Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

23 Jul, 2022
2022-7-23 12:04:46 AM UTC

northman wrote:

I disagree Stu. They always have a choice of what to emphasise. Tolkien didnt write actionadventure. Read 'the mariners wife'. This series is Peter Jackson all over again .. he made a greatest hits of the few actionscenes in the LotR book, dragging some of them out endlessly. Their motivation is to make something that will make lots of money.

Amazon are a cut throat streamlined business that has spent north of $1Billion dollars on this show that has not yet been released. I doubt money is a driving factor here. They are making this as a prestige piece.
23 Jul, 2022
2022-7-23 12:10:37 AM UTC
I personally thought this newest trailer was great and I am really looking forward to this show. But I see no reason to change my approach going in. I am looking for a fun show with some great character building and great environments. Which I think Amazon has shown they are serious about. As I did with the movies, I leave Tolkien at the door.
23 Jul, 2022
2022-7-23 12:29:22 AM UTC
I would say this tv show is going to be even more fanfiction than the first trilogy of Jackson.. For several reasons. Amazon has only access to LOTR, the Hobbit and the Appendices (so all the references to characters, places or events of the SA in UT, Silmarillion, HOME or Nature of Middle Earth are off limits) and Tolkien wrote very little about the Second Age. I will try to forget the lore while watching it. I hope at least the pacing and the storylines will be good and worthy of a $500 millions tv show
23 Jul, 2022
2022-7-23 1:52:46 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

I personally thought this newest trailer was great and I am really looking forward to this show. But I see no reason to change my approach going in. I am looking for a fun show with some great character building and great environments. Which I think Amazon has shown they are serious about. As I did with the movies, I leave Tolkien at the door.

That's my take - Leave Tolkien at the door. Treat it as generic fantasy with some familiar elements and it will probably be fine. I have no doubt it will fail the "Tolkien test", but it may be a perfectly watchable TV show. That said, I only got two episodes into GoT before absolutely hating it (and never going back), so I'm aware I am not the target demographic.
23 Jul, 2022
2022-7-23 2:42:09 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

That's my take - Leave Tolkien at the door. Treat it as generic fantasy with some familiar elements and it will probably be fine. I have no doubt it will fail the "Tolkien test", but it may be a perfectly watchable TV show. That said, I only got two episodes into GoT before absolutely hating it (and never going back), so I'm aware I am not the target demographic.

Agree with both sentiments here, although you're not going to get a lot of lore/world building aspects in a trailer as these are usually action packed to hook people.

If I'm looking for Tolkien purity in an adaptation I'll be waiting forever. If I want that, it's easy to get, I just have pick up his books.
23 Jul, 2022
2022-7-23 3:58:47 AM UTC
The fact of the matter is even Tolkien himself would never have been able to make the perfect adaptation of his own works - because film is a completely different medium that involves numerous other artists and creators who are experts in their own respective fields and would undoubtedly bring their own imaginations and expertise to their contributions.

For me, if this show evokes the same sense of wonder and emotion that the LOTR films did, which encouraged me to delve back into the books, get back into reading more in general, and pursue creativity in my own small way, then I’ll say it has achieved a purpose.
23 Jul, 2022
2022-7-23 4:16:36 AM UTC
‘Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power’ Unveils Intense New Trailer at Comic-Con: Sauron, Orcs and One Angry Balrog

The panel also included five clips from the show that only played for the Comic-Con audience. They included:

• The elf Elrond (Robert Aramayo) arriving in Khazad-dûm, after which his friend, Prince Durin IV (Owain Arthur), challenges him to a battle of breaking stones until their bodies can no stand — while being cheered on by a gaggle of fellow dwarfs.
  • Harfoots Nori (Markella Kavenagh) and Poppy (Megan Richards) discovering The Stranger (Daniel Weyman), a mysterious man laying in a crater surrounded by fire that does not burn. (When asked by Colbert about who the Stranger is, Weyman deftly avoided giving any detailed answer.)
  • The silvan elf Aronir (Ismael Cruz Córdova), captured by a horde of orcs who must remain cloaked to avoid being burned by the sun, coordinating an escape with other fellow elves.
  • Galadriel and Elrond greeting each other in elvish, and Elrond wanting to hear of Galadriel’s journeys.
  • Galadriel and Halbrand (Charlie Vickers) arriving in the lavish island kingdom of Númenor on the ship of Elendil (Lloyd Owen) — easily the most epic sequence previewed during the panel, allowing to showcase the meticulous world-building in the show and McCreary’s soaring music.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/lord- ... ler-comic-con-1235320595/
23 Jul, 2022
2022-7-23 4:34:22 AM UTC
There was also a scene shown with Morgoth (and hints of Ungoliant?) destroying the Two Trees.
23 Jul, 2022 (edited)
2022-7-23 5:07:53 AM UTC
They did 3 Q&A Panels with the cast, on different platforms for some reason.

1 - Youtube
Panel 1.JPG

https://t.co/9ZXdQpGVMB

2 - Amazon
Panel 3.JPG

https://www.amazon.com/live/broadcast/ ... collsguid-20&linkCode=osi

3 - Facebook
Panel 2.JPG

https://www.facebook.com/LOTRonPrime/videos/409765174462807/
23 Jul, 2022
2022-7-23 9:18:38 AM UTC

Eorl the Young wrote:

The fact of the matter is even Tolkien himself would never have been able to make the perfect adaptation of his own works - because film is a completely different medium that involves numerous other artists and creators who are experts in their own respective fields and would undoubtedly bring their own imaginations and expertise to their contributions.

For me, if this show evokes the same sense of wonder and emotion that the LOTR films did, which encouraged me to delve back into the books, get back into reading more in general, and pursue creativity in my own small way, then I’ll say it has achieved a purpose.

Film being a different medium has nothing to do with this. Nor is this a question of purism. Ridley Scotts 'blade runner' is a great movie. It's not purism, but it's done seriously. Apocalypse now is another great adaptation. Its not the fault of the medium in any way that Tolkien on screen ends up becoming generic actionadventure stuff.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us