Tolkien Collector's Guide
Jul 28
2022/7/28 20:07:09 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
So expensive, even without dust jacket!
Jul 28
2022/7/28 21:27:41 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Morinehtar wrote:

So expensive, even without dust jacket!

This is actually not bad in today’s market…If it had the jacket and was in better shape the asking price would be four times this.
Jul 28
2022/7/28 23:57:21 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Morinehtar wrote:

So expensive, even without dust jacket!

This is actually not bad in today’s market…If it had the jacket and was in better shape the asking price would be four times this.

I wonder how copies like this fit in with the market, though. It isn't remotely good enough for an "investment grade" collector and it is probably too expensive (for what it is) for a lower/mid-range collector like myself. There clearly seems to be movement in this area as quite a few unremarkable 1938 Hobbits have been selling, but it seems like it must be quite a small market (albeit all it needs is one buyer).
Jul 29
2022/7/29 1:29:30 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Stu wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Morinehtar wrote:

So expensive, even without dust jacket!

This is actually not bad in today’s market…If it had the jacket and was in better shape the asking price would be four times this.

I wonder how copies like this fit in with the market, though. It isn't remotely good enough for an "investment grade" collector and it is probably too expensive (for what it is) for a lower/mid-range collector like myself. There clearly seems to be movement in this area as quite a few unremarkable 1938 Hobbits have been selling, but it seems like it must be quite a small market (albeit all it needs is one buyer).

You are right that this one isn’t in investment shape for a non Tolkien collector looking to store their money. But I think that fact that it’s a 1st print is the driving factor here.
Jul 29
2022/7/29 21:20:32 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Stu wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Morinehtar wrote:

So expensive, even without dust jacket!

This is actually not bad in today’s market…If it had the jacket and was in better shape the asking price would be four times this.

I wonder how copies like this fit in with the market, though. It isn't remotely good enough for an "investment grade" collector and it is probably too expensive (for what it is) for a lower/mid-range collector like myself. There clearly seems to be movement in this area as quite a few unremarkable 1938 Hobbits have been selling, but it seems like it must be quite a small market (albeit all it needs is one buyer).

You are right that this one isn’t in investment shape for a non Tolkien collector looking to store their money. But I think that fact that it’s a 1st print is the driving factor here.

Hobbit prices are still out there, look at what someone paid for these.
Seller: bushido-books
(319)
Ended Jul 28, 2022
Buy-It-Now:
£1,995.00
Submitted by: Trotter

Seller: bushido-books
(320)
Ended Jul 28, 2022
Buy-It-Now:
£1,200.00
Submitted by: Mr. Underhill
Jul 29
2022/7/29 21:34:25 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Stu wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Morinehtar wrote:

So expensive, even without dust jacket!

This is actually not bad in today’s market…If it had the jacket and was in better shape the asking price would be four times this.

I wonder how copies like this fit in with the market, though. It isn't remotely good enough for an "investment grade" collector and it is probably too expensive (for what it is) for a lower/mid-range collector like myself. There clearly seems to be movement in this area as quite a few unremarkable 1938 Hobbits have been selling, but it seems like it must be quite a small market (albeit all it needs is one buyer).

You are right that this one isn’t in investment shape for a non Tolkien collector looking to store their money. But I think that fact that it’s a 1st print is the driving factor here.

Hobbit prices are still out there, look at what someone paid for these.
Seller: bushido-books
(319)
Ended Jul 28, 2022
Buy-It-Now:
£1,995.00
Submitted by: Trotter

Seller: bushido-books
(320)
Ended Jul 28, 2022
Buy-It-Now:
£1,200.00
Submitted by: Mr. Underhill


I feel like those two are extreme outliers. But like I said, it only takes one buyer (that has no idea and too much money).
Jul 30
2022/7/30 5:04:18 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I think we will see price increases in UK second editions taking place because if you want to get a copy of the Hobbit with an original dust-jacket, most collectors can completely rule out US & UK 1st edition Hobbits.

The dust-jacket is such an iconic part of this book that I think people will end up paying more for editions with dust-jackets.
Jul 30 (edited)
2022/7/30 5:27:21 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Trotter wrote:

I think we will see price increases in UK second editions taking place because if you want to get a copy of the Hobbit with an original dust-jacket, most collectors can completely rule out US & UK 1st edition Hobbits.

The dust-jacket is such an iconic part of this book that I think people will end up paying more for editions with dust-jackets.

I don't disagree - I just think those specific sales were outliers as those years are regularly selling for a lot less, particularly the 1959 11th (which is actually one of the more common years). And the price for the 56 was very high, given the water damage. But I do think the driver for these is undoubtedly the similarity of the jacket to earlier copies.
Aug 1
2022/8/1 23:01:05 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Seller: ericjmz
(3676)
Ended Jul 31, 2022
Buy-It-Now:
$88.88
Submitted by: Urulókë
Seller: jlar1961
(168)
Ended Jul 30, 2022
EUR 38.95
[1 Bids]
Submitted by: Urulókë
Seller: jimjammy30
(394)
Ended Aug 8, 2022
£180.00
[0 Bids]
Submitted by: wheresrob
Aug 7
2022/8/7 16:08:45 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Seller: greattechbuys2021
(22)
Ended Aug 7, 2022
Buy-It-Now:
$4,464.00
Submitted by: Mr. Underhill
Jump to Last