions of the latest trailer and images. As others have mentioned, this is just expensive fan fiction so there's no point in focusing on all the lore-breaking details. Instead, I'll focus on my impressions on it as a stand-alone TV show.

High Points:
- The show seems visually stunning, and the music promises to be delightful.
- Moria.
- Glimpses of the First Age.
- The short dialogue between Elrond and Galadriel.
- The shot of what Galadriel "saw" is the most interesting part of the trailer.

Mid Points:
- Some CGI is unconvincing and some of the nature looks unnatural.
- Most of the "new" characters are uninteresting and seem right out of place.
- Still no idea what the plot might be with a compressed timeline.

Low Points:
- The hobb..*ehm* harfoots look ridiculous: silly costumes, corny statements, and excessively disheveled looks.
- The dwarf queen's costume.
- The costumes of some Numenoreans.
- What's with the sun-themed helmet someome is wearing on the battlefield? Somehow it looks both comical and dangerous (in a bad way).

That's almost word-for-word the impressions I got.
14 Jul, 2022
2022-7-14 10:06:27 PM UTC
If that is a vision of the kinslaying. I am very curious to see what Galadriel they will choose to depict. Regarding the show, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. After season one we'll see what they are serving. But contemplating the show, has made me think more on the second age material already.
14 Jul, 2022
2022-7-14 10:56:47 PM UTC
I think the Harfoots are by far the worst aspect that they have shown. They look like a stone-age culture rather than a straightforward pre-industrial culture.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us