Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

3 Aug, 2022
2022-8-3 11:12:18 PM UTC

ToTheBottleIGo wrote:

Not sure if this is off topic, but is there any news whether the show will have a blu ray release? Similar question regarding the soundtrack, will there be a physical release? Cd or preferably vinyl? There were two tracks already dropped on the amazon music streaming, but I failed to find them on spotify or on Tidal. Does anybody know if this will be an amazon music exclusive? I sincerely hope not, that would be a slippery slope for soundtrack releases and exclusivity in my humble opinion.

No chance they will release a bluray of this show. Amazon have only released one show to physical and that was an anime series and they were contracted to release it. I am waiting hopelessly for a release of the Man in the High Castle and I know it never will be released. As for a soundtrack, I imagine they could do but again I doubt it.

That it sets some sort of precedent? A slippery slope? That train left the station years ago.
3 Aug, 2022
2022-8-3 11:29:29 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

ToTheBottleIGo wrote:

Not sure if this is off topic, but is there any news whether the show will have a blu ray release? Similar question regarding the soundtrack, will there be a physical release? Cd or preferably vinyl? There were two tracks already dropped on the amazon music streaming, but I failed to find them on spotify or on Tidal. Does anybody know if this will be an amazon music exclusive? I sincerely hope not, that would be a slippery slope for soundtrack releases and exclusivity in my humble opinion.

No chance they will release a bluray of this show. Amazon have only released one show to physical and that was an anime series and they were contracted to release it. I am waiting hopelessly for a release of the Man in the High Castle and I know it never will be released. As for a soundtrack, I imagine they could do but again I doubt it.

That it sets some sort of precedent? A slippery slope? That train left the station years ago.

Ya, I won’t say zero percent chance, but for the most part demand for physical copies of TV shows has dropped off significantly in recent years. I could see a boxset of all seasons once the show is finished.
3 Aug, 2022
2022-8-3 11:48:21 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

ToTheBottleIGo wrote:

Ya, I won’t say zero percent chance, but for the most part demand for physical copies of TV shows has dropped off significantly in recent years. I could see a boxset of all seasons once the show is finished.

At its peak, physical media was hitting 2 billion sales a year, now it is closer to 300 million. It is an enormous dip. DVD/BD won't go away though. There will always be a dedicated market for quality over convenience. I am one of them. I want quality picture because I am into directors who care about the visuals. Streaming does not offer the same quality. No matter how many people keep saying it. Streaming quality is toilet paper to bluray/4K's silk hanky. And all these people who only stream do not own anything. It can be taken away at a moments notice.

I honestly cannot see a release of this on physical disc. People will pay for at least 5 years of subscription and by then many will stick around to keep watching.
4 Aug, 2022
2022-8-4 12:11:35 AM UTC
The slippery slope was regarding album releases exclusively on one musicstreaming platform. But your probably right that also is an unstoppable trend. Can anyone confirm that it will be an Amazon Music exclusive release?

Regarding physical copies, there is a niche market out there for high quality blu rays editions. But it's a real pity that most people blindly fall into the videostreaming platform trap. So many films out there will be impossible to find in a couple of years time. I still buy dvd's and blu rays and the day they stop making players I will buy me a handfull of them to last me my lifetime. So I really hope this will have a physical release.
4 Aug, 2022
2022-8-4 12:21:40 AM UTC

ToTheBottleIGo wrote:

The slippery slope was regarding album releases exclusively on one musicstreaming platform. But your probably right that also is an unstoppable trend. Can anyone confirm that it will be an Amazon Music exclusive release?

Regarding physical copies, there is a niche market out there for high quality blu rays editions. But it's a real pity that most people blindly fall into the videostreaming platform trap. So many films out there will be impossible to find in a couple of years time. I still buy dvd's and blu rays and the day they stop making players I will buy me a handfull of them to last me my lifetime. So I really hope this will have a physical release.

DVD and bluray will be around for a long time. There is a healthy market for them and players too. It's just now a smaller market. But those who are left are the people who want quality and are willing to pay for it. And with 4K upgrades we will be buying our favourite movies and TV shows for years to come.

But this show, I'd stake my life on it not coming out for at least a couple of decades, if ever. It's just not in Amazon's interests to do so unless the show is a total flop and they want to capture some sales among the few faithful to it.
4 Aug, 2022
2022-8-4 12:32:40 AM UTC

ToTheBottleIGo wrote:

I’m a big fan of the LOTR / TH soundtracks and have collected various editions of the OSTs to the CRs in all their formats.

I too hope there will be a physical release for this new soundtrack and have enquired with several of my contacts specifically about this but haven’t heard definitely.
4 Aug, 2022
2022-8-4 12:44:11 AM UTC
For what it’s worth, Season 1 of Amazon’s recent foray into fantasy “Wheel of Time” has a physical release, as does its soundtrack.

Physical is another source of revenue, and although sales may be dropping, we ought to look at it from the perspective of numerous countries that don’t have reliable or cheap internet for streaming. Seeing as Amazon is heavily marketing ROP worldwide including in local languages, I can see them releasing physical versions to tap into these markets.
4 Aug, 2022
2022-8-4 2:30:37 AM UTC

Eorl the Young wrote:

For what it’s worth, Season 1 of Amazon’s recent foray into fantasy “Wheel of Time” has a physical release, as does its soundtrack.

Physical is another source of revenue, and although sales may be dropping, we ought to look at it from the perspective of numerous countries that don’t have reliable or cheap internet for streaming. Seeing as Amazon is heavily marketing ROP worldwide including in local languages, I can see them releasing physical versions to tap into these markets.

True, Wheel of Time did see a very small physical release after the first season ended on Blue Ray, and that is a good point that not all parts of the world have reliable internet for streaming, although I'm not entirely sure many of those parts will be a large enough market to see wide spread DVD/Blue Ray release.

AmZ wants you to buy a Prime membership and is hoping ROP will be a gateway into using their service for a variety of other things, and giving people an option to see ROP without buying a prime membership just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for their business model.
4 Aug, 2022
2022-8-4 3:31:55 AM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

AmZ wants you to buy a Prime membership and is hoping ROP will be a gateway into using their service for a variety of other things, and giving people an option to see ROP without buying a prime membership just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for their business model.
While Amazon is hoping to attract people into buying (or keeping) a Prime membership, if the MSRP was close to the annual cost of a Prime subscription then I'd imagine it would be a wash to the bean-counters.

Lose out on the chance of someone keeping a subscription for additional year/years, but offset that without utilizing the other benefits of a Prime subscription which do have a $$ associated with them.
4 Aug, 2022
2022-8-4 6:09:53 AM UTC
When to comes to physical products, there’s also the opportunity to double dip, or triple dip, or quadruple dip, as the case may be.

A single fixed cost Prime membership gives you complete access to everything on the platform - now and forever - I don’t think I’ve come across exclusive content that needs additional payment besides the Prime charge.

But with physical products, studios can capitalise on neverending releases like theatrical versions, director’s cuts, extended editions, box sets, anniversary editions, additional BTS content… the list goes on.

Even simply repackaging the same versions can be sufficient to generate new sales from hardcore fans.

For a multi-year franchise like ROP, I can see physical products being a huge profit stream.

HBO did it with GOT, repackaging the same old content multiple times.

Fans buy these “repeat products” for the cover artwork, if for no other reason. Or for an accompanying exclusive, limited edition collectible.

I don’t think Amazon will want to miss out on millions (if not billions) of $$$ in additional sales from such revenue streams.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us