Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

13 Jul, 2022
2022-7-13 6:06:44 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Why was the 10-ISBN system retained after ISBN-13 was introduced? i understand fro existing books but new ones?

Software, primarily. Huge databases and systems for publishers, distributors and booksellers that were hard-coded to have 10 digit ISBNs and would need to migrate to the new format, which doesn't happen overnight (or even "over-year").
13 Jul, 2022 (edited)
2022-7-13 8:18:41 PM UTC
These look an awful lot like the '07 paperback set that is still in print from HarperCollins just with stained edges. Can't see a whole lot of differences (can't miss that signature though )...not complaining though, I do like em.

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=419
14 Jul, 2022
2022-7-14 2:58:54 AM UTC

Eorl the Young wrote:

Trotter wrote:

The last Waterstones exclusive edition was the 2013 cloth bound hardbacks, so they do not do them that often.

I meant to say in general there seem to be one too many LOTR editions being released.

I suppose outside of the collectors space, the plethora of editions probably doesn't really register. I do wonder what the point of this edition is, and whether anyone who wasn't already going to buy an edition would bother buying this one, because the page edges have spray paint in them. Presumably Waterstones thinks they will get a better share of the market with this.
14 Jul, 2022
2022-7-14 3:05:18 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Eorl the Young wrote:

Trotter wrote:

The last Waterstones exclusive edition was the 2013 cloth bound hardbacks, so they do not do them that often.

I meant to say in general there seem to be one too many LOTR editions being released.

I suppose outside of the collectors space, the plethora of editions probably doesn't really register. I do wonder what the point of this edition is, and whether anyone who wasn't already going to buy an edition would bother buying this one, because the page edges have spray paint in them. Presumably Waterstones thinks they will get a better share of the market with this.

Yes I guess that’s what I was trying to get at…

For a casual reader, they’d pick up the prettier or cheapest paperback.

For a fan, who probably already has several editions, or simply wants to replace their worn out reading copy, the “exclusivity” of this edition eludes me, unless I am missing something.

I guess Waterstones is aware a “completist” market exists somewhere in the Tolkien space and is trying to get a piece of that pie (because why not?!) ?
14 Jul, 2022
2022-7-14 5:55:41 AM UTC

Eorl the Young wrote:

Stu wrote:

Eorl the Young wrote:

Trotter wrote:

Yes I guess that’s what I was trying to get at…

For a casual reader, they’d pick up the prettier or cheapest paperback.

For a fan, who probably already has several editions, or simply wants to replace their worn out reading copy, the “exclusivity” of this edition eludes me, unless I am missing something.

I guess Waterstones is aware a “completist” market exists somewhere in the Tolkien space and is trying to get a piece of that pie (because why not?!) ?

I might be wrong, but I can't imagine the completist market is that big for trade paperbacks.
4 Oct, 2022
2022-10-4 5:42:26 AM UTC
Saw these in Waterstones yesterday, but did not buy them as they did not have a whole set in good condition.
6 Oct, 2022
2022-10-6 11:39:51 PM UTC
Went into my local Waterstones yesterday to enquire about these. Official publication date is 6th October apparently. They will be getting some in in the next 2-3 days. They are reserving me a set (with no obligation) so will be able to take a good look at them before buying.
7 Oct, 2022
2022-10-7 12:03:12 AM UTC
Ordered them online - but seems they have some issues with their warehouse systems: Got this email yesterday:

"Thank you for your recent order for the item(s) below from Waterstones. Sadly, due to ongoing issues prompted by the very necessary upgrade of our warehouse management system, we have not been able to despatch your order to you in our usual timely manner. As a result, whilst your order is active and your item secured, it will be arriving later than anticipated.

We are very sorry for this delay and predict that our new system will soon be working as planned with much greater reliability and customer efficiency than before. In the meantime, we look forward to fulfilling your order at the earliest opportunity."
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us