Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

7 Jul, 2022
2022-7-7 4:34:52 PM UTC

Olwe wrote:

It will now be the question as to whether CJRT's 'position' in the 'making of Middle-earth' goes beyond this function and the term 'co-author' needs to be applied, at least with the later publications, if not HoMe.

What is of interest to me is the question of copyright in this particular instance as I do believe the position of 'editor' would be treated differently to 'author' - and therefore the right to engage as the owner of these copyrights.

Christopher is listed as the copyright holder (along with the Tolkien Estate Limited) in all modern editions - the first edition lists George Allen & Unwin as the copyright holder. I think it fair to say that Christopher is considered the "owner" of the copyright, as far as when it might fall into public domain.
7 Jul, 2022
2022-7-7 7:35:54 PM UTC
I don't think the copyright of posthumous releases is in any way in question.
7 Jul, 2022
2022-7-7 8:47:24 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

I don't think the copyright of posthumous releases is in any way in question.

We will be long dead before any of this material is in the public domain. It may never end up in the public domain, given ongoing extensions to copyright as a global thing.
10 Jul, 2022
2022-7-10 12:13:33 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

We will be long dead before any of this material is in the public domain. It may never end up in the public domain, given ongoing extensions to copyright as a global thing.

Remember the "Mickey Mouse" copyright extension in the 90s?

With many valuable works set to enter the public domain in the next few years, I wonder if there'll be another copyright extension in Western countries soon.
10 Jul, 2022
2022-7-10 1:05:56 AM UTC

Morinehtar wrote:

Stu wrote:

Remember the "Mickey Mouse" copyright extension in the 90s?

With many valuable works set to enter the public domain in the next few years, I wonder if there'll be another copyright extension in Western countries soon.

Disney are not going to stop Mickey entering the public domain next time. They've realised that it's actually better to focus on the trademarks they hold. For instance, they hold a watertight trade mark for his name and that will not be available to use. Also anyone who did use Mickey's image would have to somehow make sure that it doesn't become associated with Disney, which is of course impossible and Disney will use that to sue, or at least use it as leverage. Then there is the fact that anyone using the image could only use the Steamboat Willy version, so no red pants among many other distinct aspects of the design.

The trademarks will ensure that almost no one can or will risk touching Mickey. Disney for example hold trademarks to Mickey's image being used for literally thousands of commercial ventures.

And remember, unlike copyright, these trademarks are never going away.
15 Jul, 2022
2022-7-15 2:56:14 PM UTC

Falkor wrote:

AwesomeBooks have both isbn’s listed

I’ll probably wait until they update the title and add the photo before placing an order

AwesomeBooks
AwesomeBooks has the Deluxe edition up for $57.98 USD for those in the US. Might not get it as fast as with other retailers, but at that price figure some will be worth waiting a extra bit.
15 Jul, 2022
2022-7-15 3:12:40 PM UTC

Velmeran wrote:

Falkor wrote:

I’ll probably wait until they update the title and add the photo before placing an order

AwesomeBooks
AwesomeBooks has the Deluxe edition up for $57.98 USD for those in the US. Might not get it as fast as with other retailers, but at that price figure some will be worth waiting a extra bit.

Do you know when they charge for preorders? I looked through their FAQs but couldn’t find any info. Thanks.
15 Jul, 2022
2022-7-15 8:19:17 PM UTC

Eorl the Young wrote:

Velmeran wrote:

Falkor wrote:

AwesomeBooks

Do you know when they charge for preorders? I looked through their FAQs but couldn’t find any info. Thanks.

They charge immediately.
15 Jul, 2022
2022-7-15 10:40:12 PM UTC
Thanks Stu.
21 Jul, 2022
2022-7-21 2:34:43 AM UTC
When asked on Twitter if this book was just extracting from The Silmarillion, Brian replied

This edition draws on ‘Akallabeth’, ‘Of Rings of Power’ and material from ‘Peoples of ME’, ‘Sauron Defeated’, ‘Nature of ME’, ‘The Lost Road’, ‘Letters’, ‘LOTR’ etc

https://twitter.com/BrianSibley18/stat ... &t=ShURvusSxsig1KUiuX7NXQ
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us