Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

28 Jul, 2022
2022-7-28 8:07:09 PM UTC
So expensive, even without dust jacket!
28 Jul, 2022
2022-7-28 9:27:41 PM UTC

Morinehtar wrote:

This is actually not bad in today’s market…If it had the jacket and was in better shape the asking price would be four times this.
28 Jul, 2022
2022-7-28 11:57:21 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Morinehtar wrote:

This is actually not bad in today’s market…If it had the jacket and was in better shape the asking price would be four times this.

I wonder how copies like this fit in with the market, though. It isn't remotely good enough for an "investment grade" collector and it is probably too expensive (for what it is) for a lower/mid-range collector like myself. There clearly seems to be movement in this area as quite a few unremarkable 1938 Hobbits have been selling, but it seems like it must be quite a small market (albeit all it needs is one buyer).
29 Jul, 2022
2022-7-29 1:29:30 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Morinehtar wrote:

I wonder how copies like this fit in with the market, though. It isn't remotely good enough for an "investment grade" collector and it is probably too expensive (for what it is) for a lower/mid-range collector like myself. There clearly seems to be movement in this area as quite a few unremarkable 1938 Hobbits have been selling, but it seems like it must be quite a small market (albeit all it needs is one buyer).

You are right that this one isn’t in investment shape for a non Tolkien collector looking to store their money. But I think that fact that it’s a 1st print is the driving factor here.
29 Jul, 2022
2022-7-29 9:20:32 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Stu wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Morinehtar wrote:

You are right that this one isn’t in investment shape for a non Tolkien collector looking to store their money. But I think that fact that it’s a 1st print is the driving factor here.

Hobbit prices are still out there, look at what someone paid for these.
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: bushido-books
(319)
Ended Jul 28, 2022
This item ended more than 90 days ago

(320)
Ended Jul 28, 2022
29 Jul, 2022
2022-7-29 9:34:25 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Stu wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Morinehtar wrote:

Hobbit prices are still out there, look at what someone paid for these.
(319)
Ended Jul 28, 2022

(320)
Ended Jul 28, 2022

I feel like those two are extreme outliers. But like I said, it only takes one buyer (that has no idea and too much money).
30 Jul, 2022
2022-7-30 5:04:18 AM UTC
I think we will see price increases in UK second editions taking place because if you want to get a copy of the Hobbit with an original dust-jacket, most collectors can completely rule out US & UK 1st edition Hobbits.

The dust-jacket is such an iconic part of this book that I think people will end up paying more for editions with dust-jackets.
30 Jul, 2022 (edited)
2022-7-30 5:27:21 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

I think we will see price increases in UK second editions taking place because if you want to get a copy of the Hobbit with an original dust-jacket, most collectors can completely rule out US & UK 1st edition Hobbits.

The dust-jacket is such an iconic part of this book that I think people will end up paying more for editions with dust-jackets.

I don't disagree - I just think those specific sales were outliers as those years are regularly selling for a lot less, particularly the 1959 11th (which is actually one of the more common years). And the price for the 56 was very high, given the water damage. But I do think the driver for these is undoubtedly the similarity of the jacket to earlier copies.
1 Aug, 2022
2022-8-1 11:01:05 PM UTC
Seller: ericjmz
(3676)
Ended Jul 31, 2022
Seller: jlar1961
(168)
Ended Jul 30, 2022
Seller: jimjammy30
(394)
Ended Aug 8, 2022
7 Aug, 2022
2022-8-7 4:08:45 PM UTC
Seller: greattechbuys2021
(22)
Ended Aug 7, 2022
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us